Bruce Irvin

the ditch

Reaction score
I find him a frustrating player to watch because when he shows those flashes he looks like an all pro but most of the time he's just lost or...disinterested I'm not sure but he also makes a lot of mistakes like hitting Rivers out of bounds.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the ditch":1jxaap02 said:
I find him a frustrating player to watch because when he shows those flashes he looks like an all pro but most of the time he's just lost or...disinterested I'm not sure but he also makes a lot of mistakes like hitting Rivers out of bounds.

Yep.

It's never been a question of Irvin's talent, it's his ability to be the consistently talented player we need him to be. Too many long stretches of the season where he's invisible.........or in this year's case actually hurting the team with stupid penalties.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sack totals are misleading, it's pressure on the opposing QB that is the real stat worth paying attention to for the most part.

The Irvin haters are going to hate regardless of what he does and will find any reason to justify their complaint that they don't think this player was worth the selection, is a bust , is stupid , they don't like him, etc..

Those two late sacks my be the early signs of a defensive turnaround. The team needs to be forcing the pocket more on the interior and when that happens the edge guys can go for it and bring the heat. The pass rush was significantly improved last weekend, if the progress continues the team will start to se the benefits of that pressure.

I suspect that Irvin will now see more time as a Leo than he has so far and that will pay off in pressure that makes a difference on the turnover differential. Each of our DEs needs more help from the interior DL though and if that happens suddenly the D will reassertion itself as the clear best D in the NFL.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
CANHawk":338g5uof said:
Bruce is a one trick pony. But since that one trick is murdering quarterbacks, I'm okay with it.

Winner^

Had he actually wrapped Romo up in that Dallas game we would likely be having a much different conversation about this kid. He has not been stellar every game, but name a Seattle Defensive Lineman not named Mebane (my opinion only!) who has. And he is still playing cheap compared to his constituents.

SirTed

Reaction score
I think the team moved Bruce to OLB last season because he was still developing (he still is now) AND ...

We were STACKED in the pass rushing department. This year? We've shown that we're not as deep, and it's the perfect opportunity to slide him back in at DE and be the athletic freak that he is.

He may never be an All-Pro, but let's give the dude props for finding a way on to the field at two very different positions. I think he's going to continue to get better and better.

irfuben32

Reaction score
SirTed":1kwpklmk said:
I think the team moved Bruce to OLB last season because he was still developing (he still is now) AND ...

We were STACKED in the pass rushing department. This year? We've shown that we're not as deep, and it's the perfect opportunity to slide him back in at DE and be the athletic freak that he is.

He may never be an All-Pro, but let's give the dude props for finding a way on to the field at two very different positions. I think he's going to continue to get better and better.

Plus you can switch things up and line him up at DE and then drop him into coverage

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Ive seen a few people saying Irvin "keeps having stupid penalties" or "always" or "multiple" penalties. When exactly did "all" these penalties occur? I can think of the Rivers penalty (which was completely stupid) but that's it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
FargoHawk":2opnqtqn said:
Am I missing something? Ive seen a few people saying Irvin "keeps having stupid penalties" or "always" or "multiple" penalties. When exactly did "all" these penalties occur? I can think of the Rivers penalty (which was completely stupid) but that's it.

Um...he had two encroachment penalties for lining up in the neutral zone against Carolina. Fixable, but dumb penalties. One of them came on third down and 3 when the defense stopped them.

chris98251

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mi215yk said:
FargoHawk":2mi215yk said:

Um...he had two encroachment penalties for lining up in the neutral zone against Carolina. Fixable, but dumb penalties. One of them came on third down and 3 when the defense stopped them.

Granted, but if you want to roast Irvin for that then you need a really really big ass pot, we have a whole O Line that needs to be put in there for jumping offsides several times.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":3djnnfn0 said:
rideaducati":3djnnfn0 said:
FargoHawk":3djnnfn0 said:

Granted, but if you want to roast Irvin for that then you need a really really big ass pot, we have a whole O Line that needs to be put in there for jumping offsides several times.

Bennett has jumped offside more than Irvin has. No one is starting Bennett threads. Bennett has hurt the team with his penalties as much as Irvin has. I think both have place on the team and happy they are Seahawks. Hopefully they will correct their mistakes moving forward.

the ditch

Reaction score
chris98251":t068ljz0 said:
rideaducati":t068ljz0 said:
FargoHawk":t068ljz0 said:

But we do so what's your point? This thread is about Irvin and he does take bone headed penalties you always wonder why some guys are incapable of putting it all together I think it's a fair criticism of Irvin.

Chawks1

Reaction score
chris98251":30gxdftv said:
rideaducati":30gxdftv said:
FargoHawk":30gxdftv said:

Good call, and a fan favorite Richard Sherman had 8 penalties against him last year, all turning into crucial first downs for the other team....by their logic we should have cut him last year.....I like Irvin's upside. Especially now that they are using him more to rush the passer, which is what he was drafted to do. He can cleanup the offsides penalties.

OP
OP
F

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1mqi9dss said:
chris98251":1mqi9dss said:
rideaducati":1mqi9dss said:
FargoHawk":1mqi9dss said:

Bennett has jumped offside more than Irvin has. No one is starting Bennett threads. Bennett has hurt the team with his penalties as much as Irvin has. I think both have place on the team and happy they are Seahawks. Hopefully they will correct their mistakes moving forward.
We can roast Bennett. Why didn't he finish that sack for the safety he had the announcers raving about cam being superman... Made me sick

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think getting on Irvin for one of those offside is bit much. When I watched the replay his hand was slightly past the line. If you watch line play this happens so often, kind of like holding sometimes you wonder why they called it. Technically offside but done all the time and not called.

hawk45

Reaction score
As a vocal critic of Irvin, he really got her done in that game.

A) 2 sacks in the critical last drive, a situation where without pressure our secondary has been known to give up long bombs and lose the game. Irvin basically won the game for us, or at least sealed it (and yeah okay I don't think Cam is capable of driving the field in that situation playing against air but that's neither here nor there)

B) Irvin actually completed the tackle on the QB. Twice. As much as I've ridden Irvin in the past, the fact that he finished the tackle made me wanna compose sonnets to the guy.

mrblitz

Reaction score
bruce wears the #51, which is like a combination of ichiro, lofa, and area 51. not easy to replace.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
mrblitz":3ma6i8t6 said:
bruce wears the #51, which is like a combination of ichiro, lofa, and area 51. not easy to replace.

Don't forget Butkus wore #51- pretty much puts it in a league of it's own right there.

chris98251

Reaction score
the ditch":1q2nim8l said:
chris98251":1q2nim8l said:
rideaducati":1q2nim8l said:
FargoHawk":1q2nim8l said:

But we do so what's your point? This thread is about Irvin and he does take bone headed penalties you always wonder why some guys are incapable of putting it all together I think it's a fair criticism of Irvin.

My Point is that he isn't the person that needs to be whipped around here by everyone that wants to swing a stick, MY POINT IS THAT THERE ARE OTHER PLAYERS THAT HAVE DONE MORE TO DESERVE THIS THEN IRVIN.

My point is that one of those players is now a NY Jet also.

If your going to beat on someone beat on the trainer for not keeping everyone else healthy, it holds about as much weight as dumping on Irvin for doing his job.

One illegal contact or Pass interference play costs us more than a neutral zone infraction most times.