Charles Cross of Miss state picked 9 at lt

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick. They definitely went with need over BPA.

Cross may be an experienced LT, but he‘s not particularly explosive, lengthy, or dominant.

JJ was sitting right there and they whiffed.

Why do you suppose he's falling so far, Elvis?

Chapow

Reaction score
Good pick. They probably could have traded down a couple of spots and still got him but nonetheless a good pick. For Jermaine Johnson, he's still available at the time of this post....there must be a reason teams are passing up on him.

I highly doubt Cross would have been available any later. It was pretty surprising he was still available at #9. He was almost universally projected to go in the top 10. If you don't take him at 9, you're almost certainly not going to get him.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Why do you suppose he's falling so far, Elvis?
It’s got to be something off field given his production & testing.

Even if JJ is legitimately falling, Cross is still not a value pick. Look at all the trades just below the Hawk’s pick and measure that against Cross. He was the last legit LT so they jumped on it due to a filling holes mentality.

Rainger

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick. They definitely went with need over BPA.

Cross may be an experienced LT, but he‘s not particularly explosive, lengthy, or dominant.

JJ was sitting right there and they whiffed.
Sorry think you got this backwards, Cross is the least experienced, played only 2 years, and he IS lengthy (longest arms of the tackles, and a dominant pass protector.

I think he will play RT for first year after bringing back Brown and he will get his experience and add weight for run blocking and will be our best LT for next 10 years since Walter starting next year. (with our new QB in next years draft)

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Hopefully he's a day 1 starter at LT considering being picked a #9. I don't have a problem with the pick just hope he's a good one. Outside of Jordan Davis all the guys we'd be doing backflips over we're taken.

sutz

Reaction score
Hopefully he's a day 1 starter at LT considering being picked a #9. I don't have a problem with the pick just hope he's a good one. Outside of Jordan Davis all the guys we'd be doing backflips over we're taken.
And arguably, we don't need that much help at DT. A later pick for depth would be fine IMO.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Sorry think you got this backwards, Cross is the least experienced, played only 2 years, and he IS lengthy (longest arms of the tackles, and a dominant pass protector.

I think he will play RT for first year after bringing back Brown and he will get his experience and add weight for run blocking and will be our best LT for next 10 years since Walter starting next year. (with our new QB in next years draft)
2yrs is experienced, I didn’t say the most experienced.

34.5 isn’t exceptional or even the longest in the class. Longer than Neal & Ekwonu, but those two are borderline guard bodies.

I’m not saying he’s a bad prospect, just not a great value at 9. IMHO JJ was BPA sans whatever unknown is causing the drop.

I hope Cross has a great career, but my gut tells me this is a ‘safe‘ pick that results in mediocre return. Top 10 you should get the wow factor or trade down for meat & potato picks later.

Rainger

Reaction score

34.5 isn’t exceptional or even the longest in the class. Longer than Neal & Ekwonu, but those two are borderline guard bodies.

I’m not saying he’s a bad prospect, just not a great value at 9. IMHO JJ was BPA sans whatever unknown is causing the drop.

I hope Cross has a great career, but my gut tells me this is a ‘safe‘ pick that results in mediocre return. Top 10 you should get the wow factor or trade down for meat & potato picks later.
Think you should read this link. Think PFF and a lot of people think he is better than your opinion. But I, like you hope he has a great career here.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

Way to walk it back. Your take isn't good at all and the draft already proved it. How about you just mea culpa and say Seattle picked very well, and you were wrong.

That's what I'm seeing here.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Quality pick as OL was not only the biggest weakness but there was huge depth issues at OT. Cross was only unappealing as a prospect only because his athletic testing didn’t jump off the page in a class that was quality in that aspect.

In a pure football sense, Seahawks got a really great player for their Oline that has the ability to be an elite pass-protector.

I’m not even questioning his run blocking, that is easily more coachable than pass-blocking especially when he fully grows into his body and maximizes his strength and conditioning at a Professional level.

Last edited:

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Quality pick as OL was not only the biggest weakness but there was huge depth issues at OT. Cross was only unappealing as a prospect only because his athletic testing didn’t jump off the page in a class that was quality in that aspect.

In a pure football sense, Seahawks got a really great player for their Oline that has the ability to be an elite pass-protector.

I’m not even questioning his run blocking, that is easily more coachable than pass-blocking especially when he fully grows into body and his strength and conditioning is maximized at Professional level.

This .....I love this pick.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Way to walk it back. Your take isn't good at all and the draft already proved it. How about you just mea culpa and say Seattle picked very well, and you were wrong.

That's what I'm seeing here.
I didn‘t walk back anything.

My take is what I expressed days ago: picking for need / holes over BPA would indicate Pete‘s hubris is alive and well and he believes this roster isn’t in rebuild mold.

Given the information we had at the time JJ was the BPA / value available. Clearly there‘s something we didn’t know.