Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2018":xpccfx48 said:
Spin Doctor":xpccfx48 said:
His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

You think the Rams, circa 2012–2014, "he had all the tools to succeed." You must be joking. They had one of the least talented offenses in the league. Sam Bradford was constantly hurt. Most of the time, they were rolling with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB. Not to mention the Rams had the worst offensive line in the NFL and probably the worst receiving corps, as well. They tried to draft Greg Robinson to improve their line, and he turned out to be a bum. No Todd Gurley. No Jared Goff. No Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins. Probably less offensive talent than any other team in the NFL during that time period.

And they had THE WORST Head Coach in the NFL.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":kf23ds32 said:
hawknation2018":kf23ds32 said:
Spin Doctor":kf23ds32 said:
His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

You think the Rams, circa 2012–2014, "he had all the tools to succeed." You must be joking. They had one of the least talented offenses in the league. Sam Bradford was constantly hurt. Most of the time, they were rolling with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB. Not to mention the Rams had the worst offensive line in the NFL and probably the worst receiving corps, as well. They tried to draft Greg Robinson to improve their line, and he turned out to be a bum. No Todd Gurley. No Jared Goff. No Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins. Probably less offensive talent than any other team in the NFL during that time period.

And they had THE WORST Head Coach in the NFL.

Yup. Fisher was a huge burden to the team that employed him, not Brian Schottenheimer.

getnasty

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3i94nwt7 said:
getnasty":3i94nwt7 said:
Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.
This is the same "Negativity" crap that had permeated the 10 page snivelfest.
I was hoping that, that shit would have STAYED in there.
Sorry MODS , if this sounds inappropriate, please blank it out.

Sorry, BS is exactly the kind of OC we need here. The thing I like the most about this hire is we don't need a guy that is great with x's and o's we just need a guy that will let people have it when they screw up. No bubble screen and hold people accountable=Superbowl

We should rename this to topic "BS positivity only"
I'm sure we will surpass 10 pages in no time.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":315yujni said:
It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left.

This is another red herring (and arguable falsehood). Georgia lost their star running back, Nick Chubb, to a knee injury midway through the 2015 season. In addition, they had a first-year starting QB in 2015, a transfer from Virginia named Greyson Lambert. In 2016, Lambert lost his starting job to a true freshman QB. Georgia's points per game actually declined slightly to 24.5 in 2016, so to say their offense "improved dramatically after he left" is quite misleading. In reality, Georgia's offense got worse the year after Brian Schottenheimer left and didn't actually improve until this past season.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
getnasty":1h9hqpov said:
scutterhawk":1h9hqpov said:
getnasty":1h9hqpov said:
Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.

Sorry, BS is exactly the kind of OC we need here. The thing I like the most about this hire is we don't need a guy that is great with x's and o's we just need a guy that will let people have it when they screw up. No bubble screen and hold people accountable=Superbowl

I think he needs a better nickname than "BS," LOL. Schotty also sounds too similar to "shoddy" or "snotty."

Perhaps "Brian" will do. :2thumbs:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1ujgvu2a said:
getnasty":1ujgvu2a said:
scutterhawk":1ujgvu2a said:
getnasty":1ujgvu2a said:

I think he needs a better nickname than "BS," LOL. Schotty also sounds too similar to "shoddy" or "snotty."

How about Hammer

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":22mtxye3 said:
hawknation2018":22mtxye3 said:
getnasty":22mtxye3 said:
scutterhawk":22mtxye3 said:

How about Hammer

Not bad. :2thumbs:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TreeRon":5l5t4w6a said:
And Ben Rothlesburger is more important to the Steelers than Todd Haley.

This is the real reason Haley was fired. He and Ben never got along. Other than that their offense was in the top ten the last 3 or 4 years.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You guys are crazy if you believe we don’t need to improve x’s and o’s! How have you forgotten the plays with slow developing routes all down field and no check downs? For the past five seasons retired players on the NFL network have said our play designs are too predictable and too easy to read. The offense must change! If play design is not drastically improved we are in even worse trouble. Sticking with Pete’s ultra conservative approach will bury the Hawks. We should all pray that our new OC is willing to game plan and strategize and even get in Pete’s face when nessisary.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
brimsalabim":33kskv9b said:
You guys are crazy if you believe we don’t need to improve x’s and o’s! How have you forgotten the plays with slow developing routes all down field and no check downs? For the past five seasons retired players on the NFL network have said our play designs are too predictable and too easy to read. The offense must change! If play design is not drastically improved we are in even worse trouble. Sticking with Pete’s ultra conservative approach will bury the Hawks. We should all pray that our new OC is willing to game plan and strategize and even get in Pete’s face when nessisary.
They improved the X’s and O’s When they fired Bevell, and he took his bubble screens, and 3rd and 20 draw plays with him. 8)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":294fsznl said:
We needed a change, it happened. Let's see how it goes.

I dont agree with Soulfish very often, but this. The Hawks should be the best talent he's ever worked with, so lets see what he has to offer (cant be worse than Bevell). I'm not even expecting much next season, but after that its no hands barred. If we dont produce by then, its time to look at the head coach.

Chapow

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1t6tbhz9 said:
Saw Wilson make a lot of check downs to Kamara and Ingram today and thought "Man, that'd be nice"

Yep. Brady checks down to Lewis, White, and Burkhead all the time. Brees to Ingram and Kamara all the time. Roethlisberger to Le'veon Bell all the time.

Every time I watch these teams, I'm like, how the hell are these guys open for the check down seemingly every single time? Those plays are such a big part of those offenses, why can't anyone stop them?

I would absolutely love to see the Seahawks be able to do it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
+1, it's maddening to see so many teams check down and do quick screens to the RB's. No reason this team can't do that. In fact, with a swiss cheese o-line, check downs would be huge for this team imo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":ach2vapg said:
getnasty":ach2vapg said:
scutterhawk":ach2vapg said:
getnasty":ach2vapg said:

LOL Or maybe Double Schotts. :smilingalien:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ogi4mo9 said:
Great, could you please provide some facts to back up you assertions rather than childish insults? What about anything that I said there was BS? It is undeniable fact that Schottenheimer was fired from three jobs. It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left. There is a body of undeniable evidence that is against Schottenheimer's body of work as an offensive coordinator. I get that you're looking at this with Seahawk colored glasses, but if you take off those glasses and looked at things objectively you would see that his career is marked with failure.

Have you ever heard of Non Sequiter? It's a debate tactic that employs false logic in the form of presenting evidence that, while it looks quite relevant, really doesn't support the argument.

It's Latin for "doesn't follow". As in if a coach is fired several times from NFL jobs, it doesn't necessarily follow that he will fail if given another opportunity. See, for example, Pete Carroll, who was fired from his previous head coaching gigs and was generally thought to be one of those guys who could coach college but not the pros.

Have you heard of Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc? It means "After this, therefore because of this". It is another logical fallacy in which the because two things happened, the second must be a result of the first. As in "Schottenheimer was hired as OC in Miami", "Miami didn't have a potent offense" therefore Schottenheimer as OC caused the anemic offense. It is fallacious because it dismisses other factors such as poor personnel, for example. Schottenheimer was fired because he bore the ultimate responsibility and accountability for the offense - regardless of personnel, injury, or circumstance.

So while screaming about evidence and facts, the real fact is you, nor I, have any idea how Schottenheimer will perform under the tutelage of Pete Carroll, and with the resources at hand like Russell Wilson and the rest of our offensive tools.

You can call your circumstantial and anecdotal points "undeniable evidence" all day long and demand proof from others, but I suggest you have yet to offer any concrete proof yourself other than some false logic you are representing as truth.

None of us will have any evidence, undeniable or otherwise, until we see how Schottenheimer performs in the Seahawks culture, with the Seahawks players, front office, coaches, etc., and that is about the only thing we know for certain.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Perhaps an easier way to understand it is to use the post-it note example.

The adhesive was developed as a permanent adhesive to cement two things together, but it failed spectacularly in that context.

However, in the context of making a temporary adhesive to stick a piece of paper to something without leaving residue, it was a massive success that redefined office notes.

Sometimes things simply have the wrong properties for the context they are in but that should not be used to rule them out of a different context. Schottenheimer would not have been hired if he did not display attributes that Carroll wanted. We can only hope those attributes cause him to be more successful in our context than in his previous jobs.