Bevell was better, still it pains me

plyka

Reaction score
What difference did we see this week? Well, the long bomb was only used strategically, not on every 3rd down and 3 play. Good Bevell, good.

There were tons of intermediate and short routes. Good again Bevell. But my question is, why can't you make these changes when it is OBVIOUS that the long bomb is not working? Like last week, why not make in game adjustmejnts?

Bevell saw what 75% of this board saw over the week. The team against Arizona was too stuck on run or long bomb. There was no situational awareness, as on 3rd and 2 they would call plays where 3 WRs would run go routes and Wilson would throw a 50 yard bomb. This game there was much better awareness. On 3rd and 5, they would throw high percentage plays. Good Bevell, now try to see your weakness in game, or even BEFORE THE GAME.

What I thought Bevell did right this game:

1) More diversity on offense. There were bubble screens, there were RBs getting passes, there were short routes like hooks, ins, slants, especially when the defense was attempting to play for the long route.

2) Plays to take advantage of soft man coverage. They had short crosses, they stacked WRs and ran slants, they had STOPS after the DB would turn their hips for the long ball. They had a much better game plan to take advantage of the ENTIRE FIELD. Yes, they even used the middle of the field.

3) They stuck with the running game. The Rams were damn good today at stopping the run I thought. But Seattle kept with it. Seattle's best drives came when they were dominant in the run, and then mixed in the pass. Good stuff. On 1 2nd and short, they ran it --they were denied --on 3rd they did something incredibly surprising: THEY RAN IT AGAIN! Good stuff.

Somethings they need to work on?

1) Be less predictable. That play action naked roll for short goal line situations is not working. On 3rd down, RUN MORE! Almost everyone knows that a pass is coming on 3rd, unless it is 3rd and short. And for god's sake, even if you pass on 3rd, please do not come out with zero back sets on third and short - middle. At least do a play action pass.

2) They need even more on offense. The offense is still too vanilla. They were better this week, but still not good enough. They need to start moving the pocket on purpose, instead of having Wilson just scramble. Move the pocket to the right, move it to the left. They need more of the pick routes they ran. Stack the WRs more. Run more complex routes, like they did a few times today. A lot of misdirection, with playaction going one way and Wilson scrambling the other way. They need more.

This was a great win. The defense is the best I've seen in at least 5 years in the NFL. The offense needs MORE complexity and surprise. Still, I'll take an improvement.

chris98251

Reaction score
The added tackles on short and goal only to roll out was a wasted effort, Sometimes you have to tell your guys beat those guys in front of you and execute it straight up, that’s Lynch’s strength not running parallel to the line. When we did it that worked wonderfully.

But agreed we used more variations today, we kept pounding the ball and things began to open up, thats how we played when were actually scoring well on offense then took our shots.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm still hoping to see the guy that called plays in the New Orleans game. I leave it at that.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
Still thought the play calling was lack luster. 3rd down conversion ratio was terrible.

I am not comfortable with this offense at all yet. The game was won today because of the D playing killer football (again) and with the Rams shooting themselves in the foot with their ridiculous personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties.

Tate played balls out though!!!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I felt the offense improved as the game wore on, especially the running game. Let's hope that carries over to the next 3 games. Suppose some of it was Bevell but to me more of it was better play from the o-line, particularly in the 2nd half.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think McQuistan at left guard made a hell of a difference too. He cracked me up when a Rams DT tackled Lynch on the ground and Paul stuck out his hand to help him up, only to retract it at the last second :p

ivotuk

Reaction score
7 first downs running the ball!

I feel like the Count should be counting them out "One! One first down by running the ball! Two! Two first downs by running the ball! Three!...."

By the way, if Bev gets hired away as a HC, Rob Chudzinski got fired today and has a great history in the NFL as an OC. He had Cam Newton in his rookie year and really helped him out.

"In his first season as Carolina's offensive coordinator in 2011, Rob Chudzinski directed an offensive turnaround as the Panthers set team records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345) one year after experiencing franchise lows in both categories. Their 48 touchdowns scored were the second most in team history, also one year after recording a franchise low. The Panthers jumped from last in total yards to seventh in the league - the biggest improvement in offensive ranking since St. Louis improved 26 spots from 27th in 1998 to first in 1999."

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/rob-chudzinski/4256904b-b890-4f70-b6a3-b745cece0685

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":1bv6c9zt said:
7 first downs running the ball!

I feel like the Count should be counting them out "One! One first down by running the ball! Two! Two first downs by running the ball! Three!...."

By the way, if Bev gets hired away as a HC, Rob Chudzinski got fired today and has a great history in the NFL as an OC. He had Cam Newton in his rookie year and really helped him out.

"In his first season as Carolina's offensive coordinator in 2011, Rob Chudzinski directed an offensive turnaround as the Panthers set team records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345) one year after experiencing franchise lows in both categories. Their 48 touchdowns scored were the second most in team history, also one year after recording a franchise low. The Panthers jumped from last in total yards to seventh in the league - the biggest improvement in offensive ranking since St. Louis improved 26 spots from 27th in 1998 to first in 1999."

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/rob-chudzinski/4256904b-b890-4f70-b6a3-b745cece0685

One problem, as long as were playing football nobody can hire Bevell, saying that teams are already firing coaches and will want to replace them as quickly as they can with the best candidates. Last year we had coaches going for interviews during preperation weeks. I know Pete supports his assistants upward growth, but I also see it as a distraction since a person selected has to now also prepare for an interview as awell as a game.

seabowl

Reaction score
Would anyone be surprised to see him as the HC of the Vikings?

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
The Seahawks should do what's best for Bevell and fire him now so he can find a HC job...or fire him because he sucks...either way just fire the guy.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
plyka":7kgntmwe said:
The Seahawks should do what's best for Bevell and fire him now so he can find a HC job...or fire him because he sucks...either way just fire the guy.

This attitude perplexes me so.

The guy in charge of a revolving offensive line, major injuries at WR and TE who leads a rookie QB to the 2nd best two year stretch of any rookie in the history of football - where many others have failed in similar or better scenarios - and we should can him on the eve of a play-off run where we just finished as a top-10 offense and won 13 games.

Aside from chaos - I don't see what firing him would accomplish.

Moreover, he doesn't even have full control of the offense, as the philosophy comes from Pete (if anyone has read anything about Pete - the Xs and Os may not be his but the philosophy is all Carroll) and the running game/pass protection is co-ordinated by Tom Cable. He schemes the passing game - which is limited because of injuries and personnel - and calls plays but is influenced by Pete in that regard.

Furthermore, if you think we are going to have a MAJOR change in offense (like moving to a Sean Payton or Josh McDaniel pass first scheme) with a new co-ordinator - guess again; (why do you think Bates was fired)? Run heavy and play action will always be there as long as Pete is there. That will NEVER change - especially because it doesn't play to Russell's strengths.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":qmtqwjsb said:
plyka":qmtqwjsb said:

This attitude perplexes me so.

The guy in charge of a revolving offensive line, major injuries at WR and TE who leads a rookie QB to the 2nd best two year stretch of any rookie in the history of football - where many others have failed in similar or better scenarios - and we should can him on the eve of a play-off run where we just finished as a top-10 offense and won 13 games.

Aside from chaos - I don't see what firing him would accomplish.

Moreover, he doesn't even have full control of the offense, as the philosophy comes from Pete (if anyone has read anything about Pete - the Xs and Os may not be his but the philosophy is all Carroll) and the running game/pass protection is co-ordinated by Tom Cable. He schemes the passing game - which is limited because of injuries and personnel - and calls plays but is influenced by Pete in that regard.

Furthermore, if you think we are going to have a MAJOR change in offense (like moving to a Sean Payton or Josh McDaniel pass first scheme) with a new co-ordinator - guess again; (why do you think Bates was fired)? Run heavy and play action will always be there as long as Pete is there. That will NEVER change - especially because it doesn't play to Russell's strengths.

For perspective, plyka also called Tate "Seattle's worst receiver", and said we shouldn't resign him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Last year the same things were said about Bradley.

How Pete was really in control of the defense and all the rest....

Now truth be told, clearly Quinn has an easier time of it with the revamping/restocking of the DL. But I am not sure I believe that Bradley would have had as good of a defense if he was at the wheel, so we did probably upgrade.

I think Bevell gets credit for righting the ship when we were missing some pieces (he and Cable and I am not sure how much credit or blame falls to either here) but it is clear that he leaves options on the table and he does a poor job of scheming to his strengths at times. Worse, he absolutely falls into habits/tendencies to the point of being predictable.

(Disclosure: I am a Bevell "hater")

We won the game but our offense was hardly producing well up until the end, and it worries me that if the defense slips even a little, the offense has not shown the ability to pick up for it. If we stumble along the way, it is clear that Bevell could likely be the area we do - our defense looks the part of a team getting ready for a SB run, our offense does not. But then again, near the end the offense did put the game out of reach so we can give them credit for waking up (how much of that was due to the Rams utterly imploding I am not sure but some was).

EDIT: That was clearly a Freudian slip. To me, Bradley and Bevell are the same. Coordinators that are capable, but who had/have weaknesses that held/hold us back. Remember that of the 27 we scored, 14 had little to do with the offense. One was due to someone being an idiot and throwing their helmet which put us near the goal line and one was due to the defense. That meant the offense was almost scoreless for 2 quarters, hardly the stuff of legend.

I still consider Bevell the biggest obstacle we are going to face in winning it all, even more than the recent flurry of injuries.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27xwj3e7 said:
Last year the same things were said about Bradley.

How Pete was really in control of the defense and all the rest....

Now truth be told, clearly Quinn has an easier time of it with the revamping/restocking of the DL. But I am not sure I believe that Bradley would have had as good of a defense if he was at the wheel, so we did probably upgrade.

I think Bradley gets credit for righting the ship when we were missing some pieces (he and Cable and I am not sure how much credit or blame falls to either here) but it is clear that he leaves options on the table and he does a poor job of scheming to his strengths at times. Worse, he absolutely falls into habits/tendencies to the point of being predictable.

(Disclosure: I am a Bradley "hater")

We won the game but our offense was hardly producing well up until the end, and it worries me that if the defense slips even a little, the offense has not shown the ability to pick up for it. If we stumble along the way, it is clear that Bradley could likely be the area we do - our defense looks the part of a team getting ready for a SB run, our offense does not. But then again, near the end the offense did put the game out of reach so we can give them credit for waking up (how much of that was due to the Rams utterly imploding I am not sure but some was).
I think you mean you're a Bevell hater and Bevell gets credit for.....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":f0lt4wxm said:
What difference did we see this week? Well, the long bomb was only used strategically, not on every 3rd down and 3 play. Good Bevell, good.

There were tons of intermediate and short routes. Good again Bevell. But my question is, why can't you make these changes when it is OBVIOUS that the long bomb is not working? Like last week, why not make in game adjustmejnts?

Bevell saw what 75% of this board saw over the week. The team against Arizona was too stuck on run or long bomb. There was no situational awareness, as on 3rd and 2 they would call plays where 3 WRs would run go routes and Wilson would throw a 50 yard bomb. This game there was much better awareness. On 3rd and 5, they would throw high percentage plays. Good Bevell, now try to see your weakness in game, or even BEFORE THE GAME..

The fatal flaw in your logic is not placing the blame for all this stuff on Russell, the O-Line and the WR's, because they're the ones that determine what happens on each passing play.

When Russell comes to the line, he has 2-3 plays given to him by Bevell to run depending on what the defense is showing. Russell then stays with the play, or changes it. So when the balls hiked it's all on Russell and the WR's, TE's, etc to either throw short, intermediate, long, check down, whatever.

So to chastise Bevell over the playcalling is dumb.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Speaking of coaching staff. I think Quinn is doing a FANTASTIC job and I hope that the Hawks do everything they can to keep him. It would suck if he left.

Latest posts