Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3d3i4t3h said:
chris98251":3d3i4t3h said:
Well if it's more then Bubble screen right then two deep passes as the end of the last season was then it has to be better.

I do think Schotty will have his best season under us. Whether it's the best this offense could be with Wilson, Doug, and a running game? I don't know, I sure hope so

Schotty is only in his 40s. I hope he's had a revelation of sorts. Would love to see a screen play actually work lol. Saw Wilson make a lot of check downs to Kamara and Ingram today and thought "Man, that'd be nice"
I sure hope so. If his last gig is any preview of what we're in for than I fear for our season. He was awful at UGA, and his "expertise" with the QBs there was laughable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
original poster":1hj3wuj4 said:
It warrants its own post IMO :2thumbs:

It’s a very interesting take, if Bev couldn’t get in Russ’s face and shout at him every now and then it explains a lot.

Accountability could be exactly what these guys need. I was in the minority that liked the hire initially and I stand by that.

I couldn't agree more OP ^^^; Just too many folks taking limited information, and then jumping to NEGATIVE conclusions.
There was just too much disrespectful crap talk about Pete Carroll hiring a "Yes Man" TEN PAGES OF IT.

It became obvious... well...(to me anyway), that, with the shit-show that he had dialed up for Wilson, while simultaneously trying to incorporate Cables failing Offensive line, that Bevell had pretty much exhausted both his playbook, & welcome with the Seahawks, and it was time for him to hit the skids.
Brian Schottenheimer might be the perfect re-fitting for Wilson, as he'd pretty much helped Drew Breese become a much improved QB.
I love the idea of this "Accountability" gig. :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3v589xqk said:
Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.
This is the same "Negativity" crap that had permeated the 10 page snivelfest.
I was hoping that, that shit would have STAYED in there.
Sorry MODS , if this sounds inappropriate, please blank it out.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ss4o6y8 said:
original poster":2ss4o6y8 said:

It’s a very interesting take, if Bev couldn’t get in Russ’s face and shout at him every now and then it explains a lot.

Accountability could be exactly what these guys need. I was in the minority that liked the hire initially and I stand by that.

I couldn't agree more OP ^^^; Just too many folks taking limited information, and then jumping to NEGATIVE conclusions.
There was just too much disrespectful crap talk about Pete Carroll hiring a "Yes Man" TEN PAGES OF IT.

It became obvious... well...(to me anyway), that, with the shit-show that he had dialed up for Wilson, while simultaneously trying to incorporate Cables failing Offensive line, that Bevell had pretty much exhausted both his playbook, & welcome with the Seahawks, and it was time for him to hit the skids.
Brian Schottenheimer might be the perfect re-fitting for Wilson, as he'd pretty much helped Drew Breese become a much improved QB.
I think you're giving our dolt of an offensive coordinator too much credit. Words like accountability or sheriff are nice, until our team finds out this guy doesn't have an ounce of credibility to his name. He is a failure of a coordinator that has been retreaded three times, now onto his fourth rodeo. I think we can expect more of the same under Schottenheimer, the face of NFL nepotism. He has a job as coordinator based solely on his daddy's reputation. Pete hired a yes man.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":20geirsx said:
scutterhawk":20geirsx said:
original poster":20geirsx said:

I think you're giving our dolt of an offensive coordinator too much credit. Words like accountability or sheriff are nice, until our team finds out this guy doesn't have an ounce of credibility to his name. He is a failure of a coordinator that has been retreaded three times, now onto his fourth rodeo. I think we can expect more of the same under Schottenheimer, the face of NFL nepotism. He has a job as coordinator based solely on his daddy's reputation. Pete hired a yes man.
BUllShIt ^.......No, let me rephrase that, it's...... PURE BUllShIt......Er let me re-rephrase that, it's Regurgitated PURE BUllShIt.

RussB

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":ns96wckh said:
RussB":ns96wckh said:
Maelstrom787":ns96wckh said:
RussB":ns96wckh said:
Could have had todd haley............

If Todd Haley is so good, how come he gets run out of every position he has?
He did a fantastic job with the steelers offense. Then got fired as the scapegoat to why they lost, when the steelers defense gave up like 40 points.

Stop. He got fired for getting cute on 4th and 1 not once but TWICE in crucial situations.
Hes still a great coordinator and no doubt better than shottenheimer. Just because he made some questionable calls in a crucial playoff game doesnt change that. The steelers offense was deadly and he was the OC, hes a great playcaller.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":z9bkqbim said:
Spin Doctor":z9bkqbim said:
scutterhawk":z9bkqbim said:
original poster":z9bkqbim said:

BUllShIt ^.......No, let me rephrase that, it's...... PURE BUllShIt......Er let me re-rephrase that, it's Regurgitated PURE BUllShIt.
Great, could you please provide some facts to back up you assertions rather than childish insults? What about anything that I said there was BS? It is undeniable fact that Schottenheimer was fired from three jobs. It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left. There is a body of undeniable evidence that is against Schottenheimer's body of work as an offensive coordinator. I get that you're looking at this with Seahawk colored glasses, but if you take off those glasses and looked at things objectively you would see that his career is marked with failure.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":hcw8zu0t said:
scutterhawk":hcw8zu0t said:
Spin Doctor":hcw8zu0t said:
scutterhawk":hcw8zu0t said:

Great, could you please provide some facts to back up you assertions rather than childish insults? What about anything that I said there was BS? It is undeniable fact that Schottenheimer was fired from three jobs. It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left. There is a body of undeniable evidence that is against Schottenheimer's body of work as an offensive coordinator. I get that you're looking at this with Seahawk colored glasses, but if you take off those glasses and looked at things objectively you would see that his career is marked with failure.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.
That's EASY, Schottenheimer has YET TO CALL ONE DAMNED PLAY for the Seahawks....You want to quit?, go ahead and QUIT.
Pete has PROVEN that he can dial up a Super Bowl WIN with Bevell & Cable calling Offense, so his Moxie takes PRESCIDENCE over your assumptive & negative opinion....Sorry, but you did ask :stirthepot:
PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The most overrated part of being an offensive coordinator is the play calling on Sunday.

So much of the day to day work is totally neglected. The players had stopped listening to DB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":14pufgxd said:
Well this escalated quickly :shock: :)
I couldn't agree more Scorpion05, they had their way with 10 pages of crybabying over the hiring of Brian Schottenheimer......Enough is enough, eh?
They're not happy unless their drowning out all the positives in this move by Pete Carroll...After awhile it's beyond RIDICULES.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Yea I mean, I agree that Schotty is classic nepotism, that he has struggled everywhere else. And if our QB was Case Keenum or our coach had not been in the playoffs virtually every season since he's been here, I'd be even more skeptical?

But for now, I'm just gonna hope for the best. Hope that yes indeed, Schotty actually taps into something special with the best QB he's ever had to work with as an O-coordinator. At worst, I know Russell will never be mediocre. I think the dream of most fans is to see Russell reach his full potential, while still in his prime

Seahawks culture thrives on comeback stories, so here's cheers to that I suppose

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3sk0cw5o said:
The most overrated part of being an offensive coordinator is the play calling on Sunday.

So much of the day to day work is totally neglected. The players had stopped listening to DB.
To be fair though, it wasn't because "The Players Quit Listening" to Darryl Bevell, it was because there were a lot of plays that had to be shit-canned, as there was no feasibility in many of those called plays working as designed, as Cables O-Line could not carry out the basics in blocking for them.
Hopefully Solari can turn things around with the O-Line, and they become better at blocking than the Cable Coached misfits.......It's a "Teamwork Thingy" :smilingalien:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3a87beqg said:
HawkNuts":3a87beqg said:

To be fair though, it wasn't because "The Players Quit Listening" to Darryl Bevell, it was because there were a lot of plays that had to be shit-canned, as there was no feasibility in many of those called plays working as designed, as Cables O-Line could not carry out the basics in blocking for them.
Hopefully Solari can turn things around with the O-Line, and they become better at blocking than the Cable Coached misfits.......It's a "Teamwork Thingy" :smilingalien:
Or DB and TC were piss poor at their jobs.....

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see a new play caller this season.

Even if the people with a negative opinion on him are right about everything, which is very questionable given his previous circumstances, just give the guy a freaking chance. Some people get better over time. He has been a great QB coach and has a really nice sense of how to use the run game to support the pass.

There was a destructive tug of war of egos going on between the former OC and run game coordinator (whose names will not be mentioned by me going forward), which led to things like the near total abandonment of the run game, virtual elimination of fullback, failure to replenish numerous blockers, etc. Just so happy for a fresh start.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3s1rcrt5 said:
Spin Doctor":3s1rcrt5 said:
scutterhawk":3s1rcrt5 said:
Spin Doctor":3s1rcrt5 said:

That's EASY, Schottenheimer has YET TO CALL ONE DAMNED PLAY for the Seahawks....You want to quit?, go ahead and QUIT.
Pete has PROVEN that he can dial up a Super Bowl WIN with Bevell & Cable calling Offense, so his Moxie takes PRESCIDENCE over your assumptive & negative opinion....Sorry, but you did ask :stirthepot:
PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.[/quote]
PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.[/quote]
So, essentially you're telling me that you are a lemming that is blinded by the colors green and blue. Once on this board we had a saying that went like this "in Rusk we trust!" Tell me how that went? In case you weren't around then, Tim Ruskell helped bring us to a Super Bowl, and then proceeded to completely dismantle the team through bad drafts, coaching decisions i.e Jim Mora Jr, and questionable decisions in free agency (Hutchinson poison pill, etc).

Pete Carroll is obviously not Tim Ruskell, he made it much farther, and much higher than Ruskell ever did, however I do find one thing concerning. Since 2015 our team has been trending downward, much like the Ruskell teams after 2005 did. Like those teams we have not drafted especially well since the vaunted 2012 draft. We have exchanged first round draft picks for high profile talents that didn't especially have chemistry with our QB or fit our scheme (Deion Branch). We have also hired coaches based off of nepotism, not on past merits. Jim Mora, and Greg Knapp are good examples of this. I'm seeing some disturbing parallels between the waning years of Ruskell, and Holmgren to Pete Carroll's current way of conducting his operations.

What I'm saying is this: Pete Carroll has proven time and time again that he can be prone to mistakes. His word, and decision making is not so resolute that it should remain unquestioned, especially on matters that involve the offense.

Our offense has struggled in the same areas for years, and after not making the playoffs has the man decided to question it. After many years of adhering to Cableism, many years of trotting out offenses that are in limp mode until the end of the half, and fourth quarter, Carroll is just now admiring that the staff may have been a problem. Moreover, that same offensive mind, Darrell Bevell also cost him a second Super Bowl win. Objectively that was a bad play design, and this just isn't hindsight bias. Our players were set up to fail if you observe the match-ups.

In the end our offense relied on Russell Wilson's backyard antics, and a running back that was historically good after first contact to mask our offensive deficiencies. We won the Super Bowl with a team that had a historically good defensive unit, a team that is being talked about in the same breath as the 1985 Bears. A secondary that will be in history books with historically good units such as the purple people eaters. A defense that led the league in turnovers, and held the spot as best defense five years running.

We are not that team anymore. That team had multiple hall of famers, and young talent that was hungry, and stars such as Sherman, and Wilson were not even receiving 1 million a year in annual salary. Our team is now much older, injured more often, our stars have big salaries, and big egos are running unchecked. Thomas is actively courting other teams, Kam, and Avril will most likely never play another snap, and player like Bennett are starting to show their wear. Our star cornerback just had an achillies tear and may never be quite the same again. The legion of boom is dead, the same approach that won us that Super Bowl will not work again. The slack has to be picked up by the offense. No longer will treading water until the fourth quarter win us games. That is why this hiring of Brian Schottenheimer is so confusing.

We didn't even interview or inquire about other offensive coordinators as far as we know. We're banking our season on a retread that has been re-treaded three times prior, and has shown a history of being inept. Nothing about Schottenheimers track record says he is going to do anything different than he did other places. His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him. Another Darrell Bevell will not get us to another Super Bowl under Pete Carroll. Hoping an old dog will suddenly pick up a bunch of new tricks, and finally have a revolution after a decade mired in failure is wishful thinking.

If Schottenheimer showed me just a single glimpse of success, I would be willing to be more optimistic. I really tried to see an angle that this hire made sense. I could not see it. The dude has been putrid in the NFL, and he has been putrid in college as well. He belongs as a positional coach, he has no place as offensive coordinator in the NFL. I don't know many people that get as many chances as this guy has, yet have been as bad as him. Here is praying that the fourth times a charm. Carroll is rewarding failure with a pay raise, and promotion.

I have seen enough of Brian Schottenheimer in my life time not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1odq4oz4 said:
His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

You think the Rams, circa 2012–2014, "he had all the tools to succeed." You must be joking. They had one of the least talented offenses in the league. Sam Bradford was constantly hurt. Most of the time, they were rolling with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB. Not to mention the Rams had the worst offensive line in the NFL and probably the worst receiving corps, as well. They tried to draft Greg Robinson to improve their line, and he turned out to be a bum. No Todd Gurley. No Jared Goff. No Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins. Probably less offensive talent than any other team in the NFL during that time period.