Chris Carson doesn't need to play. Feed PENNY the rock!

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1tlgwx8f said:
Might not be a bad idea.
On the other hand, it could backfire.
Obviously we want our startes to get reps.
Now is the time to do that in preseason week 3.

Carson is obviously our best RB.
Reckon Penny is solidly #2.
Injury a concern maybe? I dunno.
Can't imagine it's good for Carson to get no preseason reps.
Keep him fresh and hungry when the season starts.
Even Marshawn was playing in preseason in his 3rd year, right?
Tough call, I guess.

Carson played great against Minnesota, and looked in sync with the line. He is ready. Reps in this game will not help him in anyway, the only thing that could happen is he could get dinged.

The benefits of resting him up for the regular season, far outweigh the near zero benefit of playing him in this game at this juncture.

xray

Reaction score
Carroll said that he wants to see everybody play that is able to play . Personally I don't want to see Wilson---Wagner---Lockett---Brown---and especially Carson play tonight . Carroll needs to play it safe with all the dings they already have .IMO

xray

Reaction score
xray":2segfo94 said:
Carroll said that he wants to see everybody play that is able to play . Personally I don't want to see Wilson---Wagner---Lockett---Brown---and especially Carson play tonight . Carroll needs to play it safe with all the dings they already have .IMO
Feel free to add to this list . :0190l:

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Everybody bagging on Penny. You have to give him space. He is not a bell cow RB. Think pitches, options and swing passes. He will excel in that role.

quadsas

Reaction score
I don't want to wait 2 weeks to watch Carson play. A freak injury can happen to anyone on the first play of the game. Does that mean Carson shouldn't get a few snaps? And if Penny is 'so good' then losing Carson wouldn't be a massive loss wouldn't it?

xray

Reaction score
quadsas":3rmwnquw said:
I don't want to wait 2 weeks to watch Carson play. A freak injury can happen to anyone on the first play of the game. Does that mean Carson shouldn't get a few snaps? And if Penny is 'so good' then losing Carson wouldn't be a massive loss wouldn't it?

Carson might get a few downs tonight but hopefully not many . Penny hasn't shown yet that he could take on Carson's workload . He is not the grinder that the offense needs to succeed . IMO if Carson goes down for an extended period ; the Hawks can forget any chance of winning the division .

xray

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":12l3jbge said:
Everybody bagging on Penny. You have to give him space. He is not a bell cow RB. Think pitches, options and swing passes. He will excel in that role.

They drafted him to be a starter if necessary . To come in and play RB without losing production . If they used him as you described ; defenses would figure that out in very short order and track him down every time he was on the field .IMO

D

DomeHawk

CC is pretty established by now, we know what we are going to get from him. The fact that we concentrate on running AND we only have one reliable running back makes Carson particularly vulnerable.

quadsas

Reaction score
xray":2vg4x22i said:
quadsas":2vg4x22i said:

Carson might get a few downs tonight but hopefully not many . Penny hasn't shown yet that he could take on Carson's workload . He is not the grinder that the offense needs to succeed . IMO if Carson goes down for an extended period ; the Hawks can forget any chance of winning the division .

Penny was great I was told though

mrblitz

Reaction score
Is Scarborough still around? Could be a dark horse RB.

hawk45

Reaction score
Since Carson is the engine that makes this offense go, I agree with OP, rest him up. The guy doesn't know how to save his body (a point in his favor IMO) and we know what we have with him.

I think Penny has talent I just hate the fit with this team. Pete's offense runs the ball a lot, and the Carson types who get positive yardage every play, like Marshawn, keep things on schedule even when blocking breaks down. Penny is a boom/bust guy so far, love what he can do with a crease, but I just don't see how that fits the offense. Even on third down last year I preferred Davis who could drag a defender or truck if need be and catch the ball displaying enough nifty moves.

Penny is a guy who can feast when the D doesn't see it coming, but that smells like gimmick to me and our O doesn't do gimmicks. Harvin and Jimmy should have been enough evidence on that score.

That said, I want to feed Penny a ton this preseason and see what we have there. He's the back with the most to prove IMO. Is he a solid backup? Or just a gimmick change of pace. Let's find out.