Christain Michael

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ev940xv said:
As of today, he's a top pick not seeing playing time. Hard to be a fan of that.

This is actually common for a championship team. Once a team becomes a perennial contender, they often go into "maintenance mode" with their high picks and ease them in while the current stars wear down. They were selected with a specific role in mind, but there's no hurry to rush them into that role as there would be with a bad team. They have more wiggle room for "luxury picks".

As for Seattle - well, we could debate over whether they went into maintenance mode prematurely, but they did almost make the NFCCG last year. And RB's wear down fast. I never really raised an eyebrow at the Michael pick.

HawkWow

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bdb6fzh said:
HawkWow":3bdb6fzh said:
As of today, he's a top pick not seeing playing time. Hard to be a fan of that.

This is actually common for a championship team. Once a team becomes a perennial contender, they often go into "maintenance mode" with their high picks and ease them in while the current stars wear down. They were selected with a specific role in mind, but there's no hurry to rush them into that role as there would be with a bad team. They have more wiggle room for "luxury picks".

As for Seattle - well, we could debate over whether they went into maintenance mode prematurely, but they did almost make the NFCCG last year. And RB's wear down fast. I never really raised an eyebrow at the Michael pick.

I am probably a bit more perturbed with the situation than I would typically be. I didn't like the hits ML was taking at the line last year to get his 1600. So naturally I was hoping for OL, with WR no longer a concern due to the Harvin signing. Now....with our 2nd rounder on the bench and our line in even worse shape, I am irritable. ; )

Hopefully Pete and co are merely waiting for the return of Okung for better protection and / or the powder keg Harvin to distract defenses before unleashing CM onto the free world. In all actuality, we are fine without CM, I just need to know he's the real deal, then I'll be fine with everything. But yes, I am a bit concerned whether or not that is the case.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would love to see production from our 2nd rd pick this year, but right now we have not necessarily needed him yet, plus they probably still want him to improve on certain aspects of his game such as pass pro.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Blitzer88":27yulnxr said:
I would love to see production from our 2nd rd pick this year, but right now we have not necessarily needed him yet, plus they probably still want him to improve on certain aspects of his game such as pass pro.

Your last sentence is the one that causes me the most discomfort, Blitzer. In college, CM played at a major program where the passing game was prominent. He should have been fairly well dialed in on protection from his time there, alone.

Since that time, he's had the luxury of some of the worlds best coaches working with him while being surrounded by some of the best players in the league. We know that he is a very talented athlete, so with all that coaching and all that talent, how is it that he can't get on a football field? For me, it's troubling.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkWow":27aum62x said:
Blitzer88":27aum62x said:

Your last sentence is the one that causes me the most discomfort, Blitzer. In college, CM played at a major program where the passing game was prominent. He should have been fairly well dialed in on protection from his time there, alone.

Since that time, he's had the luxury of some of the worlds best coaches working with him while being surrounded by some of the best players in the league. We know that he is a very talented athlete, so with all that coaching and all that talent, how is it that he can't get on a football field? For me, it's troubling.

See Montana's post

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":2uf8ex8q said:
Shaun Alexander had a few splinters in his butt that first year also. We can start a new tradition though, the Wheres Micheal weekly Thread, I think we see one every week sionce he looked so dynamic in pre season.

We can add that to the "holy crap someone sneezed in China and Turbin fell down" thread we see every week.

Meanwhile, Turbin ran over 5 guys in the Arizona game on his way to a 3-4 yard run and looked like Lynch doing it. But no one will mention it when anything good happens since he seems to be a pariah on this board now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":1w0219zg said:
chris98251":1w0219zg said:
Shaun Alexander had a few splinters in his butt that first year also. We can start a new tradition though, the Wheres Micheal weekly Thread, I think we see one every week sionce he looked so dynamic in pre season.

We can add that to the "holy crap someone sneezed in China and Turbin fell down" thread we see every week.

Meanwhile, Turbin ran over 5 guys in the Arizona game on his way to a 3-4 yard run and looked like Lynch doing it. But no one will mention it when anything good happens since he seems to be a pariah on this board now.
Not with me, he isn't. Yeah, I would like to see Turbo run with more balance, but I love his pass catching. Now, that run in Arizona where he ran for 30 yards to gain 2 was dumb, and got Carpenter hurt, but overall I liked his game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Is Turbin loathed on this board? I can't imagine why that would be. Perhaps people don't always consider what a rhythmic position RB is. Asking for more than we are getting from Turbin, is asking a lot of a guy that sees the ball so infrequently. He runs with authority, catches well and holds onto the ball. LOVE the guy. Oh yeah, and he's cheap!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I have called out Turbin to loathe him after the Texans game.

I think he's an ace 3rd down back for sure but I feel his pass protection is vastly overrated by some, he's good but he's not one of the best at his position or anything, and I feel he's still an average rusher overall who needs to rely on O-Line play for production. Also, I'm not sure if he's a special team standout.

My biggest thing about Turbin is he doesn't look his part, he's a tank but tries to run like Chris Johnson and flash to the outside. I'd rather have a more sucessful short yardage bruiser than well rounded change of pace guy. I feel like Turbin is getting better, he's starting to figure out what he can and can't do as a rusher. And he's slowly changing his style and adjusting to the O-Line.

I like Turbin, he was my favorite RB in the 2012 draft after Chris Polk but after seeing what Michael can do with his athleticism purely as a rusher. You just don't forget that and it should burn your patience up a little bit... with so much explosive play-making ability just wasting away.

Its cool though, the team is above Michael, we are 6-1 with him seeing limited action, he'll continue to grow, he'll continue to watch Lynch and learn what it takes to be the most physically overwhelming RB in the NFL today. 4 -5 years down the road, when we would have all but have forgotten the legacy of Beast Mode, Michael will be the next best RB in the NFL and we will be comparing him as a hybrid of Lynch and Peterson. And we will be giving Michael nicknames like Seattle's Sweetness or Sonic Sweetness or Sonic Dynamite.

nsport

Reaction score
chris98251":1wruxh25 said:

Ricky "Running" Watters was the primary back near the end of his prime when Alexander was drafted. No doubt that Shaun and Ricky were aware of the impending change of the guard. It will happen, folks - Christine Michael will be your starting running back soon.

kearly

Reaction score
Turbin had a bad preseason, but is having a great regular season. Let's not paint with a broad brush. Maybe he got better, or maybe he wasn't in form yet back in August.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Could we do 10 seconds of research to get the spelling of names correct please?

HawkWow

Reaction score
nsport":25rzhzmw said:
chris98251":25rzhzmw said:

Ricky "Running" Watters was the primary back near the end of his prime when Alexander was drafted. No doubt that Shaun and Ricky were aware of the impending change of the guard. It will happen, folks - Christine Michael will be your starting running back soon.

Excellent reference. Our running game was an absolute work of art as the fiery Watters tried to stave off the silky smooth Alexander. That's the formula we need to get going with Lynch and Michael. I'm a Turbin fan, but from day 1, he has looked too comfortable in ML's shadow. As I mentioned previously, every back needs a multitude of touches to find his stride. Turbin's not really getting enough touches to make a real determination of his capability. But some of that is on him. He needs to pick his step up while running with anger on every single carry. Last year, he had some great runs, but there were also times he ran almost apologetically. I like Turbin a lot, but I believe Michael will make the most of his chances. Like SA vs. Watters, we need to pit Michael against Lynch, asap, IMO.

Latest posts