Charles Cross of Miss state picked 9 at lt

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
JJ obviously wasn’t BPA on the boards that mattered. I like him and think the Jets had a fabulous day…..props to Selah. Cross is a great fit and value for the Hawks. Good thing this draft is deeeeeeeeeep in pash rushers. 🍻🍻🍻

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
JJ obviously wasn’t BPA on the boards that mattered. I like him and think the Jets had a fabulous day…..props to Selah. Cross is a great fit and value for the Hawks. Good thing this draft is deeeeeeeeeep in pash rushers. 🍻🍻🍻
Winning the draft doesn’t always translate to wins, but looks like an A+ for the Jets with potential blue chip CB, WR, & Edge.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I also think the Jets killed it. That's a lot of talent added. Course Sauce was my fav player in the entire draft.

Reactions: PNW

Rainger

Reaction score
I didn‘t walk back anything.

My take is what I expressed days ago: picking for need / holes over BPA would indicate Pete‘s hubris is alive and well and he believes this roster isn’t in rebuild mold.

Given the information we had at the time JJ was the BPA / value available. Clearly there‘s something we didn’t know.
Right which means JJ was NOT the BPA at 9. Not drafted until 26 that says either alot of teams don't know anything or your assessment was wrong. Just saying.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

My take is what I expressed days ago: picking for need / holes over BPA would indicate Pete‘s hubris is alive and well and he believes this roster isn’t in rebuild mold.

Given the information we had at the time JJ was the BPA / value available. Clearly there‘s something we didn’t know.
Seattle picked well. You were wrong.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score

Pretty much every team drafts for need.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick. They definitely went with need over BPA.

Cross may be an experienced LT, but he‘s not particularly explosive, lengthy, or dominant.

JJ was sitting right there and they whiffed.
Charles was easily the BPA on the line at that point. Jermaine wouldn't have been a particularly good pick - he fell because he simply doesn't get pressure prior to 3 seconds. He's an endurance hunter with a high motor - those aren't high first round guys. His sacks were on majority clean-up duty. You watch him, then go watch a guy like Ojabo and Ebiketie, and the difference in how quickly and decisively they win compared to Jermaine is just a night and day difference.

Watching Jermaine is like taking practice swings with a weighted bat. Watching the other edges, the game speed is just at another level.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Cross is widely thought to be the best pass protecting OT in this draft, but PC says he wants to run the ball.

Sure hope he can runblock b/c that is what PC wants to do. At 310 he needs to start lifting to gain bulk b/c he will face a few nasty pass rushers in the NFC-W. Besides the team will want to run left as well as right if they can find a RT. EDIT: Cross says: he's now 315

Seems clear he likely was BAP and the team had no trade partners to move down.

Not unhappy with the pick but they do truly need to find some edge rushers and to improve the D at CB, & DT.

Sure hope they don’t waste a pick early at QB.

Last edited:

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick. They definitely went with need over BPA.

Cross may be an experienced LT, but he‘s not particularly explosive, lengthy, or dominant.

JJ was sitting right there and they whiffed.

Except he's Explosive, Lengthy and Dominant. Literally the only knock on him was his lack of Run Blocking grade which isn't a huge thing he did at Mississippi State but that doesn't mean he can't do it, he's athletic and strong enough to adjust to being that guy.

You're really not good at this.

Boohman14

Reaction score
They experts were saying that Cross excels at pass protection but need work at run blocking. He can also play left or right tackle without loosing a step. Great footwork and balance. I like the pick although I was wondering if we'd go after a Center.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Except he's Explosive, Lengthy and Dominant. Literally the only knock on him was his lack of Run Blocking grade which isn't a huge thing he did at Mississippi State but that doesn't mean he can't do it, he's athletic and strong enough to adjust to being that guy.

You're really not good at this.
I actually agree with Elvis here regarding his athleticism. Cross is a middling athlete with middling length. It limits his potential, but not as much as it does with some other players - usually the concern with lack of length and explosion is handling speed rushes and anchoring. Cross does both well. His recovery and mirroring are incredible. This eliminates most of my concern about his profile.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
They experts were saying that Cross excels at pass protection but need work at run blocking. He can also play left or right tackle without loosing a step. Great footwork and balance. I like the pick although I was wondering if we'd go after a Center.
Center at pick 9?? holy what?

Chuckwow

Reaction score
It’s got to be something off field given his production & testing.

Even if JJ is legitimately falling, Cross is still not a value pick. Look at all the trades just below the Hawk’s pick and measure that against Cross. He was the last legit LT so they jumped on it due to a filling holes mentality.
I like Cross and I was happy we grabbed him, but I was thinking we were going back to ground Chuck. Cross is a quick study and a supreme athlete, so I guess he will learn to run block but when Neal was still there at 7, i kinda hoped we'd bust a move on him.

Part of me is saying: We don't even have a QB but we're going with an LT that is not known for his run blocking? Then another part of me is saying : That's exactly why we need a pass pro LT. Anything that makes our QB more comfortable is probably a good investment.

Cross is going to play a long time in this league and has many, many more positives than he has negatives. I'll sleep well enough tonight.

And I'll be dreaming of Breece Hall.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I feel like, and this might be factually wrong but it's just my opinion, it'll be easier to get a crash course in NFL run-blocking than it would be in NFL pass-blocking. I've heard from a lot of different sources that he's refined in pass-blocking because he was asked to do it so much.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
I actually agree with Elvis here regarding his athleticism. Cross is a middling athlete with middling length. It limits his potential, but not as much as it does with some other players - usually the concern with lack of length and explosion is handling speed rushes and anchoring. Cross does both well. His recovery and mirroring are incredible. This eliminates most of my concern about his profile.

Except he's one of the best athletes at the position, bro what are you talking about? He's got length and athleticism for days

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Except he's one of the best athletes at the position, bro what are you talking about? He's got length and athleticism for days
No, not really:

His outstanding quality is pass blocking because he played for Leach and that’s the ask for the offense. Hopefully he learns the run blocking, but frankly his physique looks soft and that doesn’t usually translate well.

The risk is you spent the 9th pick on a LT that needs to learn half the game and transform his body. Good thing is that next year is likely a throw away, so you‘ve got plenty of OTJ training opportunity.

toffee

Reaction score
So many unhappy 12s here, right after we picked a 21 years old, PFF top grade LT. We don't know if he will be a future AllPro, but this young man is already good. I am happy to welcome Cross!

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Charles was easily the BPA on the line at that point. Jermaine wouldn't have been a particularly good pick - he fell because he simply doesn't get pressure prior to 3 seconds. He's an endurance hunter with a high motor - those aren't high first round guys. His sacks were on majority clean-up duty. You watch him, then go watch a guy like Ojabo and Ebiketie, and the difference in how quickly and decisively they win compared to Jermaine is just a night and day difference.

Watching Jermaine is like taking practice swings with a weighted bat. Watching the other edges, the game speed is just at another level.

That‘s good analysis on JJ, it’s entirely possible I’ve bought into the hype. Still curious if something off field was at play.

In regards to Cross, you’re supporting my argument a bit…Cross was the best renaming OT, ie they were picking the position, not the player. Hyperbole driven by PTSD, but shades of Collier there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Being a great pass blocker means good feet, good hands, good balance, strong set and anchor etc (against the SEC no less). We have seen how good road graders work out in pass pro. Much easier for a good pass blocker to become good run blocker than vice versa. And he might already be a good run blocker and he just never did it.