Bye Weeks - does anyone know why?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Does anyone know WHY bye weeks are the way they are in the NFL?

Why don't they have a common bye week like the MLB allstar game break?

Just curious. 'Cause it's the first year I've really followed any baseball - and I think it's just a better system.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know WHY bye weeks are the way they are in the NFL?

Why don't they have a common bye week like the MLB allstar game break?

Just curious. 'Cause it's the first year I've really followed any baseball - and I think it's just a better system.

The answer is quite simple The NFL instituted the bye week to get an extra week of television revenue. There must still be teams playing each week to get that television revenue. If they all had a bye week at the same time, there'd be no games to televise and no extra revenue.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think it’s because it creates an X-factor.

Some “random” bye week every team has makes an impact in some way shape or form that purposefully impacts the team either positively or negatively.

If it was all during the same time, what good is that?

The NFL wants to make a “non-leveled” playing field with the hopes it creates additional parity.

Seak

Reaction score
The answer is quite simple The NFL instituted the bye week to get an extra week of television revenue. There must still be teams playing each week to get that television revenue. If they all had a bye week at the same time, there'd be no games to televise and no extra revenue.
sad but true

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can remember a time when they didn't have bye weeks. But that was back when the regular season schedule was 12 games and the NFL Championship game was held before New Year's Day.

The reason why MLB takes their 'bye' all at the same time is that it follows the All Star game. Pitchers in particular need a few days rest after pitching, so if a team's pitcher throws a few innings in an All Star game, he has a few days off to rest and it doesn't affect his team's rotation. There's also travel considerations.

As others have stated, the main motivation for the bye week, and staggering them rather than the entire league taking a week off, is all about money. But a contributing factor is that both players and coaches like having a week off in the middle of the season.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
What's bizarre about the bye weeks in the current scheme is that there are a few weeks in the middle when no teams have the week off.

In the 2023 season, four teams have byes in week 5 (go 'Hawks!), two in week 6, six in week 7, NONE IN WEEK 8, four in week 9, four in week 10, four in week 11, NONE IN WEEK 12, six in week 13, and two in week 14. That just strikes me as silly, and as an obvious additional way for the schedule makers to put their thumbs on the scale.

I think they oughta do something like having just three or four possible bye weeks clustered in the middle of the season. If it were three, I'd make them weeks 8, 9, and 10. If it were four, I'd make them weeks 8, 9, 10, and 11, so that to the extent it's skewed, it's skewed toward giving players a little more rest later in the season rather than earlier. They could also have different numbers of teams on byes in different weeks (that's how it is now) to balance that skew.
When the schedule expands to 18 games, the calendar will wreck what would probably be a good solution. If each team had two bye weeks in an 18-game season, it would be less difficult to distribute byes fairly. The problem with that is that they've already reduced the preseason to the point that people are wondering if teams aren't fully ready at the start of the regular season, and the Super Bowl is already pushing into the middle of February, so adding two more weeks to the regular season looks infeasible. Just adding the one for the 18th regular-season game will be hard, and because they're not going to want to add another bye week, I suspect there'll be more injuries.

Week 12 starts on Thanksgiving, so that might be a big week for people watching NFL games, but in both of the fairer bye-week schemes I suggested, every team has already had its bye by week 12. However, at least I can understand that there may be some business reason for having no byes that week. I really don't get having no byes in week 8, which ends just before Halloween (MNF is on the 30th).

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
There is also that teams playing in Europe have their bye week immediately afterwards.
I think that byes should be before thursday night games and after europe games -

but now that thursday night is all season - guess that's not really doable. And my idea doesn't help those who would have to play both thursday night and europe.

James in PA

Reaction score
Yep , staggered bye weeks mean no week without football, add a 17th game
Even better for the owners.
AND, weekly Thursday games now. So, no weeks with no football during the season, adding a 17th game, and no more than 2 days at any point without a game.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Player $afety!

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
AND, weekly Thursday games now. So, no weeks with no football during the season, adding a 17th game, and no more than 2 days at any point without a game.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Player $afety!
And you know - I'm sure they make NFL Goblet Sized Wheelbarrows full of cash from TNF.

But honestly I just don't care about TNF. Usually have shit to do during the week. Unless the hawks are on - and even then I hate night time games.

Didn't mind Sherm on it after he shook off the initial trying to hard weirdness last year - but that's about as useful as it got for me.