Clowney

Wartooth

Reaction score
He had 3 sacks all season...
I realize he is disruptive, and that sacks don't tell the whole story, plus he defends the run well.
But, I don't think they should over pay him like an elite pass rusher...
When he isn't.
He's a nice player, but I don't think he's worth a big chunk of cap space.
Time will tell.

massari

Reaction score
truehawksfan":30bv8d8h said:
Yes. He have over 60 Mil in cap space.

You can add 12 Mil more If we release Ed Dickson and Britt.

KJ’s cap number is 8Mil. I suspect we’ll either release him or restructure.

Either way, we have a lot of cap space to work with.
hmm Spotrac has it at $68M and Overthecap has it at $63M

The NFL salary cap is expected to increase 8-$13M for 2020

So after releasing Britt, KJ and Dickson they could have around $90M in cap room.

Hopefully they can get Britt and Wright back at a better price.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This defense without Clowney this year is the worst in the league. It already was almost that with him. You can't afford to lose Clowney.

NJlargent

Reaction score
You cannot afford to lose Clowney. He is our pass rush at the moment and I have zero confidence we will find his replacement after trade downs. As a matter of fact, I am quite confidence we will draft a complete bust. Find a way to play him because without him we would have gotten crushed yesterday. Pay him period.

Gio

Reaction score
If we don't re-sign him this DLine is done !

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is no scenario where Clowney isn't the #1 priority this off season. You give him Clark/Mack money.

He's 26, in his prime and just proved to you that he's one of the all time ballers in the league who risked and played through a really bad injury to help his team.

Pay the man.

Elemas

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j0pbfr25 said:
There is no scenario where Clowney isn't the #1 priority this off season. You give him Clark/Mack money.

He's 26, in his prime and just proved to you that he's one of the all time ballers in the league who risked and played through a really bad injury to help his team.

Pay the man.

Agree but, afraid we're not going to do it. We desperately need to bring him back.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1216756181399744512[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dlmu43p said:

Pay the man.

Wow, that is some really strong Kool-Aid you are attempting to sell. There are plenty of scenario's we don't sign him, and no he's not worth Mack money and this is #1 reason why.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jadeveon-clowney/6932

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3iz2bcr6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3iz2bcr6 said:

Pay the man.

Wow, that is some really strong Kool-Aid you are attempting to sell. There are plenty of scenario's we don't sign him, and no he's not worth Mack money and this is #1 reason why.

Damn right I'm drinking the Kool Aid, cause I shutter to think just how bad this D-line is going to be without Clowney, or Jefferson or Reed for that matter.

What, we're going to draft ANOTHER late 1st or early 2nd round reach that crashes his ATV or spends the entire season on the inactive list?

I get that Clowney's a risk, but he's also one of the best D-lineman in the league that's a complete and utter disruptive game wrecker.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Wartooth":1ug732v2 said:
He had 3 sacks all season...
I realize he is disruptive, and that sacks don't tell the whole story, plus he defends the run well.
But, I don't think they should over pay him like an elite pass rusher...
When he isn't.
He's a nice player, but I don't think he's worth a big chunk of cap space.
Time will tell.
100 percent this. I honestly think he's more effective against the run than he is against the pass. Elite pass rushers find a way to bring the opposing QB down. He's never reached double digit sacks in the regular season in his 6 years in the league.

Again, I'm not saying he's not a force, because he is, but he is not an elite pass rusher, so no way should he be paid top tier pass rusher money.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Gio":3oy0v617 said:
If we don't re-sign him this DLine is done !
And that is because of the putrid effort Pete and John have put into the DLine over the past few years. They can try and try all they want, but it comes down to poor drafting, poor FA signings, and poor player development.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3udfr2to said:
Seymour":3udfr2to said:
Sgt. Largent":3udfr2to said:

Pay the man.

Damn right I'm drinking the Kool Aid, cause I shutter to think just how bad this D-line is going to be without Clowney, or Jefferson or Reed for that matter.

What, we're going to draft ANOTHER late 1st or early 2nd round reach that crashes his ATV or spends the entire season on the inactive list?

I get that Clowney's a risk, but he's also one of the best D-lineman in the league that's a complete and utter disruptive game wrecker.

Please tell us how many games did he wreck exactly?

I can think of 1, and that title would be a stretch for even that game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2sflvvkj said:
Sgt. Largent":2sflvvkj said:
Seymour":2sflvvkj said:
Sgt. Largent":2sflvvkj said:

Pay the man.

Please tell us how many games did he wreck exactly?

I can think of 1, and that title would be a stretch for even that game.

Other than the last game of the year against SF, all of them. If you can't see that Clowney was literally the only disruptive player down the stretch, and especially in our two playoff games, I don't know what you're watching.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1216779078994280448[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Just because he was the only disruptive player at times, does not put him into the same category as a true game wrecker like Chandler Jones with 19 sacks being paid $16M per year. So you want to compete paying a 3 sack guy $22M and hamper yourself from finding and signing guys like Diggs that come available?

Good luck with that. Our D flat out sucked with Clowney at $8M. Don't expect it to improve by paying him $22M!!! :177692:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I'm going to work on some cap stuff this week --- but keep in mind that usually once you start adding things up teams have less room than you think. I'm pretty sure the $60M is a big high but regardless the Seahawks will have space available to sign Clowney and take care of a few other needs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3pob5s9k said:
Just because he was the only disruptive player at times, does not put him into the same category as a true game wrecker like Chandler Jones with 19 sacks being paid $16M per year. So you want to compete paying a 3 sack guy $22M and hamper yourself from finding and signing guys like Diggs that come available?

Good luck with that. Our D flat out sucked with Clowney at $8M. Don't expect it to improve by paying him $22M!!! :177692:

Well it sure as hell isn't going improve with how we've drafted D-linemen of late.

I get that Clowney isn't the answer only, loud and clear. But he's a start, and without him I'd love to hear your gameplan for rebuilding the D-line. Why don't you be proactive Seymour, instead of just crapping on everyone else's opinions.

Let's hear it, gimme your gameplan for the defense.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v7h1aac said:
Seymour":2v7h1aac said:

Well it sure as hell isn't going improve with how we've drafted D-linemen of late.

I get that Clowney isn't the answer only, loud and clear. But he's a start, and without him I'd love to hear your gameplan for rebuilding the D-line. Why don't you be proactive Seymour, instead of just crapping on everyone else's opinions.

Let's hear it, gimme your gameplan for the defense.

Crapping over EVERYONE'S opinion or debating yours? :roll:

I'm not the only one that thinks his price will be too high for what he brings. Do it with speed / motor rotational guys that you can keep fresh like we did with Clemons, Avril, Bennett all with reasonable contracts, all signed from outside. Those 3 are cheaper combined then Clowney's new deal will be.

Then, when "the guy" goes down you don't have so much riding on it. You also have less injury concern as they will have less reps.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think Clowney's role needs to be filled by a free agent. Im with Seymour here and I don't think it has to be Clowney.