Can this team still win SB51 without Earl Thomas?

Can the Seahawks win SB51 without Earl Thomas

• Yes

Votes: 188 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 15.3%

• Total voters

McGruff

Reaction score
Multiple posts were deleted due to derailing.

If you want to talk about Darrell Bevell, please start a thread pertaining to Darrell Bevell.

This one is for the impact of Earl Thomas on our Superbowl chances.

Largent80

Reaction score
McGruff":2bss2eni said:
Multiple posts were deleted due to derailing.

If you want to talk about Darrell Bevell, please start a thread pertaining to Darrell Bevell.

This one is for the impact of Earl Thomas on our Superbowl chances.

You have your work cut out. There is even a mention of Bevell in the NFL forum regarding the Rams mediocrity.... :lol:

SeaChat

Reaction score
One thing I've really come to appreciate about the way the Seahawks train and play is "The Next Man Up" method or mantality. That way no one is irreplaceable .

Earl Thomas is a superman type of person and player, and there is no doubt that Earl is going to be sorely missed on the field for the remainder of this season any ways, but the Seahawks have a talent filled roster, to draw from, and while the next man up to fill Earl's position, may not be Earl Thomas Reincarnate, you can bet that he is more than qualifies to compete in that position against any NFL team.

In spite of all the contrary arguments heard about the quality and competency of our coaching staff. By teaching every player to play their specific position the same way, it does allow for us to carry on no matter who leaves the game. As to the super bowl, it takes both, coordinated talent, playing in unison, and a bunch of luck to get to the Really Big Show, no matter what player is where in your lineup. That and have the NY NFL controlled officals not making your path getting there more difficult.

Tical21

Reaction score
I just don't know. I think he's the soul. More important than anyone but Russ. Even Sherm, because of what he brings spiritually. Kam isn't the emotional leader, Earl is. Tough times will be harder to get through without him.

sam1313

Reaction score
I am surprised this is even a question. the fact that 13% of the answers say no is really surprising to me.

next man up. Our D will still be the best in the playoffs barring any addtiional season ending injuries.

HansGruber

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2quvo7tr said:
Cam Newton was pretty unremarkable last night. I thought at first it must have been coverage by the LOB, including Terrill, keeping him from throwing. Then I realized that Carolina was in max protect for much of the game, keeping Cam upright at the cost of giving him targets downfield. So maybe Terrill had it easy.

Huh??? Carolina was running 4- or 5-WR sets a bunch last night. They started trying to run the ball after it became apparent that our secondary wasn't going to give up enough plays to make a difference. Ginn had a pretty decent night but much of that was against Shead and Sherman. That happens sometimes.

Having been at the game, and specifically watching Terrell in coverage (because I was worried about the Thomas injury), I saw Terrell doing a pretty good job. He wasn't getting beat. Often was shadowing his guy. You don't see it on television because they rarely zoom back far enough to see the backend of the secondary (unless a pass is going deep), but I saw Terrell on every down he played. And he looked good. Not "Earl Thomas good", but good enough to prevent Cam Newton from throwing at him.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Tical21":nn8qman6 said:
I just don't know. I think he's the soul. More important than anyone but Russ. Even Sherm, because of what he brings spiritually. Kam isn't the emotional leader, Earl is. Tough times will be harder to get through without him.

How do you explain the huge drop-off when Kam was injured and/or holding out?

I'm not buying this. Sure, Earl Thomas is emotional out there, but there was a major improvement on defense when Kam came back last season. Kam is the enforcer, and our defense CLEARLY responds when he's on the field. It was startling to me how much of a difference he made.

Watching the secondary last night, Terrell came in and did a pretty darn good job and there really wasn't too much of a drop-off.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":xbm9898a said:
What say you?
OF COURSE they 'can' - the real question is about 'will they?' and the answer to that is vastly more wide-ranging.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HansGruber":mjnhnr0b said:
Watching the secondary last night, Terrell came in and did a pretty darn good job and there really wasn't too much of a drop-off.

A bigger test will come this week for Terrell with Rodgers, who is one of the best in the game at manipulating safeties.

I of course miss Earl already, but I'm more worried about our depth, we just can't keep sustaining these major injuries and expect to compete for another SB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":15jisdvg said:
Tical21":15jisdvg said:

How do you explain the huge drop-off when Kam was injured and/or holding out?

I'm not buying this. Sure, Earl Thomas is emotional out there, but there was a major improvement on defense when Kam came back last season. Kam is the enforcer, and our defense CLEARLY responds when he's on the field. It was startling to me how much of a difference he made.

I stopped reading posts after this because because lets see .."Green bay is going to beat us"
"Earl is the leader so we are screwed" "We need to average 35 points now"I disagree with all three.I get to the post above and I agree 100% with it so no need to read more.Kam is in the center and pumps the guys up before they take the field,he is the alpha dog of that defense and as above stated they respond when he is playing.Earl is important but I'd be more worried if it was Kam,Wags or Bennett as we really don't have guys that can fill in..

Largent80

Reaction score
Terrell has 4.3 speed. He's had at least 2 full games played this year maybe 21/2. Earl is going to be on the sidelines helping out. I heard that from Pete's mouth this morning.

Plus we got Morgan back. We have been severely lacking at SAM.

Basically we can't afford to lose quite a few players in spite of our depth, but I like our chances. Earl or no.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately it sounds like any hope of having Earl back for the playoffs or SB are gone. Pete said in his press conference today that he doesn't believe Earl has a chance to play again this season and that it's going to be a while after the season before he'll recover. Sounds like a bit more complicated of a break than originally hoped for.

Get well Earl, praying for a full recovery!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
DJrmb":1c920djs said:
Well, unfortunately it sounds like any hope of having Earl back for the playoffs or SB are gone. Pete said in his press conference today that he doesn't believe Earl has a chance to play again this season and that it's going to be a while after the season before he'll recover. Sounds like a bit more complicated of a break than originally hoped for.

Get well Earl, praying for a full recovery!

Ugh..............this sucks.

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":2v09e0gs said:
OkieHawk":2v09e0gs said:
Largent80":2v09e0gs said:
If you watched the playoffs last year Carolina put up 31 points in the first half.... WITH Earl in there.

Plus, we both won and lost a SB with him.

Good points. Earl is an important cog in our defense, but we still have more than enough pieces to make a great defense.

You could argue we lost the suberbowl due to losing Avril and Lane

Or.... HAVING Tharold Simon.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
This coaching staff has enough smarts to make this team into a top 10 defense, without Earl. Not ideal, but coupled with a top 10 offense, we still have a real chance.

I like our chances.

RussB

Reaction score
Like i said before, team is still in very good shape even with the loss of earl.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Does anyone think there isn't as big of a drop off with Terrell in back.

I just don't seem as worried about it as maybe some others are.

I will say it sucks about Earl's injury.

Clark the shark

Reaction score
I think that its a bit different than having Earl play without Kam because McCray is a very good backup, I dont feel the same way about Terrell. I feel like the hawks still have a very good chance to win it all but when we play teams like the falcons and other elite passing teams in the playoffs its going to be tough to stop them. Turnovers will be huge.

McGruff

Reaction score
Completely different positins, but based on a very small sample size, I wctually trust Terrell more than Mccray.

chris98251

Reaction score
Terrell came in cold and had to sprint and cover Ginn, a slow and clumsy guy by all accounts :) who made a hell of a catch with two guys on him in decent coverage. That was the only time that he had his name called except for the bogus pass interference that should have been on another player.