Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

RockHawk

Reaction score
All,
When I saw the huge numbers Darrelle Revis received from Tampa Bay today, my first thought was "no way this front office pays that for Sherman. Damn that's more than half the budget for the whole damn defense right now!"

What do you guys think? Would our front office pay 16 million per year for Sherman? Is there any way you see him taking a "home town discount" to try and keep the legion of boom together?

Discuss....

JSeahawks

Reaction score
One way or another i think he'll remain a Seahawk.

The scary thing is Sherman's contract will be peanuts compared to what Russell Wilson will probably get.

Cartire

Reaction score
A discount, yes, but not to much.

It all depends on how he balls up this year. If he duplicates his stats from last season, I can see 12-13 million a year he accepts for hawks. If he has a worse year for some reason, we might be able to retain him for a tad less.

It sucks, but the only way we keep both thomas and sherman is by cutting miller and rice. I am for that unfortunately.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

grizbob

Reaction score
I think his personal goals will be more attainable right where he's at. :th2thumbs: :49ersmall:

Eamon696

Reaction score
It's going to be a difficult few years ahead in regards to keeping our players. Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, and Russell Okung are all going to be wanting new contracts over the next 2-3 seasons and we can't keep them all.

My guess is that Russell Wilson and Okung, Earl Thomas, and Bobby Wagner all remain Seahawks. I would love to keep Sherman and Wright but it may not be financially possible.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Carmon1274":5uzorrdh said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

That part about Russell Wilson is just silly. He never once ran read option in college and he was already a great QB. He would still be a great NFL qb even if he never ran another read option play.

Cartire

Reaction score
Carmon1274":3cn5kmd4 said:

Your insane. While the read option did help open up the offense, Russel's stats in the pocket have been excellent. He never even ran the read option is whole career (HS, college, ect) until midway through the season last year. So to say he needs the read option to be successful is naive.

Zer0veritas

Reaction score
yes it largely depends on what his numbers are like this year. If he puts up even better numbers this year then last then we may be in trouble as Sherman would most definitely be the best CB in the league. It's tough to say without seeing this season through. I do believe however that if we do pay the man it will be front loaded with many incentives to pay out in full over the next 6 years or so... I do believe they will keep the defense in tact but we have to be realistic here and know that we won't be able to pay EVERYONE superstar money.

I think it would be best to start a list at who you guys see as being expendable and who most definitely is not (tough to do from a homers perspective).

IMO Sherm the Worm is NOT expendable, we need to keep the best CB in the league a Seahawk for years to come, plus he is funny and brings much needed attitude to a once boring/lame Seahawks organization under the Boy Scout Ruskell era.

Browner is expendable especially if Thurman can stay healthy or we can find value somewhere in this draft. Good tall physical CB's are tough to find, I mean we had to go to the CFL to find Browner so who knows.

our entire DL is expendable as they are currently unproven and Clemons is injured, who knows if he will be able to recover fully at his age.

Thomas - too valuable.
Chancellor - Could go either way here, the guy hits like a train but does mess up in coverage schemes at times. Tough call here, I think if you can't re-sign him for cheap then you let him test the market. You need to start making sacrifices somewhere.

Eamon696

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2kf97m8t said:

What a ridiculous post. Russell Wilson, without the read option, would still be an incredible QB with elite potential.

Cartire

Reaction score
Eamon696":ut07znz6 said:
It's going to be a difficult few years ahead in regards to keeping our players. Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, and Russell Okung are all going to be wanting new contracts over the next 2-3 seasons and we can't keep them all.

My guess is that Russell Wilson and Okung, Earl Thomas, and Bobby Wagner all remain Seahawks. I would love to keep Sherman and Wright but it may not be financially possible.

Wagner and Wright wont have crazy contracts, and by the time Wagner is due, the cap should be a lot higher then it is now.

Okung and thomas already has a decent contract thanks to his deal being done prior new cba, so all though it will be bigger, it wont be such a massive difference then it is now.

Wilson and Sherman are the only ones who will require massive contracts which will be a huge change then their current ones. Like I said before, we drop miller and rice, and those contracts should be no problem.

Steve2222

Reaction score
You guys do realize none of that money in Revis' contract is guaranteed right.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Important thing to remember is that these contracts are largely judged on their guarantees. Revis's contract has a $0.00 guaranty. This is extremely unusual, and I think it inflates the overall number a bit.

I think this situation is too unique to say it's either bad news or good news for Seattle/Sherman. That contract will almost assuredly have guaranteed money in it. Does that mean the overall number is significantly less? We can only speculate.

PhillySeahawk

Reaction score
The Revis contract is misleading because none of it is guaranteed. Sherman's won't approach that amount because he'll have some guaranteed money in his deal.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":1k9rk54w said:

Yes, but there's 0 chance he's cut in the first 2 years, which is why I estimated the value at $32million the first 2 years.

rcambaker

Reaction score
For that much money I think there is no way Sherman remains a Seahawk. As much as I would hate Sherman to go if he wants that much money the Seahawks would seriously have to think about trading him next year. Of course I have full confidence that John and Pete will some how make it work.

Steve2222

Reaction score
RockHawk":2dyvhdt9 said:
Steve2222":2dyvhdt9 said:

Yes, but there's 0 chance he's cut in the first 2 years, which is why I estimated the value at $32million the first 2 years.

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea how salaries work in the NFL lol.

Cartire

Reaction score
RockHawk":8ooy7p1z said:
Steve2222":8ooy7p1z said:

If he gets injured again (high possibility coming off an acl) then hes gone. So i would say there is more then a 0 chance.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's zero chance. If he gets hurt badly next year or just has an atrocious year, they might cut their losses. I'd concede the chances of that are very, very slim, though. Pride could stop them from doing that, if nothing else.