Clayton still Screaming LUCK for OROY

Seatown001

Reaction score
I think they should just split the award 3 ways, you really can make a case for each guy (if you only judge up until now, after the playoffs maybe one will emerge)

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about this.
How good would the Hawks record be, if Russell Wilson was anointed the starter before even getting into training camp?
Does anyone remember how we lost the Arizona game in AZ?
We had first and goal I think 6 times inside the AZ 10 and we couldn't convert. Given how the playbook has been opened of late, I can't even imagine us not converting on 1 and goal again.
To me, the fact that RGIII and Andrew Luck were named started basically back in April gave them a massive advantage over RW.
The playbook was opened for RW really only around the Miami/Chicago games. A week before the season, RW was still splitting reps with Matt Flynn, for crying out loud. One more win would have given us the division and the #2 seed. Think about it for a minute.

themunn

Reaction score
the more I think about it, the more I realise it's a pretty rubbish reward

I couldn't name any winners past Cam Newton and Von Miller last year.
Recognition is nice, but unless it's the MVP most people won't really remember (imo, anyway)

SeaWolv

Reaction score
themunn":33gmc9kg said:
However I can't agree that it's not possible for a QB to carry a team that was a contender not long before, I'd say Matt Hasselbeck carried our 2007 team that was a superbowl team 2 years prior, and certainly by 2009 was devoid of talent.

I would not debate this point. However, you could easily use the comparison of the 2011 vs. the 2012 Seahahwks as proof of RW's value. Same basic talent outside QB, same coaching staff very different results but that doesn't mean RW "carried" the team. He did make the difference though. Luck did the same. All things being equal in this regards I say RW is ROY because he has higher QBR, higher completion percentage more TD passes and more rushing yards than Luck. He should get it over RG3 because no one ever expected his numbers to be as good in almost every category and yet he was a 3rd rounder.

Tical21

Reaction score
pinksheets":20b15qt5 said:
Tical21":20b15qt5 said:
The colts had an awful roster with manning. It is even far worse now. It shouldnt be held against luck that he had to throw more. The dude put his entire team on his back. Russell didn't. So Russ should have and did have more efficient results.

To me, the best way to determine the winner is to try to picture what the players seasons would have played out like if their roles were reversed. Wilson certainly had the far easier task, i don't think that is debatable. Can somebody answer this question...how many games would the colts have won if wilson was their qb?
Luck shouldn't get extra points because the Colts tanked their season by starting Painter either.

If you want to give a guy ROY who had a worse season but had excuses for having it, go ahead, just doesn't seem right to me. "Sure, Luck was worse than the other two, but.....". Don't get that, personally.

When did I ever mention anything about the Colts record last year? Player for player, the Colts have one of the 5 worst rosters in the NFL. They had one of the 7-10 worst during most of Manning's career as well. Whoever got that roster to 11 wins is definitely deserving of some kind of award, that's all I'm saying. I don't know what tangent you started going on or why you felt the need to put words in my mouth.

Ballspiker

Reaction score
Tical21":2k26lgxr said:
pinksheets":2k26lgxr said:
Tical21":2k26lgxr said:
The colts had an awful roster with manning. It is even far worse now. It shouldnt be held against luck that he had to throw more. The dude put his entire team on his back. Russell didn't. So Russ should have and did have more efficient results.

To me, the best way to determine the winner is to try to picture what the players seasons would have played out like if their roles were reversed. Wilson certainly had the far easier task, i don't think that is debatable. Can somebody answer this question...how many games would the colts have won if wilson was their qb?
Luck shouldn't get extra points because the Colts tanked their season by starting Painter either.

If you want to give a guy ROY who had a worse season but had excuses for having it, go ahead, just doesn't seem right to me. "Sure, Luck was worse than the other two, but.....". Don't get that, personally.

When did I ever mention anything about the Colts record last year? Player for player, the Colts have one of the 5 worst rosters in the NFL. They had one of the 7-10 worst during most of Manning's career as well. Whoever got that roster to 11 wins is definitely deserving of some kind of award, that's all I'm saying. I don't know what tangent you started going on or why you felt the need to put words in my mouth.

Player for player, the Colts have one of the 5 worst rosters in the NFL? Says who? You? Why? Reggie Wayne is a HOFer. Does RW have one of those to throw to? Luck has a couple of young and extremely talented WR's that complement Wayne. They have one of the best-regarded young offensive lines in the league. Articles like this one detail how their offensive line is better at every position between 2011 and 2012 with their roster overhaul. Every position! How many teams can say that in 2012? Obviously, RW has the advantage of a stronger RB complement. No argument there. The quality of their defense is irrelevant to this conversation for the purposes of determining how good Luck is vs his OROTY competition. A weaker defense accounted for his higher number of attempts and created, frankly, those opportunities for game-winning drives that the other guys had a few less of. Other than that, going position-by-position on the defensive side of the ball to try and prove that Luck is more deserving than RW (or RG) is a total red herring.

I think one factor that you're overlooking here is that Luck had the luxury of much better protection in the pocket this year. Colts QBs (Luck) were only sacked 6.13% of the time this year. Luck's a solid runner and pretty intuitive about the pass rush, but he was getting good protection this year overall. If anything, that should obviously help Luck's numbers - diminish his interceptions and improve his completion percentages. Seattle QB's (Wilson)? Sacked 7.53% of the time. That's WITH Wilson escaping innumerable additional sacks. Wilson was arguably at his best in these situations when the play broke down and it was up to him to make the plays. He kept his interception rate low and his completion percentage high in spite of inferior pass protection. Not to mention the quality of Seattle's receivers is pretty average. Rice is talented but inconsistent. Always has been. Tate? Even more inconsistent. Baldwin (injuries)? Edwards (done)? Who else was there to throw to, really? Miller? A decent complement. Bottom line, I'd bet most objective organizations would rather have the HOFer in Wayne and the young talent in Indy over Seattle's average lot of receivers.

All of this, imo, would make RW's accomplishments this season more impressive than Luck's EVEN IF their numbers were essentially equal. The fact that Wilson has gotten better and better throughout the season and put up significantly better numbers than Luck? I just don't see an argument for Luck other than the immeasurable and thus pointless "he had less talent around him" argument.

Oh yeah, and your question about, "how many games would the colts have won if wilson was their qb?" As if anyone can answer this. I will say the following, though. I think Luck would've been sacked 50+ times as a Seahawk this year (RW was sacked 33 times) given the same number of pass plays behind our OL. So much of RW's value comes from avoiding negative plays that most QB's wouldn't be able to. That just adds to RW's merits for the award.

Just two cents from a guy who watches a lot of NFL games every week.

BamKam

Reaction score
Not going to bash on Luck because he has had a great season but to think he is in the ball park of RG3 and RW is for ROY is ridiculous. I hate the "but his team was the worst in football last year!" argument. It is just an excuse for ESPN and other media outlets to push their agenda because they practically named him rookie of the year the minute he was drafted.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1iu35mkh said:
seahawks875":1iu35mkh said:
Luck has carried his team all year, if u ever watch him play and not just look at his stats, he is the real deal, Wilson is one of the top qbs in the league in my opinion and a lot better than rg3 but luck deserves ROY

how? by throwing interceptions?

Don't forget his 10 fumbles also, agains the easiest schedule in the NFL.

seahawks875

Reaction score
U guys are all saying Luck has crappy stats, so he shouldn't get ROY, and he is not is good as RG3 or Wilson. Here are Andrew Luck stats compared to Peyton Mannings rookie stats,
GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
16 339 627 54.1 4,374 6.98 23 70 18 9 65.0 76.5
16 326 575 56.7 3,739 6.50 26 78 28 3 -- 71.2
Above is Luck, below is Manning. Luck is the best QB in this class and deserves ROY.
My top 10 QB's
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Ryan
5. Drew Brees
6. Andrew Luck
7. Russell Wilson
8. Ben Roethlisberger
9. Eli Manning
10. Tony Romo

pinksheets

Reaction score
Uh what? Manning's numbers aren't relevant, and I'd say he wouldn't deserve it if he were up against Wilson and Griffin in his year either.

ROY isn't about projecting which player is going to be the best, it's about recognizing the rookie that did play the best in their rookie year. Luck's numbers do kinda suck, as did Manning's, at least when compared to Griffin and Wilson regardless of how you rate them as players in the long-term.

HawkWow

Reaction score
seahawks875":kafdtle2 said:
U guys are all saying Luck has crappy stats, so he shouldn't get ROY, and he is not is good as RG3 or Wilson. Here are Andrew Luck stats compared to Peyton Mannings rookie stats,
16 339 627 54.1 4,374 6.98 23 70 18 9 65.0 76.5
16 326 575 56.7 3,739 6.50 26 78 28 3 -- 71.2
Above is Luck, below is Manning. Luck is the best QB in this class and deserves ROY.
My top 10 QB's
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Ryan
5. Drew Brees
6. Andrew Luck
7. Russell Wilson
8. Ben Roethlisberger
9. Eli Manning
10. Tony Romo

You and I agree on this topic 99%. I too think Luck is the best QB of this class, but I think RW should get ROTY.