Christain Michael

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Because he doesn't deserve it. For whatever reason. This isn't Holmgren's Seahawks. Pete has shown a commitment to playing whoever can help this team win, when they deserve to play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":2fsjmx0g said:
it is frustrating that we lament the fact we need game breakers who threaten a D and desperately want to see harvin, have a guy on the bench who does just that.

1. When you have one of the best backs in the league like Lynch, it's hard to not give him touches for an unproven rookie.

2. Michael still has to learn pass protection. It's not as easy as just saying "He's exciting, let's get him in the game." He has a lot of responsibility other than just carrying the rock. Until he's got all that down, Pete isn't going to play him...........especially when he has two backs that know what they're doing ahead of him.

Michael is more than likely the back of the future, but that's not for another 2-3 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would like to see Michael given a chance on kickoff and maybe punt returns, it seems his speed and toughness would translate well to those roles. He's got the quickness of Leon, but he's bigger.

But maybe Pete doesn't trust him, who knows. But if he's going to see the field, it seems logical that it'd be in that role.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Smellyman":2jklg45x said:
it is frustrating that we lament the fact we need game breakers who threaten a D and desperately want to see harvin, have a guy on the bench who does just that.

A few packages and plays per game would be nice

don't be silly. Michael hasn't shown anything yet. People get way to carried away with preseason performance. The fact is he's had 9 carries against the worst team in the NFL and is average just 4.1 yards a carry.

The guy isn't some electric player, if he was he'd be playing more. They would find ways to get him the ball. The fact that they haven't is telling. He just isn't ready to be a major contributor yet.

jblaze

Reaction score
I just think he has to win playing time. Hard to get on the field with those two guys ahead of him.

Not to mention, I think he's the future after Lynch so they're probably bringing him along slowly and making sure he knows the mental side of his position before putting him out there to learn on the job.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I understand being intoxicated with what this kid can do, but at the risk of appealing to authority, I trust Pete to do right by Michael. Golden Tate was a talented dude too, but didn't get how to be a professional and how to run routes. It took him time, why should we assume CM won't take time? CM has documented issues with his college coaching staff, perhaps he is learning as much about life right now as he is about football. Or not learning, which could also be the explanation for his lack of time.

Brandon Browner got benched for not playing within the frame of the defense. The limited bit we have seen CM suggests he doesn't play well in the frame of the offense, ignoring the one cut to look for the bigger play.

What is so hard to understand about not trusting the rook?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Honestly I think the reason everybody expected to see more of him right out of the gate was simply due to what we did last year starting all the rookies. This year practically the only rookie starters are due to injuries.

I would still love to see Bevell throw a few plays together with Cmike and Percy Harvin in at the same time. No one would have film on them and it could be stunning. Imagine a wishbone with Lynch, Mrob and CMike and then Harvin and Tate as the wideouts! How the hell would you defend that?

Gotta be patient.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Who knows? When we're ahead 60 points Monday against the Lambs and need to drain the clock, maybe Beast and Turbo will get tired and Michael will get some carries!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2qsxl53c said:
I understand being intoxicated with what this kid can do, but at the risk of appealing to authority, I trust Pete to do right by Michael. Golden Tate was a talented dude too, but didn't get how to be a professional and how to run routes. It took him time, why should we assume CM won't take time? CM has documented issues with his college coaching staff, perhaps he is learning as much about life right now as he is about football. Or not learning, which could also be the explanation for his lack of time.

Brandon Browner got benched for not playing within the frame of the defense. The limited bit we have seen CM suggests he doesn't play well in the frame of the offense, ignoring the one cut to look for the bigger play.

What is so hard to understand about not trusting the rook?

Nailed it! Do we have an icon of a hammer and nail? Or a nail gun :?:

plyka

Reaction score
ivotuk":23mpazs1 said:
Why would anyone want ot start an inexperienced rookie behind this line? You think Marshawn is having fumble problems? Put Michael in there and see what you get, well besides him getting your franchise QB killed.

I never understand why people bemoan the fact that an untested rookie is not playing and seem to think he will be the next big thing. In reality, those kind of moves hurt a team, not help it. Relax, Lynch and Turbin are playing well and are one of the main reasons our QB can still walk.

Go back and watch some of the blocks Marshawn and Robert make, then imagine Christine attempting those blocks and what would happen to Russell Wilson. Remember Lynch spitting up blood?

I'm guessing here, but I believe they are making their decisions based on what they are seeing in practice.

I think we need to get our argument straight.

"Why would anyone want ot start an inexperienced rookie "
Um, where in god's green earth has anyone said that they want Michael to take the starting job away from BeastMode? This is called a STRAW MAN argument, where you argue against an argument you've created out of thin air.

Regarding fumbles, why would you assume Michael fumbles more than Lynch? Lynch and even more so Tate, have a real problem with securing the ball. There is very little correlation between experience and fumbling. Some players have major issues with fumbling, some have almost zero issues with fumbling. It has to do with how the player secures the ball. If you watch Tate run for instance, he holds the ball away from his body --almost any touch and the guy will fumble. Lynch doesn't have a problem nearly as bad, but it's obvious when he is struggling for more yards, the ball tends to move away from his body and he rarely has two hands securing the ball. This is a recipe for fumbling. Christine does not struggle for yardage like Beastmode. I haven't seen enough to say whether he is a fumbler or not, but to assume he is based on his experience is nonsense.

You have a lot of "imagine" or "guess" in your post. You may be right, or you may be wrong. But there is a difference between practice and real games, and coaches are susceptible to mistakes just like any human. YOu won't see his influence unless he gets a chance.

Sgt. Largent":23mpazs1 said:
Smellyman":23mpazs1 said:

1. When you have one of the best backs in the league like Lynch, it's hard to not give him touches for an unproven rookie.

2. Michael still has to learn pass protection. It's not as easy as just saying "He's exciting, let's get him in the game." He has a lot of responsibility other than just carrying the rock. Until he's got all that down, Pete isn't going to play him...........especially when he has two backs that know what they're doing ahead of him.

Michael is more than likely the back of the future, but that's not for another 2-3 years.

This is a reason to give Michael some running opportunities. You have Lynch who gives 100% on every run. Players are injury prone or not, and Lynch has shown in his time with us that he is NOT (in Buffalo it was another story), but you still do not want to get to the playoffs with a 75% Lynch. You want to give him as much rest as possible. Turbin is simply too much of a drop off in capability from Lynch. Michael is definitely not. In my mind, in order to have a 100% Lynch, you want to run him as little as possible while not affecting the outcome of the game. In this scenario, I would give Michael some time.

The only argument which can be made not to give him time is that they are not comfortable with his understanding and or blocking. Which makes perfect sense. Russell is the #1 guy on this team, superbowl hopes would go up in flames if he got hurt, so if Michael increases that chance, then you don't give him time. But this is the only argument against Michael. And you can better judge once he is in their for a few snaps in the game.

Cartire

Reaction score
plyka":1izof0n1 said:
The only argument which can be made not to give him time is that they are not comfortable with his understanding and or blocking. Which makes perfect sense. Russell is the #1 guy on this team, superbowl hopes would go up in flames if he got hurt, so if Michael increases that chance, then you don't give him time. But this is the only argument against Michael. And you can better judge once he is in their for a few snaps in the game.

That's not the only argument. We don't run by committee. He is the third string back. Even Leon only got carries during blowouts. This is PC's philosophy.

On top of that, you have no idea how he performs in practice, when these guys actually compete for their spot. He obviously hasn't earned his place as the number two, so why are you questioning PC? Michael will get his supposed needed game time experience when PC feels he's ready and not before then. Just because he was our first pick (at the end of the second round btw) doesn't entitled him to anything his rookie season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Michael was drafted as insurance for the 2 guys ahead of him on the depth chart and as a plan for the future. He was never intended to be a feature of this year's offense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think we can go back and forth all day long about why Pete is holding CM out. In the end, only the team knows. The camp that wants to see CM now has every right to demand as much. It's just too easy to say "CM is a 3rd string back....has trouble blocking...troubles with special team play". There's no position easier to transition from college to pro, than RB. IF after almost 3 months CM is still not ready, he was drafted WAY too high.

When we used our 1st pick on a back, most of us asked WTH? But we grew comfortable with the pick because CM was damn "near Harvin-like" in terms of explosiveness. "Just wait til you see this guy". OK, we're waiting. IF CM was as deadly as promised, they would have found a place to work him in from time to time. It's not like we have been blowing teams out week after week and again, if the concern is "games have been tight, can't risk a turnover". if that's the case, again, he was drafted WAY too high.

"We're saving him for the future". Why? Did we fear the NCAA was getting ready to ban RBs? There's never a shortage of RBs, but in 2013, we did have a shortage of top draft picks.

The argument "there are many 3rd string backs with no more carries than CM" only holds water if those backs were 1st or 2nd rounders.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk79":q70gnulb said:
Don't know if this has been posted, but what is going on with Michael? Why are they not using him more? Kind of surprised.

BECAUSE NOT ONLY IS PETE CARROLL AN IDIOT, BUT HE DIDN'T LIKE CHRISTINE MICHAEL ANYWAY AND ONLY PICKED HIM BECAUSE SCHNEIDER REALLY WANTED HIM AND WHAT YOU'RE SEEING RIGHT NOW IS THE BEGINNING OF A RIFT BETWEEN CARROLL AND SCHNEIDER THAT WILL DERAIL OUR SUPER BOWL DREAMS. ALSO, CARROLL HAS IT OUT FOR MICHAEL AS AN INDIVIDUAL BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE HIS MOTHER.

Just kidding. Hawk79's question was totally innocent. But I do wonder sometimes what the Michael fans are looking for.

Dtowers

Reaction score
I like Michael but there is obviously some reason he hasn't seen the field yet. I liked the kid coming out of college and think that with the right motivation he could be a #1 RB easily. But that isn't going to happen overnight and likely without injury to Lynch or Turbin I don't see it happening this year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
HawkWow":1wczstwc said:
I think we can go back and forth all day long about why Pete is holding CM out. In the end, only the team knows. The camp that wants to see CM now has every right to demand as much. It's just too easy to say "CM is a 3rd string back....has trouble blocking...troubles with special team play". There's no position easier to transition from college to pro, than RB. IF after almost 3 months CM is still not ready, he was drafted WAY too high.

When we used our 1st pick on a back, most of us asked WTH? But we grew comfortable with the pick because CM was damn "near Harvin-like" in terms of explosiveness. "Just wait til you see this guy". OK, we're waiting. IF CM was as deadly as promised, they would have found a place to work him in from time to time. It's not like we have been blowing teams out week after week and again, if the concern is "games have been tight, can't risk a turnover". if that's the case, again, he was drafted WAY too high.

"We're saving him for the future". Why? Did we fear the NCAA was getting ready to ban RBs? There's never a shortage of RBs, but in 2013, we did have a shortage of top draft picks.

The argument "there are many 3rd string backs with no more carries than CM" only holds water if those backs were 1st or 2nd rounders.
Well said.

HawkWow

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2wk97jt0 said:
hawk79":2wk97jt0 said:
Don't know if this has been posted, but what is going on with Michael? Why are they not using him more? Kind of surprised.

BECAUSE NOT ONLY IS PETE CARROLL AN IDIOT, BUT HE DIDN'T LIKE CHRISTINE MICHAEL ANYWAY AND ONLY PICKED HIM BECAUSE SCHNEIDER REALLY WANTED HIM AND WHAT YOU'RE SEEING RIGHT NOW IS THE BEGINNING OF A RIFT BETWEEN CARROLL AND SCHNEIDER THAT WILL DERAIL OUR SUPER BOWL DREAMS. ALSO, CARROLL HAS IT OUT FOR MICHAEL AS AN INDIVIDUAL BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE HIS MOTHER.

Just kidding. Hawk79's question was totally innocent. But I do wonder sometimes what the Michael fans are looking for.

I think we'd all like to be Michael fans. As of today, he's a top pick not seeing playing time. Hard to be a fan of that. I figured we drafted Michael to replace ML as early as 2014 (based on salary). But I also thought he'd have this year to prep for that 1 spot. I hoped we'd figure out a way to keep Lynch and as of now, I see Lynch returning for 2014 and possibly beyond. So that's the bright spot in this for me.

Latest posts