Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3cyhku6l said:
This is all I want to say on the subject, because Bevell isn't a Seahawk anymore, but when discussing his metrics of success with the team, you cannot ignore the transcendent, Hall of Fame play of Marshawn Lynch.

Lynch was not known for bursting through well-designed running lanes. Lynch was known for breaking tackles and carrying defenders on his back. He was hit in the backfield or swallowed at the line about as much as our backs now. The difference was that Lynch could play through it, which kept drives alive, which made Bevell look better on paper AND on the field. But it was Lynch doing all the work. And when it wasn't Lynch, it was Wilson making himself famous for improvising--that is, going off script. When actors improvise, you don't award the script writer.

Returning to the topic at hand: While Schottenheimer isn't a media darling, I'm actually getting really excited to see what an outside perspective can bring to this offense, and to see Wilson's next chapter.

In academia, students are discouraged from pursuing advanced degrees at the same college they just graduated from, because its understood that people benefit from fresh perspectives, and studying under different people. That said, I'm excited to see how Wilson improves or changes under a new QB coach and Coordinator. Particularly one who it sounds like may be a little harder on him.

You make some very fair points. But we far overrate Lynch's role here. Media pundits (like Deion Sanders, Stephen A, etc.) do the same thing. They talk about beast mode carrying us without doing the homework

2010 Seahawks Rushing Ranking : 31st
2011 Seahawks Rushing Ranking : 21st
2012 Seahawks Rushing Ranking : 3rd (Lynch career year in rushing)
2013 Seahawks Rushing Ranking : 4th
2014 Seahawks Rushing Ranking : 1st (Lynch career year in rushing TDS)

Man oh man. :shock: . It's almost as if, something spectacular happened in 2012. Was it a new coach? Coordinator? O-line? Man...it's almost as if we drafted some guy who gave defenses nightmares, converted third downs, and added 400-800 yards of rushing yards per year during that time span, opening things up for Lynch. Amazing :snack:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3pju8n1i said:
WindCityHawk":3pju8n1i said:
This is all I want to say on the subject, because Bevell isn't a Seahawk anymore, but when discussing his metrics of success with the team, you cannot ignore the transcendent, Hall of Fame play of Marshawn Lynch.

Lynch was not known for bursting through well-designed running lanes. Lynch was known for breaking tackles and carrying defenders on his back. He was hit in the backfield or swallowed at the line about as much as our backs now. The difference was that Lynch could play through it, which kept drives alive, which made Bevell look better on paper AND on the field. But it was Lynch doing all the work. And when it wasn't Lynch, it was Wilson making himself famous for improvising--that is, going off script. When actors improvise, you don't award the script writer.

Returning to the topic at hand: While Schottenheimer isn't a media darling, I'm actually getting really excited to see what an outside perspective can bring to this offense, and to see Wilson's next chapter.

In academia, students are discouraged from pursuing advanced degrees at the same college they just graduated from, because its understood that people benefit from fresh perspectives, and studying under different people. That said, I'm excited to see how Wilson improves or changes under a new QB coach and Coordinator. Particularly one who it sounds like may be a little harder on him.

You make some very fair points. But we far overrate Lynch's role here. Media pundits (like Deion Sanders, Stephen A, etc.) do the same thing. They talk about beast mode carrying us without doing the homework

Man oh man. :shock: . It's almost as if, something spectacular happened in 2012. Was it a new coach? Coordinator? O-line? Man...it's almost as if we drafted some guy who gave defenses nightmares, converted third downs, and added 400-800 yards of rushing yards per year during that time span, opening things up for Lynch. Amazing :snack:
J.R. Sweezy?

Seymour

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1vcy5p6q said:
WindCityHawk":1vcy5p6q said:

Yes....quite a mystery. :roll:

russell-wilson-runs.jpg

OP
OP
WindCityHawk

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Did I miss something? Who's arguing that Wilson didn't make Bevell look better? And how is this thread about Bevell again?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3c070cf0 said:
scutterhawk":3c070cf0 said:
In all fairness, back when we had better O-Line production, there were a lot of very well called games where Bevell's "Script's" were followed to a 'T'.
It's the last couple of years where he got way too predictable that got him sent packing, and too, Bevell was hamstrung with Cables O-Line misfits.
Some would have us believe that it was the Defense, along with Wilson & Lynch that got us all the Wins, and that it was the the Offense, (minus Wilson & Lynch) that got us all those losses....That simply isn't the truth.
There are also a lot of Seahawks fans playing revisionist historian. Lynch and Wilson combining to be amazing in the face of adversity doesn't mean that the game was a well-called one, despite a successful ultimate outcome. :roll:

And in 2015 Wilson went on a tear with Doug Baldwin, and > WITHOUT < the assistance of Marshawn Lynch, they got us enough wins to make it into the playoffs.
Devil his dues >There were many successful plays designed by Darryl Bevell.
Defense wasn't able to get us past the Panthers.
Schottenheimer is being written off BEFORE he ever calls a single play for the Seahawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People like writing someone off because it's not the guy that THEY wanted. Actually kind of entertaining.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1368ekah said:
Did I miss something? Who's arguing that Wilson didn't make Bevell look better? And how is this thread about Bevell again?

I wasn't at all saying you were saying something different. I was just having fun with it in general. My point was that I still think people over state how much Lynch "carried" us. Lynch and Wilson were like the Justice League, they needed each other to defeat the ultimate enemy. I think it was 50-50 but that's just me

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They have always won as a team. They didn't just win a super because of the D, or because of Lynch, or because of Russ.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1k6qm921 said:
When actors improvise, you don't award the script writer.
Only when you are handing our awards. If you are handing out blame, don't be surprised when the script writer wears it.

For all that Wilson does brilliantly off-script, he also does some serious brain-explosion drive-killing stuff that eventually comes back on the OC. But if you rein in the bad improv you also kill the good improv. Catch-22.

That's where fans need to grant a bit of leeway, because we don't always know what was scripted and what was ad-lib. We can see that the OL was a complete disaster, and we can see that as a result of immediate pressure Wilson had to react. Whether he stayed on script or not we don't know, except that we can clearly see when he goes WAY off script.

In the end Bevell has the accountability for all of it, if not necessarily all of the responsibility. Had Cable's line not sucked, maybe Bevell looks a hell of a lot better. We won't know.

By the same token, we can't look at Schottenheimer's past and say it's all his fault. Give him some actual tools and maybe he does a lot better. We'll see.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Much of his incredible plays are because he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off. That flat out IS because of the pathetic O Line. It's not his fault nobody blocks for him over half the time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dvkx314 said:
Much of his incredible plays are because he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off. That flat out IS because of the pathetic O Line. It's not his fault nobody blocks for him over half the time.

Well, maybe if he'd work a little harder at fixing his "Mechanics", he wouldn't get hit, sacked or hurried so much :34853_tinfoil: LOLOLOLOL

Latest posts