Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

impacthawk

Reaction score
I Love Sherman. The whole Legion of Boom thing is amazing. That said, we are not going to ruin our entire financial structure for one player at the detriment of team competitiveness (Exception = RW). If we could get two first rounders, a third and a load of compensatory picks to keep the train rolling, then I would do that deal. I really do think that scenario is more likely today than keeping Sherman long term, IMHO.

mikeak

Reaction score
impacthawk":35j3dqev said:
I Love Sherman. The whole Legion of Boom thing is amazing. That said, we are not going to ruin our entire financial structure for one player at the detriment of team competitiveness (Exception = RW). If we could get two first rounders, a third and a load of compensatory picks to keep the train rolling, then I would do that deal. I really do think that scenario is more likely today than keeping Sherman long term, IMHO.

Cheap good players come through the draft now. You can't trade away two first rounders, a third etc and get a really expensive guy since now you lost two future stars from the draft that you would have had for cheap.

This is why TB with $23million plus under the cap prior to this season gave up one pick this year and one next year. You have to keep the draft capital to have huge stars on the team.

I don't think we trade him. If we do I expect just about what TB just paid for Revis as compensation

The Radish

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3mtmguwv said:
Carmon1274":3mtmguwv said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

That is as about wrong as wrong can get. The read option is just a tool this offense uses. It takes advantage of RW mobility just as run and shoot would. It's a tool at his disposal. RW is a student of the game, a tactician as well as a hell of a passer. Your posts paints RW as a one dimensional QB that relies on his feet for his total game which is an extremely narrow view of his capabilities. He does not need to be out of the pocket to see and hit his receivers.

Someone else seems to have missed the "this string is not about Wilson's abilitys but about Sherman's money" post from that guy ROCKHAWK!

Pay attention please.

:141847_bnono:

Carmon1274

Reaction score
The Radish":mww8clgr said:
v1rotv2":mww8clgr said:
Carmon1274":mww8clgr said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

That is as about wrong as wrong can get. The read option is just a tool this offense uses. It takes advantage of RW mobility just as run and shoot would. It's a tool at his disposal. RW is a student of the game, a tactician as well as a hell of a passer. Your posts paints RW as a one dimensional QB that relies on his feet for his total game which is an extremely narrow view of his capabilities. He does not need to be out of the pocket to see and hit his receivers.

Someone else seems to have missed the "this string is not about Wilson's abilitys but about Sherman's money" post from that guy ROCKHAWK!

Pay attention please.

:141847_bnono:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
mikeak":2ccaztop said:
themunn":2ccaztop said:
There's no way we franchise Sherman once let alone twice, players hate being franchised and prefer long term deals.

Lets hypothetically say Sherman wants $16 million / year and we are not willing to pay more than $12.5million

Hypotetically say we are getting is a second round pick as he is on an expiring contract and nobody wants to pay that amount lets say Revis was a bust for a year. (we are probably getting a first rounder)

Do you really think we just let him go as a FA? We would without a doubt in my mind franchise him. Not sure why you are bringing up prove it deals - franchise a player has never been about proving anything. You franchise them because they have already shown you that they are one of the best at what they do but you can't agree to a deal.........

Exactly franchise tags are all about leverage, they're not really about "proving your worth."