OP
OP
F

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3gdu447m said:
Frohawk25360":3gdu447m said:
Year of The Hawk":3gdu447m said:
Bruce Irvin does more harm than good for this team. Potential does not count.
The two sacks didn't offset the two neutral zone infractions for you?

No. We don't need a player who can only show up in the last series of the game. Yeah two neutral zone infractions only this game. How many other times did he make critical penalties this season alone (anyone remember the San Diego game)? I am not saying he is garbage but IMHO he can be replaced in the off season for someone more consistent.

Besides do you think Carolina would have scored that last series if Irvin did't make those plays? Maybe but I doubt it.
I feel like the whole team ha struggled this year... Plus they have bruce starting as a linebacker which he is not I am personally happy to see him get after the qb from the end...seattles defense is great when we get after the qb which we haven't been able to do with only 4 guys this year so I guess anything is possible in a prevent situation Carolina very easily could've marched right down the field like we have seen so many times with our team...none the less I was very impressed with how bruce showed up at the end of the game

cdallan

Reaction score
Before her got those sacks I thought that Bruce looked like he was going to bring the pressure. Loved seeing him bouncing in his stance. He also got into the backfield from the backend of a run to clip a RB to the ground before he reached the LOS. ruce is an edge player - he can set the edge from SLB and he can rush the passer a bit (although I would love to see him develop a killer inside move). Don't undervalue those things - with Wags out and KJ out of sorts he is going to be important for us.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Laughing at you guys still hating on Irvin. He's young, dumb, and full of ....eagerness. He shut Cam down the last drive of the game and sealed the win.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Big props to Irvin today. I think the Seahawks would have stopped the Panthers regardless given how well our defense was playing in the second half, but it is still very nice to see us stop the Panthers this way with a couple of big sacks when we have been having trouble finishing all year.

Exittium":369mxlzq said:
Hey we're also not leading the league in penalties anymore.. NE and Pit both were tied for 1st lol
We're #3! We're #3!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":e2nz8j9u said:
Bruce Irvin does more harm than good for this team. Potential does not count.

That's just silly. We don't go to the SB last year without Bruce spying on Kaep in NFCCG on a couple key plays.

Largent80":e2nz8j9u said:
He just made 2 game closing plays and had good pressure all game long.
He ain't going anywhere.

^^ THIS

Swedishhawkfan":e2nz8j9u said:
Isn't bruce our perfect "anti mobile QB like Kaep and Newton" player? He seems to have the perfect combo of size and speed to do the spy blitz thing, and also if I remebered corectly he was the one who slowed down Kaep in the NFCCg right?

^^ And THIS

Love seeing Bruce bringing the pressure.
Remember, he's still very raw and learning as a football player. He is a hard worker, and he is only going to keep getting better.

Carroll and Co. are doing their best to put him in position to be successful, and as Bruce continues to learn and grow as a football player, we'll see more and more key plays from him, and fewer dumb ones.

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
While he had two encroachment penalties that I recall, he redeemed himself on the last defensive series with two nice sacks.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I was just happy to see us generate any type of pressure. Hopefully we can keep it up next week.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
We need a pass rush and an extra guy for offensive lines to worry about. He is much more valuable as a pass rusher and I would think he will be doing a lot more of that moving forward. He is just too damned fast not to rush the quarterback in obvious passing downs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
There is no "redemption" for his two boneheaded plays. Lining up in the neutral zone is inexcusable, just like any other procedure penalty. The last series doesn't give him a pass for those.

But apart from that, he mostly played a pretty good game, and that last defensive series was out-freakin-standing.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
To say Irvin was getting consistent pressure all game would be false... Mainly because he was spying Cam A LOT. When he did line up at DE, the results were mixed... he did come alive at the end. But overall, he is still too hot and cold for me... long term I think we need to see a lot more. But, yes, I commend him for the 2 sacks, I do hope long term he comes alive and is successful.

nsport

Reaction score
I'm all about balance. I contend that #51 would not have had the opportunities he had without the outstanding play of our DB's in this game. Having Burley start to contribute and having Simon back were both such heavily contributing factors. It simply means that the QB must now progress through his reads which leads to having the luxury of getting by blockers with time to affect the pocket. Once Lane comes back we will be as good as last year's SB team on defense. Great to see the DL get some action yesterday and especially happy for Irvin who has continued to grow as a player.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seaswab":2pvh6ual said:
He will disappear for the next few weeks now.

Actually, since they moved him to DE following the bye, he's been good in every game. He's been providing pressure as a pass rusher on a fairly consistent basis.

RCATES

Reaction score
Irvin is a DE plain and simple. His strength is a speed rusher on the outside. The only reason he has declined this year is because of DQ trying to convert him to LB. I'm surprised it has taken us this long to realize this with how bad our pass rush has been this year. Line him up at DE or as a blitzing OLB on 2nd and 3rd down passing situations and more sacks will come.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I liked what I saw, even before the last 2 sacks. Granted, he has some bone-headed penalties, I think he is producing some pressure for us.

Hawks46

Reaction score
As usual, people see sack numbers and make their assumptions from there.

Irvin has been towards the tops in the league in pressures per rush. He consistently makes QBs move off of their spot, which really helps the secondary out. I also saw two bull rushes where Irvin moved his guy back into Cam's lap and I believe one of those was Mebane's sack. And I only watched part of the second half.

Add this to the roughly half a dozen obvious holding calls he should have drawn, and he's playing well and improving. He is setting the edge against the run, and when the defense shifts over to the run side of the play, he's pretty much unblockable with a TE. I'd like to see him clean up his game, but that can be said of a lot of guys right now on our team.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Bruce is a one trick pony. But since that one trick is murdering quarterbacks, I'm okay with it.

Hopefully DQ stops the stupid Bruce at LB experiment and starts using him as the paid assassin he was meant to be.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Just let the man rush the passer. He is not a becoming the best player he can be at linebacker.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I thought:

Finally an offensive line that sucked as much as ours.