Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1bvfu0er said:
Bakergirl":1bvfu0er said:
I think Sherman would stay. Where else does he get to be a part of history in the making. This team is on the road to at least one Super Bowl if not more. I think he is going to keep his wagon hitched to that rising star.

Sherman strikes me as the type that will follow the money. And if RW continues to improve until then, you guys face the real possibility of having to watch Sherman leave Seattle.

I'm sure everyone else outside Seattle sees him the same way you do. But since you probably don't watch or read his interviews that aren't controversial, you'll realize dude has a lot of pride playing with the LOB. He plays like he always has something to prove, like being more valuable than just a 5th round pick. He said playing for Seattle adds another chip on his shoulder because Seattle tends to be overlooked and labeled as "South Alaska." He wants to help make Seattle a respected football city.

edited by radish

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":4tqb0x9n said:
Revis' contract is not backloaded. And the Bucs had to pay a ton of draft capital to acquire him. Obviously, they wouldn't cut him or tempt losing him with a restructure maneuver for a few years because if they do, they end up paying a 1st + 3rd/4th for what would essentially be a one or two year rental. That makes no sense and would make the trade a total fiasco.

That was a terrible negotiation all around by Mark Dominik btw. He bid himself up with Idzik before bidding himself up with Revis. Had Idzik gotten a 2nd rounder for Revis I would have called it a win for the Jets at this point. Idzik was between a rock and a hard place and Dominik bailed him out in a huge way.

1) There is a business concept called sunk cost - look it up. If Revis is bad paying him $16 million makes it a worse deal. The trade is done and paid for. Look at Oakland and Carson Palmer - barely anything back but they had to clear up the cap. Bucs will cut Revis if it makes sense.

2) Jets could have franchised Revis. You only sit out so much. Jets are getting slammed by many in the media for making a bad deal.... I think the trade was fair considering circumstances and will call it win-win

I love how this is a HORRIBLE deal but Percy Harvin was such a great deal... Really - come on. Yes very different but with what is being paid one could say one deal is great the other is ok but not one is great and other is really bad...

pehawk":4tqb0x9n said:
HawkWow":4tqb0x9n said:
Important to note, TB, or any other team, will NOT be able to sit on their unspent cap anymore. A pile of unspent cash allowed TB to make this deal. The cap floor would've prevented this.

The NFLPA got took, again, with this CBA. This past offseason's only the beginning.

There is still an overall cap floor in place based on a few years combined. You can still roll over cap going forward.....

Seahawks can franchise Sherman. That is a huge deal. If he wants $15 million for 5 years and we offer $13 million for five years with say $45 million guaranteed he will be in a spot where he almost needs to take it. Franchise tag would be less per year AND he would have nothing guaranteed. Now he would need even more the year after to make up money lost etc

The game is different when you have the player on your team AND Sherman can't sit out for to long he doesn't have $50million in the bank.....

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Sherman is only going to get 1.2 million over the next 2 seasons. He could be franchised after that for at least one season at 10-11 million. Basically 3 years 12.4 million. He'll be 28 and we can worry about it then going into the 2016 season. And even after that we could franchise him again like the Raiders used to do with Nnamdi. Even at 2 years with the franchise tag, Sherman makes 120% more then his previous 10-11 million franchise tender, at worst its another 1 year deal at 13-14 million until 2017 when Shermans 29. And we all know how Schneider loves one year prove it deals.

This topic should be tabled for a couple years. Its not worth wasting your time discussing right now.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
mikeak":1pqh19tr said:
2) Jets could have franchised Revis. You only sit out so much. Jets are getting slammed by many in the media for making a bad deal.... I think the trade was fair considering circumstances and will call it win-win

False. Revis had a provision that he couldn't be franchised.

So much false information on this thread and worry over nothing. Seriously, Sherman has no leverage for 3 more years. This topic is pointless.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
What worst post ever?

Look at RW's first 4 games. Then look at when they used read option.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Carmon1274":1i7f8q93 said:
What worst post ever?

Look at when Bevell gave him empty backfield sets on 3rd and short and invited a wholesale blitz in the first 6 games. Then look at when Bevell grew a freakin brain and realized a rookie in 55% run geared offense with 3500 yards passing and a RB that can carry an 8 man box on his back could make use of play action.

Look at when Giacomini was a turnstile in pass pro and a penalty magnet to the point that Zach Miller had to hold his hand and help him block the first 6 games, and when Zach Miller could actually be a functional regular receiving option for the offense, and a boon to a rookie QB in dire need of reliable check downs. Hell Brady and Manning need a receiving TE to increase their efficiency, much less a rookie.

But keep up with that San Francisco analysis, by all means.

themunn

Reaction score
Carmon1274":3mpoh3mr said:
What worst post ever?

So what about those 8 games in the middle?
Read option was hardly part of our offense until we started blowing teams out, before then we used it at most 5 times a game.
Wilson came 1 short of tying the franchise record for consecutive completions set by a Hall of Fame QB (Warren Moon) in his rookie season.
Read option or not it takes a very good QB to even come close, and watch the highlights - there's AT most one read option play in there (at 1.00, pass to doug baldwin, but it looks like a standard play action pass to me)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Carmon1274":17wup3ic said:
What worst post ever?

Because I said keep this out of this topic, and in the RW QB debate topics. Please don't bring it up in here again, otherwise plan to be given an extended vacation.

mikeak

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":37muu5dd said:
mikeak":37muu5dd said:

So much false information on this thread and worry over nothing. Seriously, Sherman has no leverage for 3 more years. This topic is pointless.

Thanks for the correction was not aware. An error doesn't make the whole thread filled with false information. Opinions, facts and corrections are you know part of a forum...

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":3hapo2jq said:
1) There is a business concept called sunk cost - look it up. If Revis is bad paying him $16 million makes it a worse deal. The trade is done and paid for. Look at Oakland and Carson Palmer - barely anything back but they had to clear up the cap. Bucs will cut Revis if it makes sense.

I love how this is a HORRIBLE deal but Percy Harvin was such a great deal... Really - come on. Yes very different but with what is being paid one could say one deal is great the other is ok but not one is great and other is really bad...

1>ACtually, because there is no guaranteed money, Revis has to earn every game check. The second he is no longer viable, they cut him and lose nothing for it.

2>The Jets also swallowed up 12 million this year in the trade. The bucs are essentially getting him for peanuts in the first year. He could tear both knees at the end of the season, and it will be like the Bucs got to use a great CB for next to nothing for a whole year. All the Jets really got out of this was trading, arguable, the best corner in the league for the 13th overall pick. Which they might use on another CB who will never be as good as Revis. Win-Win? Hardly.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I can't imagine Sherman's agent being able to use this deal as a baseline, but lets not kid ourselves and think this affects us in any way except to make Sherman more expensive. There are still franchise tags and the discount a team can get for making a deal a year before a contract expires to consider.

All that aside, I trust the staff we have to find his replacement and trade him for good draft collateral if need be. I love Sherman as a player and I don't think he is easily replaced, but this team is going to be built around a QB, not a cornerback.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Day 2 of the draft can't get here fast enough.

When the time comes to make the hard decisions, I trust Pete and John.

They've done pretty good thus far.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Cartire":2m0zvwdb said:
mikeak":2m0zvwdb said:

1>ACtually, because there is no guaranteed money, Revis has to earn every game check. The second he is no longer viable, they cut him and lose nothing for it.

2>The Jets also swallowed up 12 million this year in the trade. The bucs are essentially getting him for peanuts in the first year. He could tear both knees at the end of the season, and it will be like the Bucs got to use a great CB for next to nothing for a whole year. All the Jets really got out of this was trading, arguable, the best corner in the league for the 13th overall pick. Which they might use on another CB who will never be as good as Revis. Win-Win? Hardly.

Bucs still have to pay him 16M this season to "tear up both knees" and they lost a 1st and 3rd next year (4th becomes a 3rd if he is on the roster this season according to reports)... that is far from Peanuts..

The money the Jets have to eat has nothing to do with 16M the Bucs have to pay him..

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":39lk786l said:
mikeak":39lk786l said:

2 years. His deal expires after the 2014 seas, so it's 2 years on the contract. Also, since it's 3 years until any contract negotiation can be discussed, Seattle can start the extension talks with Sherman next offseason.

As to Rock's original question, I think Schneider already has it covered in the Seattle long range financial plans. Revis was already getting paid the megabucks, so it's not like his new contract comes out of nowhere. So I'm not worried. A nice signing bonus will go a long way to smoothing over any issues.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lady Talon":296l54tb said:
Look at when Bevell gave him empty backfield sets on 3rd and short and invited a wholesale blitz in the first 6 games. Then look at when Bevell grew a freakin brain and realized a rookie in 55% run geared offense with 3500 yards passing and a RB that can carry an 8 man box on his back could make use of play action.

Preach it, brotha. (Or sista, as the case may be.) Darrell Bevell, more than any other single person on this team, (since we know mostly what we have in RW now) is going to determine how far we go. Bevell and Carroll threw Wilson under a bus for the first 6 or 7 games of the season. We'd have won the division and probably gone to the Super Bowl if they had just taken the training wheels off after the Patriots game. We'd have won @ S.F. most likely, and probably Detroit. More experienced by the time we go to Miami, that'd probably have been a win, too. Oh, what could have been...

Oh, well. I'm just ecstatic that we're stacked for the next 12 years at QB. :D

volsunghawk

Reaction score
This is why I support Sherman running his mouth as often and as much as possible. If Sherman's brashness and outspokenness makes just ONE team's GM take him off his list of FAs to go after in the future, all the better.

Note to Richard Sherman: If you could perhaps start a Twitter war with the entire northeastern part of the country, that would be great.

Largent80

Reaction score
If Revis makes 1 million per game, how much is that per play?

Figure what?...50 plays per game?.... X 16.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
If Sherman keeps playing the way he does (which is better than Revis IMO), then how can you argue he doesn't deserve at least the similar pay? Or there will be at least other teams who will be making those offers (given how badly they need better secondary play...Patriots come to mind).

That being said, I guess it all depends on factors right? how good/bad our other CBs play vs Sherman. What's his current market value from other teams? how much cap space we have left for people like Thomas, Wilson, and Wagner (assuming he continues his play). And of course depending on what we offer vs others, what's more important to Sherman the team or the $ (which I don't blame any athlete for taking the money especially when you're young and you never know when you career will end).

After all that, given the Revis deal, it makes our chances of retaining Sherman WORSE with the Revis deal. How could it not? The only way it would have helped us retain Sherman is if Revis got paid crap. What was the deal 98M over 6 years? avg 16 M a year? damn that's QB money too...they keep this up and pretty soon all the teams are going to look like the Vikings or Cardinals last year -_-.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1jjcdpxm said:
This is why I support Sherman running his mouth as often and as much as possible. If Sherman's brashness and outspokenness makes just ONE team's GM take him off his list of FAs to go after in the future, all the better.

Note to Richard Sherman: If you could perhaps start a Twitter war with the entire northeastern part of the country, that would be great.

Sherman just tweeted something about Charles Barkley being a fool. Actually it was "Charles Barkley is a fool lmao", waiting for him to get "misquoted" and continue to receive negative publicity. :roll:

mikeak

Reaction score
Cartire":e1c4tbo4 said:
mikeak":e1c4tbo4 said:

1) THAT WAS MY POINT as a reply to a statement saying they would keep him just because of the draft picks. The picks are sunk cost - future salary is real. You don't hold him just because you spent previously

2) Are you sure about the part about the Jets? I think this is signing bonus money etc and completely unrelated to what Bucs are paying him. From what I read they assume $1 million workout bonus and that is IT. They would pay $16 million this year regardless of what hits the Jets book. Please find something showing me I am wrong and I will happily admit to it :)

Jets got first round pick and 3rd rounder next year if Revis is on the Tampa roster. That is compared to a disgruntled employee that would have sat out a lot this year or pay him $15-$16 million this year which they said they would not do and probably couldn't have done under the cap. When your whole team sucks you can't have that much into one guy.....