College Basketball Thread 2014-15

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Gonzaga looked much less dominating the last 2 games. Few said they were playing 2 teams that were going to be tournament teams at the end of the year (Georgia and St. Johns). Perhaps, but they aren't top-25 right now.
It appeared that both teams were able to get the Zags off their game a bit by being extra physical and doing a lot of slapping at the ball, reaching, etc. Basically they made the games very sloppy and it worked against Gonzaga.

getnasty

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2mgpzks2 said:
Gonzaga looked much less dominating the last 2 games. Few said they were playing 2 teams that were going to be tournament teams at the end of the year (Georgia and St. Johns). Perhaps, but they aren't top-25 right now.
It appeared that both teams were able to get the Zags off their game a bit by being extra physical and doing a lot of slapping at the ball, reaching, etc. Basically they made the games very sloppy and it worked against Gonzaga.

When Gonzaga play teams from bigger conferences they still dont match up athletically. Thats always been there biggest problem, I will say this year there much better then past years.

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2vshp5sz said:

The last two teams are some of the more athletic teams in the nation, maybe not top 25 skill wise but definitely in terms of athleticism. They dirtied the game up, and those are games that the Zags have lost in the past. Zags did a good job showing some grit this week and stopping their runs when it counted. Can't wait to play Zona next weekend!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Gonzaga is not yet a Final Four team. No one to step up and hit a bucket with the game on the line. You gotta have a clutch guy or two and there was nobody clutch for them yesterday. Pangos drove the key and turned it over at least twice rather than stopping for the pull up jumper (you're not 6'7" dude). They had a 6 point lead with 3:00 left and never scored another point in regulation. Someone who's actually clutch, please step up!

razgriz737

Reaction score
I honestly don't feel that bad about the loss. It stung to lose the lead in the end, but Arizona is a damn good team. No doubt it was a very good learning experience.

davidonmi

Reaction score
how about that husky basketball team? Took it to SDSU tonight
They aren't great offensively by any means but defensively they've looked really stout. Granted SDSU was anemic shooting the ball, but after watching them earlier against Utah and Arizona I'd have to think the husky defense was at least some part of that.
Goss and Upshaw may both be 1st round picks.
I know it's early, but they should be ranked tomorrow

SonicHawk

Reaction score
How can you call Gonzaga 'not yet a final four team'?

They should have beaten Arizona, they played a better game than them and are more consistent. Considering that Sabonis actually had a horrific game they played better than they should have. That Polish kid has finally become a legitimate basketball player as well.

Arizona is going to struggle on offense, Ashley is about their only real threat.

Huskies look reallll good and I LOVE it. Good to have 2 teams relevant again in CB in the state. I think the Dawgs are the second best team in the conference.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I wouldn't put them above Utah nor Arizona, both those teams have looked extremely impressive.
Outside of those 2 no one in the PAC outside of maybe UW is very good. I think UW is the 3rd best in the PAC and probably a tourney team

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SonicHawk":u2oxh2rm said:
How can you call Gonzaga 'not yet a final four team'?

They should have beaten Arizona, they played a better game than them and are more consistent. Considering that Sabonis actually had a horrific game they played better than they should have. That Polish kid has finally become a legitimate basketball player as well.

Arizona is going to struggle on offense, Ashley is about their only real threat.

Huskies look reallll good and I LOVE it. Good to have 2 teams relevant again in CB in the state. I think the Dawgs are the second best team in the conference.
Until I watch the Zags and see someone step up in the clutch *cough Pangos & Bell* cough, I will hold that opinion. Maybe I'm too hard on them, but they literally gagged in the last 3 mins. vs. AZ and I found it rather concerning. Winning teams find a way to win and perform in the clutch......Seahawks/Russell Wilson for example. Of course I would love to be wrong and REALLY want to see them finally get the FF berth.

"The Polish kid" is Karnowski and he has definitely improved. Very nice to see. Sabonis is going to be good, but likely not this year as he's too raw and often in foul trouble. Wiltjer seems a bit up and down but may be the key to a Final Four run.

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
Zags will get better with Perkins back later and Eric McClellan eligible in Jamuary.

I'm not completely sold on UW yet, Upshaw either plays well or is a foul magnet. SDSU is good defensively but may have one the nations worst offenses. UW better not sleep on EWU on Sunday, beat Indiana and coming off a road win at USF

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawks509":15l52ygi said:
Zags will get better with Perkins back later and Eric McClellan eligible in Jamuary.

I'm not completely sold on UW yet, Upshaw either plays well or is a foul magnet. SDSU is good defensively but may have one the nations worst offenses. UW better not sleep on EWU on Sunday, beat Indiana and coming off a road win at USF
Agree with both your points.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Can't wait until March when UW's quality wins over SDSU and Oklahoma somehow don't count.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
hawks509":flegjbcx said:

Soooooo?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
hawks509":3w4isf2t said:

10-0 With 2 wins over Top 15 teams, who has Gonzaga beat? What more does UW need to do?

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
*Cough, EWU*

I'll let you guys enjoy your UW basketball, doesn't mean I have to buy in. As I said SDSU has the nations worst offense and Oklahoma shouldn't have been ranked (look at their schedule). I'm actually happy for any Washington school to do well, even though I dislike Romar, I'm just not convinced on them yet.

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
While we're at it, who had SDSU beat? We're they ever really a #15 team? Especially after losing Quinn? Let's not crucify anyone based on preseason rankings, we all know how pointless they are.

I'll be the first to admit that UW is much better than previous years, although they really had nowhere to go but up.

You can not be sold on the Zags, just as I'm not sold on UW

davidonmi

Reaction score
Well they did beat Utah, BYU but point taken.
I don't think UW has had a great great win yet, but Utep Oklahoma and SDSU are all quality wins and at least 2 will likely end up being RPI top 50 wins

davidonmi

Reaction score
They aren't as good as Gonzaga, but they're fun to watch this year

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
Quality for sure, and the same point goes for the Zags, preseason rankings are purely speculation. League plays reveal a lot for every team