C.J. Prosise has a first-degree sprain (hip)

Donn2390

Reaction score
Cyrus12":7w1uuo7t said:
Donn2390":7w1uuo7t said:
Sure fun watching Prosise pissing all over the nay sayers tonight.
Yep just made his case for the ring of honor vs 4th string scrubs or maybe just for walking out onto the field without hurting himself.
I DIDN'T MEAN TO DANCE ON YOUR FRAGILE EGO.. I forgot most in here know more than the coaches do...

D

DomeHawk

Donn2390":1svlbbvh said:
Cyrus12":1svlbbvh said:
Donn2390":1svlbbvh said:
Yep just made his case for the ring of honor vs 4th string scrubs or maybe just for walking out onto the field without hurting himself.
I DIDN'T MEAN TO DANCE ON YOUR FRAGILE EGO.. I forgot most in here know more than the coaches do...

It's a forum for discussion. Get it?

Otherwise we could all just post rah-rah-rah, the coach knows best. Coaches can be wrong too, it's not an exact science.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":18rhcfxv said:
Scorpion05":18rhcfxv said:
WestcoastSteve":18rhcfxv said:
Scorpion05":18rhcfxv said:
Let me rephrase. My point is that him being a 3rd round pick, his past performance when on the field, PLUS the fact that he's really really cheap, is why he has a roster spot. Even if we stash him on IR.

I get that at some point, eventually it feels pointless. But he's not a "burden" on our team, so there's no reason to get rid of him beyond just being frustrated with him as fans.

You are way oversimplifying things. The reason to get rid of him is you cut a guy like Homer and risk losing him to another team because you kept Procise who could be on IR. A big reason the Hawks lost Alex Collins (he had one good year and one terrible one) is they decided to keep CJ instead.

FWIW I think you're right I would keep him -- but it's not that cut and dry.

For me it is. You guys are freaking out over a roster spot, as if that’s usually the beginning or end of the team. If he’s on IR, the roster spot is open. If he’s on the team, he’s healthy enough for potentially game breaking snaps.

Homer is a rookie, and I get that we’re excited over rookies. But what about Homer would make a coach want to keep him over CJ?

How about the ability to stay on the field? CJ has not proven anything and after a few series and a couple good runs vs guys who weren't interested in playing or getting hurt and hes all of a sudden the number 2.

CJ has actually shown he can help us win games in this league. My memory isn't that short.

Injuries are unfortunate. NFL fan culture sees these people as chess pieces on a board rather than as human beings. Not only is CJ currently affordable, and not a burden on the team. He's likely great in the locker room, and fits the Hawks culture.

It also sends a message to the rest of the team. That the coaching staff cares, and won't easily give up on you over things you can't control. That speaks volumes to the rest of the team in terms of culture.

chris98251

Reaction score
He showcased what he can do, with Homer and McKissic also here bit not guys teams will fee can carry a load someone will have to go, Scarborough is another one. Homer, and Scarborough may make it to the practice squad, McKissic will be picked up by someone I am pretty sure much like Pope a couple years back, he has proven he can play and does multiple things.

He is healthy for now and was displayed last night. This is when you make a deal if your gonna, I lean towards a deal with Prosise, he can play well when he plays, but its all about the when.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Roster spots are extremely valuable on a week to week basis but the "cost" of cutting a young player isn't nearly as high as it seems in August when you've seen a bunch of young skill position players running around with minimal contact. The guys who are ready to make an immediate impact in the NFL will make the team. The ones who don't make the team can be substituted by any of the hundreds of other promising young athletes who aren't quite ready.

How many players have we cut in August that we ended up regretting over the long term? Neither Kasen Wiliams nor Alex Collins are currently on an NFL roster. Cyril Grayson is a long shot in New Orleans. Troymaine Pope looks like he may make the Chargers roster this season but seems unlikely to get much playing time. Kris Durham looked like a receiver for the Lions for a year but is out of the league now.

On the other hand, we waived DeShawn Shead back in 2012 as our final cut down. He improved over time on the practice squad and ultimately joined the regular roster as a key contributor. There just isn't room to treat part of our 53 man roster as a minor league squad, other than exceptionally rare cases like 20 year old Rasheem Green last year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I'm quite certain that Pete will use him in this next game with Oakland Thursday night. I'd like to see him play the first half.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Showed exactly why they’ve kept patience with him through all injuries. When on field he plays at a different level. Hope stats healthy and on the roster but my realistic/pessimist sees only 2 scenarios. 1. Makes the 53 and falls right back into injury mode. 2. Gets showcased and is shipped off for late round pick or someone on another roster and ends up just killing it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just a bummer he can't stay healthy. Anyone who actually watches the guy play can see he has a LOT of talent.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think there is a lot about CJ's injury situation that Pete and the team haven't told us.
Ever since his fractured scapula in 2016, he's just not been able to stay healthy. He had some "abdominal surgery" this off-season. I think there was a long-term issue that simply didn't heal right, and the team and doctors involved somehow guessed wrong at different times about what he'd need to get to NFL-ready body health state. I'm reasonably optimistic that it's finally been corrected and we will see a healthy, dynamic, exciting CJ for much of this year. This year, he could easily be one of those unheralded X-factor players that makes several difference-making plays over the course of the season to get the Seahawks over the top again.

In the 2013-2014 glory years, there were several season-changing plays (in hindsight) over the course of the year, where you can point to a few plays those unheralded guys made that preserved a W. Last year, for example, Tre Flowers was one X-factor guy, rookie making an open field tackle on a shifty RB preventing a 3rd down conversion and making the W possible. OL Jordan Simmons was another, when healthy, filling in for Fluker and making us not even miss him, with big-number team rushing yards games. Dissly was going to be that X-factor guy before his injury.

You just don't casually get rid of an ace-in-the-hole X-factor guy like Prosise, especially not at a position like RB with such a high injury rate, and especially not when he's cheap to keep.

toffee

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":25tjew21 said:
I'm quite certain that Pete will use him in this next game with Oakland Thursday night. I'd like to see him play the first half.
guessing Penny will get more reps than CJ, however, if CJ can stay healthy, he will have a better season than Penny.

Seymour

Reaction score
olyfan63":1v1h99oa said:
I think there is a lot about CJ's injury situation that Pete and the team haven't told us.
Ever since his fractured scapula in 2016, he's just not been able to stay healthy. He had some "abdominal surgery" this off-season. I think there was a long-term issue that simply didn't heal right, and the team and doctors involved somehow guessed wrong at different times about what he'd need to get to NFL-ready body health state. I'm reasonably optimistic that it's finally been corrected and we will see a healthy, dynamic, exciting CJ for much of this year. This year, he could easily be one of those unheralded X-factor players that makes several difference-making plays over the course of the season to get the Seahawks over the top again.

In the 2013-2014 glory years, there were several season-changing plays (in hindsight) over the course of the year, where you can point to a few plays those unheralded guys made that preserved a W. Last year, for example, Tre Flowers was one X-factor guy, rookie making an open field tackle on a shifty RB preventing a 3rd down conversion and making the W possible. OL Jordan Simmons was another, when healthy, filling in for Fluker and making us not even miss him, with big-number team rushing yards games. Dissly was going to be that X-factor guy before his injury.

You just don't casually get rid of an ace-in-the-hole X-factor guy like Prosise, especially not at a position like RB with such a high injury rate, and especially not when he's cheap to keep.

How could anyone possibly be optimistic that after 10 injuries over the last 3 years alone that Prosise is past his Mr. Glass reputation?

I want some of what he's smokin' because I honestly would like to believe that myself!!

:smilingalien:

olyfan63

Reaction score
AgentDib":1n47e3ky said:
Roster spots are extremely valuable on a week to week basis but the "cost" of cutting a young player isn't nearly as high as it seems in August when you've seen a bunch of young skill position players running around with minimal contact. The guys who are ready to make an immediate impact in the NFL will make the team. The ones who don't make the team can be substituted by any of the hundreds of other promising young athletes who aren't quite ready.

How many players have we cut in August that we ended up regretting over the long term? Neither Kasen Wiliams nor Alex Collins are currently on an NFL roster. Cyril Grayson is a long shot in New Orleans. Troymaine Pope looks like he may make the Chargers roster this season but seems unlikely to get much playing time. Kris Durham looked like a receiver for the Lions for a year but is out of the league now.

On the other hand, we waived DeShawn Shead back in 2012 as our final cut down. He improved over time on the practice squad and ultimately joined the regular roster as a key contributor. There just isn't room to treat part of our 53 man roster as a minor league squad, other than exceptionally rare cases like 20 year old Rasheem Green last year.

AgentDib FTW once again.
In context, I believe one of your points is that keeping a proven NFL-level talent like Prosise, over unproven potential ones like Homer and others, is a wise call and we should be wary of preseason shiny-object-syndrome, given historical precedents. BTW I really like what Homer has shown, just would keep Prosise over him if push came to shove. Jazz Ferguson, now that will be interesting to see how it plays out, what Pete and John do.

A recent "counterexample" would be K Jason Myers, who we cut last year, and PC/JS managed to bring back him here this year. I think we'd agree that Kickers are a different animal from skill players, in terms of roster spots. Exception proves the rule?

Going back a few more years of tough preseason cuts...
OK, so there's Spencer Ware, who had one near-1000 yard season with the KC Chiefs after being waived by Seattle in 2014, (but with a SB48 ring from 2013). Aside from that, he's been injured a lot. On the defensive side, there's S Ron Parker, now with the Chiefs, but that was in 2013 and there simply wasn't room for another DB on the Seattle roster,even a good one. Parker had a nice run with the Chiefs. "Parker has played exactly 4,300 snaps for Chiefs’ defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s group over the past five years—500 more snaps than any other player during that same time frame." (from Chiefs.com/news)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1bru9x8o said:
It's been argued that PC holds on to guys--both coaches and players--too long.

If C.J. has a good year this year and stays healthy, he should be extremely grateful to have a coach like that, even if the rest of us get a bit exasperated at times.
Hear here. :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":4ppmzq9d said:
Donn2390":4ppmzq9d said:
Cyrus12":4ppmzq9d said:
Donn2390":4ppmzq9d said:

It's a forum for discussion. Get it?

Otherwise we could all just post rah-rah-rah, the coach knows best. Coaches can be wrong too, it's not an exact science.
LOLOL, Yes, Coaches "Can Be Wrong Too", even Super Bowl Winning Coaches, but, :stirthepot: WAY MORE often than not, it's the presumptuous fans that don't know squat.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really hope the guy can stay healthy this year. He is a phenomenal talent, and basically won us that game against the Patriots. He is a "Game Changer."

toffee

Reaction score
Gotta wonder what will happen to penny if CJ outplays him for a season.’

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
So weird... Pete almost sounded like his voice was broken up and he was holding back tears when talking about CJ. I wonder if his injuries were more serious the last few years than originally thought. I think there is a piece of the story that we don't know.

As far as his skill is concerned, he is insane. He can run up the gut with decent power, he can slash you from the outside, and he is quite possibly one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. His route running is very precise and he has very good hands and YAC ability. Really good back for about a few drives per year.

Latest posts