Bevell called a good game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":52notsa1 said:
The all-22 won't be out for a few days, but at first glance it was a solid gameplan. Funny thing is, on a short week they don't install anything special. All night it was staple plays, and it looked like the offense was wearing a comfortable and familiar suit. A Wolf Grey suit.

The red zone stuff is a thing right now, but as Jim Harbaugh would say, but we are on the verge of fixing that too, you loosen those olives up and pretty soon they all come tumbling out. It's close, but the execution there is just off in timing right now.
I didn't see one bubble screen and he almost always had a TE just leaking out to the flat right after blocking as a safety valve for Wilson. Worked wonderfully to me. The red zone woes are being made worse by the ticky tack fouls I'm not sure how good or bad we really are at it because of this.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if you study the games where Seattle struggled in the redzone the most, you'd find that more often than not that Seattle had penalty problems in that game.

A five yard penalty feels like a fifteen yarder in goal to go.

Smellyman

Reaction score
funny watching 9er fans wishing they had an OC who calls a good game like Seattle.

there is only thing that is universal across message boards. Fans hate their OC and think they could call a better game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seafan":g4me437n said:
First down from the one. Not getting a TD. Is that Bevell or Russell?
Russell Wilson just all of the sudden got bad in the red zone this season? Sorry, not buying what you're trying to sell. How many legitimate RZ threats do we have, and why has Lynch been stymied in goal-to-go plays so much lately? It's no on Wilson to win the one-on-ones in that phone booth.

I swear there are some posts on this board that indicate severe myopia. Depth of thought seem to depend upon how long one's nose is.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Smellyman":25sm4sjc said:
funny watching 9er fans wishing they had an OC who calls a good game like Seattle.

there is only thing that is universal across message boards. Fans hate their OC and think they could call a better game.
How true. As much as we have called out Bevell the Niners have been saying how much better the Seahawk's playcalling is with Bevell in contrast to Santana Clara. Well for this game I wholeheartedly agree.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think the Redzone problem has multiple reasons why we aren't punching it in there. How many times are we close by to only have a penalty that sets us way back. How many plays where we should of just run it down their throats to only pass instead. There also have been how many TD's that have been negated or taken away from us by those penalties. I can think of almost 5 TD's (might be more) that have been called back on us because of these penalties. If those were sucessful our redzone efficiency would be be much better and we wouldn't be having this issue.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seafan":2hycpgvj said:

This was the one gripe I had with Bevell last night. I really hate the shotgun set inside the 3 yard line. I could see if we had a tall WR as a threat in the RZ.. but when they come out in that it basically screams "zone read"

They did that same thing against the Giants and it also didn't work.

sturg78

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":whoubirp said:
We HAVE to get better in the red zone before the playoffs. coming away with 3 or 0 points every time is not good enough.
Yeah but we got jobbed on a couple yesterday. Moeaki was in and Richardson didn't get a pick.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think for the most part, he did. I like the call to Turbin for his TD. The way Turbo explained it (and the way it looked on film) it puts the defender on that side in an impossible situation. If the CB bailed on the slant route and went to the flat, Wilson had a wide open receiver.

I don't like the pass call on 2nd down when we're on the 1 yard line. Yes, the 49ers had stopped the previous run, but you honestly have to look at how they did it, and what they were working with on the DL. All their big guys were out, so they were using 3-4 DE's as NT's and they were a bit light in the pants to accomplish what the Niners needed. They were stopping the run with penetration, not stuffing up the line and shoving guys backwards. The LOS wasn't moving backwards very much at all this game. So, on the first play, we get penetration off of the right side (it looked like Sweezy blew the blocking assignment, but it might've been Britt supposed to block down). Then, they call a pass, which is fairly predictable really. You call a pass on 2nd down, then if that fails, on 3rd down you put a team in a run/pass choice and you can run draws etc.

Personally watching the game, it was already getting to the point where their defense had been on the field a LOT. Pushing them around 3 more plays tires them out even more, and sets them up for fatigue later in the game. If you hit it 3 times from the 1 and kick the FG, well it's still the same result. It's not like the pass blocking was better than the run blocking, so just go with your strength and tear it up.

The other play I hated was one of the sacks of Wilson. Britt blocked down and left their OLB (I think it was Aaron Lynch) was left with a free rush at Wilson. At first I thought it was another blown assignment by Britt, but watching it, you had Kearse about 2 yards outside of Lynch, and when he headed in, Kearse immediately turned and tried to block him. I'm not sure in what universe I'd think chasing a blocker from behind, while also giving up 50 or more lbs to said blocker, is a good situation for your QB.

hawk45

Reaction score
I thought Wilson should have recognized Kearse on a LB and shifted protection, called timeout, or done something. Don't know that I put that on Bevell, he can't know the defensive alignment when he calls the formation.

But Wilson has eluded guys before when they come free, I think perhaps it's a case of he and the coaches being willing to roll the dice that he can elude and find the vacated part of the field from the blitzer. I say that's okay, but I'd rather against SF and AZ he took the timeout or whatever and did something else. Against other teams, okay, let it ride.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Seafan":1ud526oc said:
Bevell. 1st down shotgun snap is idiotic. Why not have lynch running downhill with russ under center? Blows my mind...few would agree with me, but i would bring in tjack if we are ever on the 1 yd line. I'll grant wilson supremacy on all other 99 yds of the field, but 1st down I'm slanting the whole line left and tjack is just tucking and driving to the right A gap. Wilson can be on the sideline talking with bevell, knowing its either 2nd and goal or td, and then just run in the play and take over 2nd and 3rd down. Our lack of a solid, old fashioned qb sneak sometimes annoys me.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Bevell did have a nice game Thursday, and has had a few decent ones this season.

That said, I'd love to see him go.

We can do better long term than Darrell.

Carroll's loyalty here is misplaced. I'm just hoping he can do what's best for the future and let his pal walk.

It's a business of winning.

Let's keep it that way.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Smellyman":wyhk7bcf said:

I watch plenty of games on a weekly basis, and I have to say that while Bevell is not as bad as Seahawk fans think he is, I can safely say Bevell still is not a very good coordinator.

What he lacks most is situational awareness, and that is a major weakness for an offensive coordinator to have. All too often his play calling does not match the down and distance that the offense has to travel.

For example, empty sets on 3rd and 3 when your running game is averaging almost 5 yards a clip is not very logical. You take away a valuable pass blocker, and you take away the threat of Marshawn Lynch running running down the throat of the defense, you also take away a potential safety valve in the advent of a blitz.

There are far too many instances of this type of play calling from Bevell.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zrbci3x said:
Smellyman":2zrbci3x said:

I watch plenty of games on a weekly basis, and I have to say that while Bevell is not as bad as Seahawk fans think he is, I can safely say Bevell still is not a very good coordinator.

What he lacks most is situational awareness, and that is a major weakness for an offensive coordinator to have. All too often his play calling does not match the down and distance that the offense has to travel.

For example, empty sets on 3rd and 3 when your running game is averaging almost 5 yards a clip is not very logical. You take away a valuable pass blocker, and you take away the threat of Marshawn Lynch running running down the throat of the defense, you also take away a potential safety valve in the advent of a blitz.

There are far too many instances of this type of play calling from Bevell.
And this leads to my biggest issue with Bevell. PC preaches taking what the D gives us but I don't see that from Bevell. I know he scripts the first 20 or so plays but it makes no sense when he continues calling stupid plays when the D is showing their hand