7 for 7 Series: Edges!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Some might argue we don't need another Edge with Nwosu, Mafe, Hall, and Taylor on the roster. But it's a premium position and you might want to pull the trigger on one that is enticing enough early or late. There are some I like throughout this draft.

I like the Edges to be pretty good size (250-260) with good arm length (32'+). The 10 yard split is probably more important than straight line speed. For Macdonald's defense, you want guys versatile enough to drop as well. Yes. Mac does it quite a bit and more frequently than Ken Norton Jr.

1st Round

Chop Robinson
: 6'3, 254 lbs, 32.5'' arms, 4.48 (40-yard), 1.54 (10-yard), 4.25 (Shuttle), 34.5'' (Vertical): He just turned 21 years old. He's a young bull. He needs to continue to develop his body and get a little thicker. Darrell Taylor had this same problem and it continues to give him fits. I know there are some real dudes at the top with Turner, Latu, and Verse. I'm rolling with the most explosive one with the best get-off that we have seen in awhile. There is a lack of production and he does struggle with the run at times. He doesn't have the best discipline to stay in gap fits and will gamble to take his shots. Right now he's a speed rusher but that get-off and bend is so elite that sometimes that's all he needs. He will need to refine and develop more moves to beat NFL OTs consistently. He's also someone that is most likely to drop to the Seahawks range.

2nd Round

Jonah Elliss:
6'2, 248 lbs, 33'' arms, 6.69 (3 Cone), 4.17 (Shuttle), 38'' (Vertical): He just turned 21. He's a forgotten man. He had great production in college and knows how to get after the pass rusher. He was recovering from injuries for most of the draft process and just had his individual pro day. These times are nuts and confirms him as a freak athlete as an Edge. He's a little undersize and he's much better rushing the passer than stopping the run. Already shows speed to power, huge spin move, knows how to use his hands to rip & pull, has a ghost move, and the motor runs hot. He's a massive get here and his name is flying under the radar during the draft process.

3rd Round

Chris Braswell:
6'3, 251 lbs, 33.25'' arms, 4.60 (40-yard), 1.58 (10-yard), 33.5'' (Vertical),: He'll be 23 in his rookie season. He doesn't really have any elite skills. He has good traits and good skills across the board. I think he can work himself into being a decent Edge #2 type in the league. He is more finesse than power. He does have some nice moves but still needs to work on his game. Darrell Taylor got drafted in the 2nd round and I see similarities. However, he does a better job setting the edge than Taylor does in the run game.

4th Round

Brennan Jackson:
6'4, 264 lbs, 32.75'' arms, 4.69 (40-yard), 1.62 (10-yard), 21 Reps (Bench) 33.5'' (Vertical), 4.34 (Shuttle), 7.43 (3 Cone): He'll be 24 in his rookie season. Classic try-hard that hustles and gives it his all. The 40 time is not great but the 10-yard split indicates that his initial burst is better. He had great production in college. Fully commits to stopping the run as much as he gets after the QB. He might be a really good rotational piece. What you see is what you get.

5th Round

Jaylen Harrell
: 6'4, 250 lbs, 33.25'' arms, 4.68 (40-yard), 4.39 (Shuttle), 37'' (Vertical): He'll be 22 in his rookie year. Looks like he has bulked up a little during the pre-draft process. Gives a lot of effort rushing the passer and the motor runs hot. He's a solid run defender as well. He's not the best athlete but does everything average to good. The biggest knock on him was his size and bulk at Michigan. He doesn't have the great bend and doesn't win with power. It sort of limits his ways to win against NFL OTs.

6th Round

Jalyx Hunt
: 6'4, 262 lbs, 34'' arms, 4.64 (40-yard), 1.60 (10-yard), 37.5'' (Vertical), 19 (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie year. Small school dude with enticing traits and length. He's still super raw and is a developmental type of Edge. He's explosive off the LOS and depends on his get-off and speed to win. He lacks pass moves and needs to use his hands better. Worth a shot later here.

7th Round

Cedric Johnson:
6'3, 260 lbs, 34.5'' arms, 4.63 (40 Yard), 1.61 (10 Yard), 38'' (Vertical), 25 Reps (Bench): He'll be 22 in his rookie season. He needs to win with power because he doesn't have a lot of bend. A little raw with pass moves and hand use. He's young and athletic with explosive traits. Despite being 260, he's not very physical and still needs to use his strength better. Traits over production at this point of the draft.

UDFA

Eric Watts: 6'6, 274 lbs, 35.75'' arms, 4.67 (40 Yard), 1.65 (10 Yard), 36.5'' (Vertical), 21 Reps (Bench): He's still pretty raw but with incredible length. Really is a unicorn with size, length, and speed. If you want to develop a big Edge then Watts might be a late round selection or UDFA priority.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Had to rush this one because I accidentally pressed the post button...

ivotuk

Reaction score
6th Round

Jalyx Hunt
: 6'4, 262 lbs, 34' arms, 4.64 (40-yard), 1.60 (10-yard), 37.5' (Vertical), 19 (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie year. Small school dude with enticing traits and length. He's still super raw and is a developmental type of Edge. He's explosive off the LOS and depends on his get-off and speed to win. He lacks pass moves and needs to use his hands better. Worth a shot later here.
34 foot arms? Holy cow!

I think it's personal preference for everyone, but I learned it as ' = feet and " = inches. But I'm also lazy and I don't like hunting for the Shift key to make it a "
Most people can infer whatever one is used and what it is meant for.
:p

Last edited:

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I hope if they look at edge in the draft that it's not at OLB again. I think we are pretty set there. But they do have a ton of money tied up in Jones and Williams who are good but not game wreckers. Might not bode well long term for this team.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
34 foot arms? Holy cow!

I think it's personal preference for everyone, but I learned it as ' = feet and " = inches. But I'm also lazy and I don't like hunting for the Shift key to make it a "
Most people can infer whatever one is used and what it is meant for.
:p
Eh...you know what I meant. Fixed just for you :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I hope if they look at edge in the draft that it's not at OLB again. I think we are pretty set there. But they do have a ton of money tied up in Jones and Williams who are good but not game wreckers. Might not bode well long term for this team.
Look at my DE post. I think those are the guys you are referring to.

Chawker

Reaction score
If we do draft a edge DE he needs to be able to play the run, not so much as a pure pass rusher. Flexible player.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
How come you don't include the the largely regarded top 3 guys, Latu, Turner and Verse, in these edge and end write-ups?

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
How come you don't include the the largely regarded top 3 guys, Latu, Turner and Verse, in these edge and end write-ups?

I think my mindset was most people already know these guys. Plus for most of the early position write-ups I stuck more to the rules of picking 1 for each round. The later write-ups I included more names.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I see. Thanks.

Although I don't agree with that assessment. I think at least one of those three will be there, and maybe even two.

My guess is Latu will be the guy off the board. I know a lot of guys have Turner off first... but man, Latu has it all. Production in college, best athlete in the draft... and I've even heard somewhere that teams have already cleared him medically, which is his knock.

Last edited: