Cary Williams a Seahawk (It's Official)

sutz

Reaction score
HawkMeat":2yzpyrmh said:
Philly fans rejoicing seems silly when you look at the secondary last year. Horrible as a unit. Maxwell is a player to be happy about getting, but without a better safety and opposite side to Maxie I question how much should they be rejoicing.
I am ok with this signing because this unit needed some veteran depth.
:13: Plus, I fully expect action in the draft. They draft DB almost every year anyway, and it just makes sense to throw a couple more young guys into the mix for future consideration. I see this as a move to reduce the chance of needing to depend on rookies (like Simon last season) in critical situations, not to mention basic injury insurance.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TheHawkster":1tepfy4e said:
He might be a fit even though some say Stevie Wonder is better in coverage...

Cary-Williams-fake-tough-guys.jpg
He should know. I think I like him. :th2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know his arm length?

Have been able to find his pro day info but can't yet find his arm length.

He seems to be a savvy CB and somewhat of a ballhawk. From everything I've read on him so far he's better in press coverage than zone so I wonder if he will fit when the team is playing C3 coverage?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Here...
Campus: 4.43 in the 40-yard dash … 1.47 10-yard dash … 2.56 20-yard dash … 4.34 20-yard shuttle …

6.94 three-cone drill … 32 1/2-inch vertical jump … 9'11" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 8 times … 245-pound bench press … 330-pound squat … 242-pound power clean … 32 5/8-inch arm length … 9-inch hands … Left-handed … 14/18 Wonderlic score.

Jville

Reaction score
TAB420":f3s871uu said:
And a 3rd round comp pick.

Maybe this will make you feel better ..........
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/575137439838142464[/tweet]

also .....
[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/575147100012351488[/tweet]

Byron Maxwell arm length is 33 1/2 .

firebee

Reaction score
Out of all the CBs in free agency, minus Maxwell, Cary Williams is the one I wanted most. Extremely under-rated. Played extremely well for Philly, even though he had no help over the top from the Safeties, Philly's biggest weakness on defense. Big, physical, durable, has a swagger and he plays the ball well. I'm super stoked we landed Cary Williams. He's going to be awesome across from Sherman.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JS talking about Williams:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/weekapaug009/status/575423032858165248[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/weekapaug009/status/575423240476213249[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/575423392167284736[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
I would have liked this deal a lot more as a true 1 year contract. That way Williams has "contract year" motivation and if we lose him next year we'd potentially get a mid-round pick out of it. As it is now, Seattle will likely cut Williams by year three and not get a comp pick. So for this signing to look smart, we're going to need Williams to play at roughly a Maxwell type level for three years.

The fact that it's effectively a 'swap' with the Eagles gives it the feel of a trade. One of those trades where you know you downgraded your team a bit but it had to be done. Like when the Sonics dealt Shawn Kemp for Vin Baker.

Still, really hard to bash this move given the alternatives. You could almost say this was a move Seattle had to make.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having Josh Wilson back. Revis would be great to have :) Don't know much about Williams, so I'll have to just trust that JS/PC know what they're doing.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
kearly":27u98pnq said:
I would have liked this deal a lot more as a true 1 year contract. That way Williams has "contract year" motivation and if we lose him next year we'd potentially get a mid-round pick out of it. As it is now, Seattle will likely cut Williams by year three and not get a comp pick. So for this signing to look smart, we're going to need Williams to play at roughly a Maxwell type level for three years.

The fact that it's effectively a 'swap' with the Eagles gives it the feel of a trade. One of those trades where you know you downgraded your team a bit but it had to be done. Like when the Sonics dealt Shawn Kemp for Vin Baker.

Still, really hard to bash this move given the alternatives. You could almost say this was a move Seattle had to make.

I don't know if they could have done it as a straight up one year deal, we aren't sure the terms or how much $$ Wilson and Wagner contracts will take up. But i agree its hard to bash the deal, and seems like it had to be done.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
pehawk":h00kr77d said:
Sherman got torched in the Atlanta playoff game once or twice too. Just part of becoming a vet.

No. And I know what play your talking about. Kam blew his assignment. I do get your point though

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":18wo64i8 said:

Had to make us think about Vin Baker huh?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
When Cary Williams was in Baltimore he was on a local radio station's show called "Cover 2". They asked him what they thought about the famous Golden Tate Green Bay catch. He said there was no way that it was a catch and the Seahawks shouldn't have won.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3iux9zek said:
When Cary Williams was in Baltimore he was on a local radio station's show called "Cover 2". They asked him what they thought about the famous Golden Tate Green Bay catch. He said there was no way that it was a catch and the Seahawks shouldn't have won.
Ok

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bmorepunk":nxdi2yyu said:

So he agreed with the majority of the country?

Basis4day

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":zzq57t71 said:
Why in gods name are we paying cary williams 7 million in 2015???

He'll make 7 million but only count 4.6 million towards the cap. After this season there will be 2.3 million in dead money and a cap hit of 6.1 if we keep him. Again, all signs indicate the cap will continue to rise.

So if this season doesn't work out we eat 2.3 million. on next years cap. If he works out, it will be worth the money.

fef

Reaction score
coming from someone who has watched him play week in week out, this was a really bad signing for you guys. He's a PI machine, half the time he doesn't even turn around and look to see if the ball is coming his way. hopefully he will be better with you guys, as you have better safties to help him out, but i would not be optimistic about this signing.

:2: