Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

Rat

Reaction score
Depends on how well we do drafting potential replacements for Sherman the next two years. Hard to imagine that a 31-year-old Brandon Browner will still be a high-caliber corner by then, and if he is, we couldn't depend on him for much longer. Maybe Thurmond will finally shake the injury bug by then (a prospect almost as laughable as saying that "Russell Wilson's contract won't be that much"), or Lane/Maxwell will show they can be starters. I'm sure other CBs will be brought in by this team in the next few years.

If we don't have other options, he'll command a lot. I don't see us getting a "discount". Dude has so outplayed his current 5th round rookie deal, that he'll deserve every penny he can get on his first big-time contract. He should try to get all he can.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kind of with Cartire here. It's a VERY odd deal.

But, this offseason has been chalk-full of odd deals as teams and players adjust to the new CBA. If anything, the lack of guaranteed money, and the trend of players finding little market or monies works in the Seahawks favor.

The way this CBA's playing itself out, so far, teams will have all the leverage and pretty much equal monies and guarentees. So, it boils down to "where does Sherm want to be?".

Having a player-friendly regime and good atmosphere in Seattle means SO much.

themunn

Reaction score
RockHawk":2cs86efm said:
Steve2222":2cs86efm said:
You guys do realize none of that money in Revis' contract is guaranteed right.

Yes, but there's 0 chance he's cut in the first 2 years, which is why I estimated the value at $32million the first 2 years.

Yeah, but we can pro-rate Sherman guaranteed salary over a 6 year period or you want.

Revis gets 32 million over 2 years and then maybe he gets another 16 million, or maybe he's asked to restructure with guaranteed salary but less overall salary because he's lost a step. Maybe he gets 60-70 million over the 6 year period.

We can offer Sherman 36 million guaranteed over 6 years, so 6 million a year cap hit right there, plus whatever we fancy paying him on top of that (72 million say? Then the cap hit works out at 12m a year, which is reasonable for the best corner in the league).
Sherman's a smart guy and 36 million dollars guaranteed is hardly something to sniff at

HawkWow

Reaction score
Since Sherman launched his the whole "I'm better than Revis" campaign, I've not wondered at all whether he will see a second contract with us. I am certain he won't. RS is a master of media manipulation and I believe his objective clear. He understands every time his name is mentioned along side Revis', his ultimate payday will be similar. I think he will take the highest offer (nothing wrong with that) and I don't think that offer will come from us. The good news is we are just a year away from the world seeing how over-paid Revis now is.
That won't help Sherman's cause.

I won't say probable, but I think it's likely we will have won a SB by the time his contract expires. I think that will play a role in the FO's decision making process and at the rate he's going, he may be on the FOs nerves by then, anyway.

I'm all about grabbing a DB in this draft that we can start grooming as his replacement. Safety net + leverage (and you can never have too many DBs).

Eamon696

Reaction score
Cartire":32l06pda said:
Eamon696":32l06pda said:
It's going to be a difficult few years ahead in regards to keeping our players. Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, and Russell Okung are all going to be wanting new contracts over the next 2-3 seasons and we can't keep them all.

My guess is that Russell Wilson and Okung, Earl Thomas, and Bobby Wagner all remain Seahawks. I would love to keep Sherman and Wright but it may not be financially possible.

Wagner and Wright wont have crazy contracts, and by the time Wagner is due, the cap should be a lot higher then it is now.

Okung and thomas already has a decent contract thanks to his deal being done prior new cba, so all though it will be bigger, it wont be such a massive difference then it is now.

Wilson and Sherman are the only ones who will require massive contracts which will be a huge change then their current ones. Like I said before, we drop miller and rice, and those contracts should be no problem.

Good points. Man I hope we can keep all these guys.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sherm already has a brewing rivalry with Revis and thinks he is the better player. He made that crystal clear this offseason. You're crazy if you think Sherm will take a penny less than what Revis just got. Especially after starring on a 5th rounder salary, the dude will be ready to get PAID. That negotiation is going to be ugly

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":18360xwr said:
Since Sherman launched his the whole "I'm better than Revis" campaign, I've not wondered at all whether he will see a second contract with us. I am certain he won't. RS is a master of media manipulation and I believe his objective clear. He understands every time his name is mentioned along side Revis', his ultimate payday will be similar. I think he will take the highest offer (nothing wrong with that) and I don't think that offer will come from us. The good news is we are just a year away from the world seeing how over-paid Revis now is.

I won't say probable, but I think it's likely we will have won a SB by the time his contract expires. I think that will play a role in the FO's decision making process and at the rate he's going, he may be on the FOs nerves by then, anyway.

I'm all about grabbing a DB in this draft that we can start grooming as his replacement. Safety net + leverage (and you can never have too many DBs).

Because free agents have been raking in cash of late?

Important to note, TB, or any other team, will NOT be able to sit on their unspent cap anymore. A pile of unspent cash allowed TB to make this deal. The cap floor would've prevented this.

The NFLPA got took, again, with this CBA. This past offseason's only the beginning.

Rat

Reaction score
Cartire":2jwbhyis said:
Okung and thomas already has a decent contract thanks to his deal being done prior new cba, so all though it will be bigger, it wont be such a massive difference then it is now.
Why are their current deals relevant to what their next one will be? Thomas is an elite player, while Okung is a very good player at a premium position. They're not going to take lesser deals just because the guys drafted in first round the past two years are making less than they did.

Zer0veritas

Reaction score
We also have to put in consideration how good are our guys in another defense? Playing alongside very good to elite players only make them look better then they would anywhere else.

drdiags

Reaction score
It makes it harder and the Seahawks might be able to keep from paying Sherman top dollar, since they will have to argue that Revis has done it over a longer period of time. Of course that is something Sherman and his folks will not take kindly to since Sherman is fighting that argument with fans and media to date.

The team has to pay him more than Harvin or at least the same, if they want their message of rewarding their own to ring true. So Sherman is going to make > 12M/yr and most likely <= 14M/yr. That whole 5th round thing impacts him in this matter. Same way I think Wilson is probably getting @16M-18M/yr when his time comes up. Thomas @9.5M-10M/yr and Okung 9M-11M/yr.

Rice and Miller will have to re-do their contracts next season or be cut. With the Salary cap not rising that much until the next TV contract, the FO will need to keep hitting in the draft. I doubt they let Sherman walk but FTing him will be just as costly as signing him long term. Next season and beyond is going to be interesting on which young players hit the door. The LOB may only last for this season. Browner or Chancellor, maybe both could hit the market when their contracts are up.

Cartire

Reaction score
Rat":27qigw11 said:
Cartire":27qigw11 said:
Why are their current deals relevant to what their next one will be? Thomas is an elite player, while Okung is a very good player at a premium position. They're not going to take lesser deals just because the guys drafted in first round the past two years are making less than they did.

because unlike other first year players, their contracts already take a decent bite out of our cap. Okung take 5.9 million and Thomas take 2.3 million. So when they get new contracts, the difference wont be as crazy as new rookies who barely take a million a year (if that).

Let me reitterate, im not saying they wont get paid well, what im saying, is it wont hurt us as much as you think cause were already paying these guys decent.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Carmon1274":3ome2hf0 said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

Seattle runs the read option 10% of snaps. Russell Wilson's stats are just as good or even better from the pocket as they are when they run read option plays. Saying RW will be just an average QB without the read option is something people say without doing any research on the Seahawks offense. Russell Wilson will be among the best QBs in the league in any system because he is that good.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
HawkWow":1exx9q7q said:

Oh jeez...

image.jpg

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I think Sherman would stay. Where else does he get to be a part of history in the making. This team is on the road to at least one Super Bowl if not more. I think he is going to keep his wagon hitched to that rising star.

kearly

Reaction score
Sherman would be very unlikely to get a deal like the one Revis got. Revis' agent is a genius, IMO. Normally a $16 million a year contract with nothing guaranteed would be a pretty lousy contract. BUT...

Revis' contract is not backloaded. And the Bucs had to pay a ton of draft capital to acquire him. Obviously, they wouldn't cut him or tempt losing him with a restructure maneuver for a few years because if they do, they end up paying a 1st + 3rd/4th for what would essentially be a one or two year rental. That makes no sense and would make the trade a total fiasco. Since Revis is very likely to last a few years before getting reworked or released, he'll see at least half that money, unless he's just awful and the Bucs go into damage control mode.

On the other hand, Seattle didn't just pay a 1st + 3rd for Sherman, and so there isn't that reinforcing factor that would prevent them from restructuring his deal. Therefore, Sherman would be very unlikely to take that approach. I think he'd be much more likely to sign a traditional contract with high guaranteed money and a lower base salary. They might go the "Nate Burleson" route and tack on some fake years at the end for appearances sake- like say a meaningless team option for $30 million at the end that would never be used- which would technically make Sherman's deal bigger than Revis'. You might see something like that, but I don't think Sherman will see a contract anything like what Revis got in terms of true average salary. Most likely.

That was a terrible negotiation all around by Mark Dominik btw. He bid himself up with Idzik before bidding himself up with Revis. Had Idzik gotten a 2nd rounder for Revis I would have called it a win for the Jets at this point. Idzik was between a rock and a hard place and Dominik bailed him out in a huge way.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I think Sherman will get a $100 million deal, but I think it'll be structured in a cap friendly and team friendly way.

Win win, he gets the biggest contract ever for a defensive player, and we keep him.

(Ex: tacking on years that will never get paid at that rate, giving him incentives he'll never reach, and something like $30-$40 million guaranteed plus $6 to $12 million per season, on a six year deal, with the small numbers at the front...)

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Cartire":5j9sz70q said:
Carmon1274":5j9sz70q said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

Your insane. While the read option did help open up the offense, Russel's stats in the pocket have been excellent. He never even ran the read option is whole career (HS, college, ect) until midway through the season last year. So to say he needs the read option to be successful is naive.

Curious about something...

You say that RW didn't start running the option until half way though the season. This forum has stated hundreds of times that RW flourished when the playbook opened up for him during the season, and before hand that be wasn't all that great before that occurred.

So by your statement, does the installation of the read option coincide with the time that RW started to perform well in the league?

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Ian on with Kam last week after the first mini-camp and Kam has said all the guy's (LOB) have talked about things, they all know how the cap works, and would all love to stay together for as long as possible. Guys on this team are actually really friends, they hang out all the time in the off season. When Sherman was throwing out the first pitch at Safeco, Kam and Earl were there with him along with his brother Branton. These guys truly enjoy each other's company. That factors in to an extent to where, say Earl deserves to be the highest paid FS in the NFL, the team does that deal, the other guys get that and know that there are only so many dollars to go around. I wouldn't be surprised if Sherman and Earl and possibly Kam if he gets his restructure done this off season all retire as Seahawks.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3jb82p9f said:
Cartire":3jb82p9f said:
Carmon1274":3jb82p9f said:

Your insane. While the read option did help open up the offense, Russel's stats in the pocket have been excellent. He never even ran the read option is whole career (HS, college, ect) until midway through the season last year. So to say he needs the read option to be successful is naive.

Curious about something...

You say that RW didn't start running the option until half way though the season. This forum has stated hundreds of times that RW flourished when the playbook opened up for him during the season, and before hand that be wasn't all that great before that occurred.

So by your statement, does the installation of the read option coincide with the time that RW started to perform well in the league?

The playbook opening up for him is not another way of saying "we started to run the read-option". It was a part of it, sure. We utilized his skills. Throwing the ball a bit more and having far less vanilla play calling was the other part of it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
It would be nice to see a player pay attention to what happens to the teams that pay one player 15% or more of their salary cap. Especially QBs. Those teams have to then get rid of players that helped the high priced guy look good in the first place. Have we seen a team that pays that much to one player get better or even sustain their winning? Sure, the guys that get paid that much are great players, but this is a team sport and getting that much actually hurts the team.