Cary Williams a Seahawk (It's Official)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Scott's not kidding. I tried to watch some film on Williams and the over the top help by Nate Allen brought back memories of Terreal Bierria and Etric Pruitt.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3uyf56kz said:
Anyone surprised by the contract numbers? 3y/$18M seems a little much. They must know something we don't...

Wow . . . that's a starter's salary. They must have lost some faith in Tharold Simon after his performance in the playoffs. Lane's serious injury is also a concern.

Williams was shredded pretty good in 2013: 1,240 snaps, 70 receptions on 118 targets (59.3%) with four touchdowns allowed, giving up an average of 11.6 yards per catch. 65 solo tackles but 14 missed tackles.

He was better statistically last year: 1,198 snaps, 56 receptions on 99 targets (56.6%) with five touchdowns allowed, giving up an average of 13.5 yards per catch. He played more snaps than any corner in the league.

Hyak

Reaction score
Interested to see the exact terms with regard to the SB. Suspect he will have a cap number around $ 3 M - $ 4 M for 2015. His ability is A LOT closer to Maxwell's than the contracts they just received. I like Maxwell but he's not a 10 M+ per year CB.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Tical21":1uzi76rh said:
Still hoping Simon earns that job.

I guess the 4 TDs in 3 playoff games passing wasn't enough for you? He gave up as many Passing TDs in the playoffs as the Seahawks did all regular season combined.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
lukerguy":2f64ara2 said:
Tical21":2f64ara2 said:

I guess the 4 TDs in 3 playoff games passing wasn't enough for you? He gave up as many Passing TDs in the playoffs as the Seahawks did all regular season combined.
I guess playing injured doesn't matter to you? Compare his play before and after his injuries

Hyak

Reaction score
Under reported is that Simon is also recovering from shoulder surgery so the need for immediate help was huge. I also think the injury affected his play - he was much better before the shoulder but he also is pretty raw.

Williams and Blackmon give the Hawks some wiggle room.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":fgrxyoat said:
Williams and Blackmon give the Hawks some wiggle room.

But both are significant downgrades at the position, which is what's worrisome.

I'm OK with losing players, but not when their replacements are significant downgrades. Both Williams and Blackmon are nice depth pieces, but sorry can't get too excited over either of them.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The deal is likely only guaranteed for this year. That makes it basically a 1-year prove-it and ends up a bargain if Williams ends up being a quality CB2.

Maxwell's guarantees alone are $25 million, APY is $10 million. I like Maxwell well enough, but are we sure that he is that much better from a pure skill perspective? I'm not entirely convinced.

Hyak

Reaction score
Williams was signed to replace Maxwell, not be depth IMO. I personally don't think it's a huge downgrade as I think the talent around him will be a huge upgrade over what he had in Philly.

sutz

Reaction score
JTB":2u8bussl said:
Williams was signed to replace Maxwell, not be depth IMO. I personally don't think it's a huge downgrade as I think the talent around him will be a huge upgrade over what he had in Philly.
The safety support alone will elevate an average CB's game.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Count me in with David. I don't believe the talent gap warrants the money difference and like Scott mentioned above the supporting cast will make a press corner look bad at times. I'm not saying he's Maxwell but I think he will do well. His strengths fit in with what we do and he will improve on his numbers from the previous two years. He will be a solid starter if he wins the job and great depth if he doesn't. We saw what a lack of depth can do to you in the SB. I still like the combination of Williams and Blackmon. Throw in a healthy Simon and the group looks much better than it did a couple of days ago.

Northhawk

Reaction score
For what it's worth, most Philly fans are rejoicing about Williams leaving their team. Not that Eagles fans r experts but it's worrisome.

Since Maxwell in many's view is a good #2 - average #1 and Williams is an average to weak #2, this year may prove what makes a good secondary: talent or scheme. Of course, it's both but which matters more. We shall see.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
sutz":1nmqrf74 said:
JTB":1nmqrf74 said:
The safety support alone will elevate an average CB's game.

The coaching staff will elevate an average CB's game.

Add in the safety support and Sherman on the other side, and you've got Byron Maxwell getting $63M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":244ym5d0 said:

Huge downgrade? No, but downgrade none the less...........in both talent and age.

But yeah, the LOB and our defense as a whole should elevate William's game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Northhawk":fvg69iod said:
For what it's worth, most Philly fans are rejoicing about Williams leaving their team. Not that Eagles fans r experts but it's worrisome.

Since Maxwell in many's view is a good #2 - average #1 and Williams is an average to weak #2, this year may prove what makes a good secondary: talent or scheme. Of course, it's both but which matters more. We shall see.

Yeah and people were crying when we traded Darryl Tapp for Chris Clemons.

You never know how a player will fit on a different team. The fact that Williams was a good player in Baltimore leads me to believe his struggles last year were more a result of a horrible Defense in Philadelphia.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Philly fans rejoicing seems silly when you look at the secondary last year. Horrible as a unit. Maxwell is a player to be happy about getting, but without a better safety and opposite side to Maxie I question how much should they be rejoicing.
I am ok with this signing because this unit needed some veteran depth.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":26em6tam said:
lukerguy":26em6tam said:
Tical21":26em6tam said:

I guess playing injured doesn't matter to you? Compare his play before and after his injuries

An injured "rookie" coming off the sidelines in relief at that. Simon needs to be better prepared, but judging him based on his performance in those games seems a little premature.