Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

mikeak

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1q0nqkb7 said:
Stoned Cold":1q0nqkb7 said:
mikeak":1q0nqkb7 said:
2) Jets could have franchised Revis. You only sit out so much. Jets are getting slammed by many in the media for making a bad deal.... I think the trade was fair considering circumstances and will call it win-win

False. Revis had a provision that he couldn't be franchised.

So much false information on this thread and worry over nothing. Seriously, Sherman has no leverage for 3 more years. This topic is pointless.

2 years. His deal expires after the 2014 seas, so it's 2 years on the contract. Also, since it's 3 years until any contract negotiation can be discussed, Seattle can start the extension talks with Sherman next offseason.

As to Rock's original question, I think Schneider already has it covered in the Seattle long range financial plans. Revis was already getting paid the megabucks, so it's not like his new contract comes out of nowhere. So I'm not worried. A nice signing bonus will go a long way to smoothing over any issues.

After next year he can get the new deal so that is when sitting out if a new deal isn't in place becomes an option.

We have him locked down for up to 4 years at a realistic maximum. 2 years on the contract, Franchise first time and Franchise 2nd time (120%). Franchising a third time at 140% becomes cost prohibitive

I doubt he playes the last year of his deal without a new deal but knowing that the Seahawks could push this three more years out after next season is what gives the team leverage. Knowing that a happy player is better than a disgruntled one that sits out gives Sherman leverage

themunn

Reaction score
There's no way we franchise Sherman once let alone twice, players hate being franchised and prefer long term deals. There's a reason we haven't franchised a player since Schneider took over (with the exception of Mare in 2010, and franchising a kicker hardly counts).

Schneider likes his one year "prove it" deals for players who haven't yet proved it. You don't ask a player who has contributed for 4 years to "prove your worth", you know his worth already. Cornerback isn't a position known for players sustaining long-term injuries, but franchising doesn't "protect your future" as a player (as if earning 10m in one year isn't future-proofing you), bearing in mind the fact that franchising Sherman would mean paying him a rookie salary for year 4, the average of the top 5 for year 5 in the league and 120% for year 6. The franchise tag for cornerbacks was just under 11m this year, assuming Revis contract takes it up a bit say to 13m in 2 years time, that would have Sherman being paid 0.55m in 2014, 13m in 2015 and 15.6m in 2016, ie a little under 30 million over 3 years.

That still comes out as less than he should expect to get on the open market were he available at the end of this season. An intelligent player like Sherman will be aware of this, and when it comes to negotiation time will demand more for that "cheap" year. Considering our team is known to "look after our own", screwing him over for 3 years doesn't really work

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sherm is getting paid one way or another. Revis' deal is an anomaly and it will be hard for any agent to expect 16 mil/year AND guaranteed money. I seriously doubt the cap hit will approach that kind of money even though it might end up being a similar total. Sherm will be a guy who sets a new standard, no doubt, but I can't see this deal being used as a barometer since it's a special case.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":29k6hyrv said:
NinerLifer":29k6hyrv said:
Bakergirl":29k6hyrv said:
I think Sherman would stay. Where else does he get to be a part of history in the making. This team is on the road to at least one Super Bowl if not more. I think he is going to keep his wagon hitched to that rising star.

Sherman strikes me as the type that will follow the money. And if RW continues to improve until then, you guys face the real possibility of having to watch Sherman leave Seattle.

I'm sure everyone else outside Seattle sees him the same way you do. But since you probably don't watch or read his interviews that aren't controversial, you'll realize dude has a lot of pride playing with the LOB. He plays like he always has something to prove, like being more valuable than just a 5th round pick. He said playing for Seattle adds another chip on his shoulder because Seattle tends to be overlooked and labeled as "South Alaska." He wants to help make Seattle a respected football city.

You can't ruin something that doesn't exist. ;)

The guy obviously has a side of him that the media doesn't talk about because there is no story in it. And yes I have seen interviews of him that aren't controversial.

I have seen quite a few players who have pride for the team that they were currently playing for, just to leave that team when he was offered more when FA roles around, and then instantly be proud and thankful for the new opportunity they have been presented on their new team.

Since Sherman has publicly ranked himself as one of the best corners in the league (actually I believe he said he was the best) then he will expect to be paid as such when the time comes. Nothing wrong with wanting to be treated with the same amount of respect by your team that a player has shown the team himself through the years, when it's time to re-negotiate.

Football players know that every game could be their last and want to make as much money as possible while playing it.

And nobody does what Brady did unless they have already made a TON of money or have a sugar momma at home like he does.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer, what he actually said was he was the best this year. (When this year was happening, last year.) He knew Revis was out. He didn't say he was better than Revis. What he did do months later, is link his 2012 stats to Revis's best year's stats, though; and let people start arguing when they saw it.

I can't wait for the Bucs to come to Seattle in week 9. Sherman vs. Revis Twitter war should be epic.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Sherman want to be one of, if not the highest paid corner when the time comes. I also have no doubt the legion of boom will not remain intact over the next two or three years. It seem pretty unlikely anyway. I take comfort in knowing our coaches have models that surely acknowledge that, and they play a lot of press bail and press man, which is a bit easier to get personnel for, or was anyway until teams decided to copy our system like they are doing this year.

acbass

Reaction score
Sherman will be expensive when the time comes, but he should be. He's one of the best at his position. With the way the game is played now, you need someone to negate these massive WRs. I think Sherman knows what he has here. This is the team that believed in him and respected him enough to play him. That will go along way, I really believe that. I'm not saying we are going to get him cheap, but I think he will take a fair contract. I think we will be in position to offer him a fair a contract. Plus, where else could he go and have the security blanket that is Earl Thomas? Sherman isn't this "out for only me" person a lot of people assume. He knows this is a team, and he's proud to be a part of that. When the time comes we will give him his money. It may cost us a player somewhere else, but really, who is more replaceable? WR/TE or a complete shutdown CB?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll be very, very sad if Sherman walks. I won't blame him since I highly doubt we're going to pay any CB top money, that's just not Carroll's mantra, but...Man, I hope he stays.

A

Anonymous

Ask me again after this season is over.

Keep in mind, Revis went to another team, and that usually means a lot more "color change" money. Had he stayed with the Jets, an entirely different amount would have been paid. Now, I'm not up on all the details but I'm comfortable saying that.

I'd hate to see Sherman go, but in the end, I would have to agree with many others here and say that our FO isn't going to be bent over by any one player. They will do what's best for the team, and that's just fine by me.

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":33gp099p said:
There's no way we franchise Sherman once let alone twice, players hate being franchised and prefer long term deals.

Lets hypothetically say Sherman wants $16 million / year and we are not willing to pay more than $12.5million

Hypotetically say we are getting is a second round pick as he is on an expiring contract and nobody wants to pay that amount lets say Revis was a bust for a year. (we are probably getting a first rounder)

Do you really think we just let him go as a FA? We would without a doubt in my mind franchise him. Not sure why you are bringing up prove it deals - franchise a player has never been about proving anything. You franchise them because they have already shown you that they are one of the best at what they do but you can't agree to a deal.........

Atradees

Reaction score
Its a great move by the jets...reduce payroll and pick up a high first to go with #9.

If we should be so lucky. No NFL player is worth tons of jack.....except RW.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I see the deal as irrelevent to all but Sherm's agent. Nobody denies he's at least a top 3 cornerback, he's going to get paid what he's worth. Not really a selfish money grubbing move. Flacco's destruction of the Raven's roster as well a Aaron Rodgers whining that Romo makes more then he does are dirt bag moves then. He deserves to be paid as a top 5 corner, and the NFLPA will throw a hissy and not accept the contract if we don't offer within the top 5 CB bracket, at rock bottom.

I would be sad to see him go, but the other end is it depends on Schneider. Are we tired of his antics? Is Sherman really shutdown, or does Earl Thomas' range and ability in single high give Sherm and the rest of the D a huge padding?

Does Sherman want to go to the new Browns, Dolphins, Bucs, or Jags in 2 years? Whatever team penny pinches a massive cap surplus so hard just to overspend for paper saviors in free agency to build a contender just to find out the players treat it like Margeritaville? I don't think Sherman would enjoy being on a team that sucked, unless he already owned a Super Bowl ring.

edogg23

Reaction score
I fully expect the Seahawks to draft 1 or 2 more db this year in the draft. I hate to say it but enjoy Sherman while he is here, because I don't think that the front office is going to dedicate so much of the cap space to a position they have a great ability to find younger cheaper players for.

drdiags

Reaction score
With the expected signing of Kam Chancellor to a 5yr extension, once again my ability to be a credible voice of Seahawks player retention takes another hit. Always bet against what I predict.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There is a plan in place. Kam/ET/Sherm will be here longterm barring injury or significant drop in performance.

Trust.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it's likely Sherman will be asking for more money than he will be worth to this particular team. I think we will look to re-sign him at the avg of the top 5 CBs. He and his agent will refuse that offer, so he will get the F-tag, then ultimately move on.

A poster somewhere in this thread said "you cannot replace a Richard Sherman". A) that is incorrect. B) We don't have to have a superstar at every single position in the secondary. The way the FO is developing players (like Richard Sherman), I am certain we will find a suitable replacement if, and when, necessary.

There are teams that will look to build their secondary around Sherman and throw the bank at him. We don't have to do that....so won't, IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zgr0ipm said:
There is a plan in place. Kam/ET/Sherm will be here longterm barring injury or significant drop in performance.

Trust.
This. The FO does exactly as it says and this signing is just first step in the current 4 year plan that they have been upfront about. So no worries trust the FO it knows EXACTLY what it's doing.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Carmon1274":3r7cuhw9 said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

That is as about wrong as wrong can get. The read option is just a tool this offense uses. It takes advantage of RW mobility just as run and shoot would. It's a tool at his disposal. RW is a student of the game, a tactician as well as a hell of a passer. Your posts paints RW as a one dimensional QB that relies on his feet for his total game which is an extremely narrow view of his capabilities. He does not need to be out of the pocket to see and hit his receivers.

formido

Reaction score
Don't mistake Sherman's act with pure egocentrism. We've already seen players just this year, who didn't even come up on this team, take less money than they were worth. Sherman has a close relationship with the fellas. He's already said he doesn't need to have the biggest contract to be validated. Sherman is a smart guy. I'm pretty sure he knows that dollars don't prove you're the best, winning and stats do. Some fans might need to learn this, but Sherman knows it.

Would Pittsburgh/Polamalu have failed to agree? Would Chicago/Urlacher/Briggs have failed to agree? Would SF/Smith/Willis have failed to agree? Will Seattle/Thomas/Sherman fail to agree? Nope. Franchise players brought up on winning teams reach agreements with those teams.

To win in the current NFL, you have to have a handful of the best players in the NFL and spot fill the rest. Seattle has the handful and they're not just going to let them go because they have to pay them market value! Do you know how hard it is to obtain the best player in the NFL at a position? Not only that, but at a position that the coach has schemed up as an essential difference maker? To get him away from another team, it would require a bunch of high value picks PLUS market value. C.f. Percy Harvin.

Some of you are biting this Earl Thomas makes Sherman meme way too hard. Sherman was the only one who showed up to play the first half against Atlanta. Sherman is one of our Justin Smiths or Patrick Willises. He will get his contract, period.

edited by radish