Charles Cross of Miss state picked 9 at lt

James in PA

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with this pick. He was on my short list of players that the Hawks needed to come away with, with their first overall pick. Trading down would have been too risky, because most of those players were gone by that point. You start getting into a different tier of player if you get too cute. Quality over quantity. Cross was a great pick.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Except he's one of the best athletes at the position, bro what are you talking about? He's got length and athleticism for days
I agree that he's one of the best players, but his wingspan is 57th percentile, his vertical 28th percentile, and his 3 cone 40th percentile. He's also somewhat short at under 6'5".

For a top 10 offensive tackle, he is *factually* a middling athlete. That's what I'm talking about.

He's still a very good selection, and I don't think that the subpar results he posted in those metrics really matter all that much. But it's literally how it is.

Jville

Reaction score
This is a follow on to the selection of the athletic Stone Forsythe selection of a year ago. Exceptional feet and balance along with hand quickness are at the top of Andy Dickerson's priority of attributes. Attributes that were added earlier during free agency at center. This offensive line will transition for 2022.

I like the back ground of Charles Cross. He is a country kid raised in a solid two parent house hold. I look forward to him being a focused, consistent and reliable member of the Seahawks family.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Apologies if this was posted already. Check out the description of Cross in the article. The 2 things that caught my attention where that the writer says he's not a product of the air raid system and he was not originally recruited for that system, re the questions about his run blocking

Edid: Ok I am doing something wrong. I can't post the link. It's the draft grades from Bleacher Report

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
Watching his highlights, I am very impressed with his recognition and handling of stunts. His foot work is top level. Watching a lot of the pre-draft videos regarding OT, he was easily in the conversation of being the top rated tackle. The few plays I saw on run blocking, he was quick to the second level and I only saw him beat once (RB cut it back behind him for good run). A great pick that easily passes the eye test.

AgentDib

Reaction score
For anybody who wants to watch some film today and form your own opinions, Cross is #67.

Film of Miss St OL vs. Alabama 2021

Film of Miss St OL vs. Texas A&M 2021

Film of Miss St OL vs. NC State 2021

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John pretty much admitted that they're first choice was to try to trade up to grab Ekwonu, who IMO is a much better fit than Cross for what Pete and John are trying to do with the rebuild.

Doesn't mean Cross is a bad pick. He just might take some more time to bulk up and become proficient in the run blocking schemes.

But he has all the measurables, athleticism and intelligence to be a VERY good tackle. Just might take a year or two, instead of someone like Ekwonu or even Neal who are more size ready to step right in and be road graters.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
For anybody who wants to watch some film today and form your own opinions, Cross is #67.

Film of Miss St OL vs. Alabama 2021

Film of Miss St OL vs. Texas A&M 2021

Film of Miss St OL vs. NC State 2021

Saw him whiff on some blocks and continue to diagnose plays while engaged and move to another block when necessary. My biggest concern from watching these videos is he grabs and lifts shoulder pads on almost every block. That wouldn't have mattered if he got drafted by the packers, but here he is going to have to correct it fast.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a reasonable safe pick in an area of need.

It doesn't help us much this year, but at least the cupboard starts getting refilled.

Doing my best to try to put my pessimism about our success in both the 1st and in the OL picks - in the reviewview mirror because with any other team making this pick it looks like a good pick. So have to give the Seahawks the same courtesy.

The whispers they wanted Ekwonu make sense. Who WOULDN'T want him? But there was no way he was lasting until #9 and if they thought that they were crazy.

It think the last draft where they missed out on clear consensus 'best' OL prospect was missing on Orlando Pace. Didn't they have to 'settle' for Walter Jones? or am I misremembering?

So let's hope history repeats itself.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I notice this morning the graders gave Seattle's Cross selection an A+.

I think that BPA over need theory is BS. Makes me think of a guy driving through town admiring the store window reflection of those armoralled, white raised lettered, big new tires on the left side while the right side is supported by patched up donuts. "Oh yeah, we stylin' baby!" A roster of good players working together beats a few stars with a bunch of duds every time. That is a lesson we Seahawks should have learned by now. You can only pay so many stars. The big contracts recently awarded to wide receivers is a vivid example of why there is a run on WRs who will be playing on rookie salaries, and exactly why we were willing to move on from KJ, BWags, and Russ for a collection of draft pics. It takes a TEAM, not a few expensive shiny objects.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This guy is already an elite pass blocker as a Sophomore. Why because he has fantastic footwork.

With footwork like that he’ll be just fine in the run game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I didn‘t walk back anything.

My take is what I expressed days ago: picking for need / holes over BPA would indicate Pete‘s hubris is alive and well and he believes this roster isn’t in rebuild mold.

Given the information we had at the time JJ was the BPA / value available. Clearly there‘s something we didn’t know.
It hasn't become obvious to you by now that JJ was NOT the BPA / value available, and that Cross was?
Just because YOU had JJ rated higher, doesn't mean that the Scouts & GM's around the League did.
As it turns out, Cross was BOTH BPA & a player of NEED for the Seahawks, & what I'd call WIN-WIN.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I like Cross and I was happy we grabbed him, but I was thinking we were going back to ground Chuck. Cross is a quick study and a supreme athlete, so I guess he will learn to run block but when Neal was still there at 7, i kinda hoped we'd bust a move on him.

Part of me is saying: We don't even have a QB but we're going with an LT that is not known for his run blocking? Then another part of me is saying : That's exactly why we need a pass pro LT. Anything that makes our QB more comfortable is probably a good investment.

Cross is going to play a long time in this league and has many, many more positives than he has negatives. I'll sleep well enough tonight.

And I'll be dreaming of Breece Hall.
That‘s good analysis on JJ, it’s entirely possible I’ve bought into the hype. Still curious if something off field was at play.

In regards to Cross, you’re supporting my argument a bit…Cross was the best renaming OT, ie they were picking the position, not the player. Hyperbole driven by PTSD, but shades of Collier there.
CAREFUL NOW!! you are going to hurt yourself REACHING so hard.
USING THE "Collier" comparison????? Just admit it Elvis, that almost EVERYBODY else was RIGHT in their assessment of the Drafting of Charles Cross, and that you ARE WRONG.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Will our OL actually be better this year? Or will it just appear better because the QB doesn’t stand back there for 10 seconds trying to be the hero every play?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Will our OL actually be better this year? Or will it just appear better because the QB doesn’t stand back there for 10 seconds trying to be the hero every play?

Could be both... right?