Back to back 10am games

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Win the division and get HFA and we avoid all 10AM games.. pretty simple.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
vonstout":26is849t said:
I heard on the radio that Arizona has gone to the east coast for the whole week before. I'm betting they do it again.

They have no reason to do that, the NFC CG starts at 4:30 AZ time.

Win more games and none of this is an issue.

PNW9erFan

Reaction score
So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

Don't like playing 10:00am game time?

Don't get Swept by The RAMS!
OR
Win More Games & Get HFA!
OR
File complaints w/the NFL
OR
Score More Points than ZERO in 30 minutes of play vs Panthers!

If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

Simple as that!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
PNW9erFan":3u7m37mo said:
So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

OR
OR
OR

If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

Simple as that!
You didn't even read the thread did you.

Go away troll

gaucho

Reaction score
I've been the one pumping the importance of a 10am game more than anyone on here. I hate the seahawks. OK, hate is a little strong, but I am certainly not a fan. My point is that dismissing this as whining or seahawk fans looking for an excuse is ignorant.

10 am games offer a huge competitive advantage to the home team. I studied it and the results will be published here
https://www.asep.org/index.php/resources/jep-online/
in their next issue (Februrary). This disadvantage is far more prevalent and far more significant than any other one faced in the NFL. So much so that I am shocked that these games are still played (yes, I understand the TV contract implications).

For example, most would point to east coast teams playing in the primetime slot in the west for a comparison. This is wrong.

1) Humans recover quicker from a phase lengthening (westward travel) than a phase shortening (eastward travel).

2) Most aspects of athletic performance (strength, reaction time, flexibility, etc) mimic the core body temperature cycle, which is at its peak in the early evening. This makes 10am pst games far tougher than 8pm est games.

3) the data supports the hypothesis above. win percentage, penalty prevalence, turnover prevalence, drop pass rates all do exactly what human physiology would expect then to do, which is all detrimental for 10am starts.

4) There are far fewer 8pm est starts than 10am pst starts, so even if they were equally detrimental (which they are not) it still wouldn't be fair to west coast teams.

My goal is to get the NFL to abolish these in the regular season (which presumably would also get rid of them in the playoffs). I'm only here because the seahawks playoff struggles in these games brought attention to the issue.

Yes, if Seattle wins the division they don't have to face this disadvantage. However, Carolina, or any other non west coast team, does not have to win its divison to avoid this disadvantage. That is inherently unfair.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pregame meal at 6 AM. Warm ups at 8. Game at 10.

All so the NFL can showcase an afternoon game or two in a format going back decades.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thank you, Gaucho, for this eye opening perspective. Perhaps, it will open the heart of the NFL front office personnel to give the teams from the West Coast a fair break.......or as some may prefer "level playing field".

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
acbass":3go6vwti said:
I don't understand the scheduling in the playoffs. The Saturday games start at like 4pm and 8:00pm Eastern time. Why can't they do the exact same thing on Sunday? They play 8:30pm games every Sunday and Monday night during the season. There is no reason to start one game that early. I understand the HFA thing, but I have a couple of problems with that as an end all be all rule. First off, if that's your reasoning, then you need to re-seed according to record. A 7-9 team had no business having a home game and a 10-6 or 11-5 team having to go on the road. HFA is things like crowd noise, atmosphere, environment, etc. It's not about arbitrarily starting a game that biases any west coast team. That can be controlled.

I said this to my coworker today...WTF is that shit. Why is Saturday not 10am and 1:40 or so as well. Or Sunday be later start times like saturday. What possible reason is there to have different start times..I just dont get it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26blp24f said:
vonstout":26blp24f said:
I heard on the radio that Arizona has gone to the east coast for the whole week before. I'm betting they do it again.

They have no reason to do that, the NFC CG starts at 4:30 AZ time.

Win more games and none of this is an issue.

Which i think is hilarious btw....

We get two 10am starts but the championship is at almost 2pm..what a joke

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
PNW9erFan":4vrsp3qu said:

OR
OR
OR

Simple as that!

Wasnt that Panther vs Seahawk game played in the primetime slot....so....whats the big deal...I am pretty sure that game was at like 5pm was it not. How is that a disadvantage to the Panthers.

Also I am pretty sure Seahawks traveled further than the Packers....by probably 1000+ miles actually

rideaducati

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1pt97li3 said:
PNW9erFan":1pt97li3 said:

OR
OR
OR

Simple as that!
You didn't even read the thread did you.

Go away troll

Maybe he is too stupid to realize that his whiners have the same issue and are also located on the West coast. Joe Montana lost EVERY 10am road playoff game he played and was blown out of a couple of them while with the whiners.

Sign37now

Reaction score
francois.nc":176jm5qn said:
You were the number 6 seed, that is the worst, did you expect to get to play at home or something. Maybe you should relocate to the East Coast somewhere so you won't have to complain about 10am games anymore.

You won, we lost. Go crawl back into your den and enjoy watching your no class douche bag QB dance like a clown. Wonder if we see or hear from you if AZ kicks your asses..

You are dismissed.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Aside from all of this and what is lost is the fans on the west coast.

I love coffee and cereal, but I don't like to watch my football drinking coffee and eating cereal.

What needs to be done is pressure on the beer company showing how all their beer commercials are lost on the 10:00 am games in the west coast. I'm pretty sure they would rather have us drinking beer and eating chips than.. coffee and OJ.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
gaucho:

I appreciate your efforts a great deal and I wish you success in your quest to end all 10:00 AM Pacific games in the NFL. It could easily be done.

I know you're a 9er fan and I just though I'd remind you of the absolute screwing your franchise took in terms of scheduling at the beginning of the season in case you've forgotten (unlikely). Your team played they late Monday night opener the first week of the season against the Vikings and IIRC the game didn't end until nearly midnight Pacific time. The following week they had to travel to Pittsburgh and play a Sunday morning, 10:00 AM game and the results were quite predictable, they got beat handily.

As a side note, Pittsburgh made their first visit to Seattle in like 12 years this season because the scheduling was being 'reset' and in '11 Seattle traveled to Pittsburgh when they should've visited Seattle. I might alsoi add that the Steelers were given a bye week before their trip to Seattle.

I mention these 2 things because I actually do believe there is a conspiracy to give the east coast teams a competitive advantage when it comes to scheduling and I think the Steelers are front and center in benefiting from this type of thing. Rooney is a powerful and influential guy in the NFL and his team has the biggest national following of any. The league as well as the team itself benefit greatly from assuring their competitive relevance (merchandise sales!). I mention this because I believe you will be fighting against Rooney and other eastern team owners (Kraft, Mara, Richardson?) working behind the public face of Goodell to make sure this doesn't happen and I feel you need to find a way to coalesce western and mountain owners and get them to get central and eastern owners sympathetic to their plight to join forces with them to overcome Rooney and others that like things just as they are.

One other thing I'd like to bring up......people say that TV is the reason for this and that IMO makes ZERO sense whatsoever. As Colin Cowherd often says, the NFL is the highest rated TV show on 4 networks, CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC. Networks love live sports cuz people watch the commercials rather than fast forwarding through them because it's on their DVR thus they get better ad revenue from live sports than any other shows because advertisers and the networks know people are seeing those ads. I just don't believe for a second that the networks give a hoot about when games are on so long as they are on. Also, no 10:00 AM Pacific games might well actually increase viewers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones because there would be no conflict with Sunday morning church services as well.

Fight the good fight for the Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Cards and Broncos!

chawx

Reaction score
I remember as a kid watching on Sundays and HATING the fact that I had to wait until 11am (MST) for football to start. It was never my Seahawks playing that early, but it was something to do until 2pm when *cross-my-fingers* the Seahawks game instead of the Broncos or 49ers game would be on TV.

Now, as an adult, I say ban the 11am games!! I can't effing wake up and start drinking that early, and usually I'm hungover and have a raging headache until 2pm anyway from the night before. GD NFL (in association with Bud Light, etc.) if you want my beer money, stop making 11am games... start games at 1pm and then afternoon games start at 4pm, and have a primetime game at 6:30pm (yes, it will start while the other games are finishing, but so what)... Monday and Thursday games...meh. whatever.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3s1zri6p said:
gaucho:

I appreciate your efforts a great deal and I wish you success in your quest to end all 10:00 AM Pacific games in the NFL. It could easily be done.

I know you're a 9er fan and I just though I'd remind you of the absolute screwing your franchise took in terms of scheduling at the beginning of the season in case you've forgotten (unlikely). Your team played they late Monday night opener the first week of the season against the Vikings and IIRC the game didn't end until nearly midnight Pacific time. The following week they had to travel to Pittsburgh and play a Sunday morning, 10:00 AM game and the results were quite predictable, they got beat handily.

As a side note, Pittsburgh made their first visit to Seattle in like 12 years this season because the scheduling was being 'reset' and in '11 Seattle traveled to Pittsburgh when they should've visited Seattle. I might alsoi add that the Steelers were given a bye week before their trip to Seattle.

I mention these 2 things because I actually do believe there is a conspiracy to give the east coast teams a competitive advantage when it comes to scheduling and I think the Steelers are front and center in benefiting from this type of thing. Rooney is a powerful and influential guy in the NFL and his team has the biggest national following of any. The league as well as the team itself benefit greatly from assuring their competitive relevance (merchandise sales!). I mention this because I believe you will be fighting against Rooney and other eastern team owners (Kraft, Mara, Richardson?) working behind the public face of Goodell to make sure this doesn't happen and I feel you need to find a way to coalesce western and mountain owners and get them to get central and eastern owners sympathetic to their plight to join forces with them to overcome Rooney and others that like things just as they are.

One other thing I'd like to bring up......people say that TV is the reason for this and that IMO makes ZERO sense whatsoever. As Colin Cowherd often says, the NFL is the highest rated TV show on 4 networks, CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC. Networks love live sports cuz people watch the commercials rather than fast forwarding through them because it's on their DVR thus they get better ad revenue from live sports than any other shows because advertisers and the networks know people are seeing those ads. I just don't believe for a second that the networks give a hoot about when games are on so long as they are on. Also, no 10:00 AM Pacific games might well actually increase viewers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones because there would be no conflict with Sunday morning church services as well.

Fight the good fight for the Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Cards and Broncos!

How did the 49ers get screwed in week 1....going against the Vikings who were basically starting the game at 9:30 THEIR time....I would say Vikings got screwed...game was starting at bed time for them.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
If you know a week in advance, why didn't the team move everything for the entire week up an hour or so.?

Wouldn't 6-7 days make the adjustment easier?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":12birg28 said:
How did the 49ers get screwed in week 1....going against the Vikings who were basically starting the game at 9:30 THEIR time....I would say Vikings got screwed...game was starting at bed time for them.
Both teams got screwed. The Vikings for having to play that incredibly late hour for their body clocks and the 9ers for having to play a 10:00 AM game is Pissburgh basically 5 days after finishing a game at midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning. That late Monday night game should've been scheduled against another Pacific Time Zone team for sure, not Minny. SF should not have had to go east and play at 10 AM the following week (though as stated numerous times, I believe NO team should have to play at 10 AM Pacific).

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Actually, if they left Saturday instead of friday, it might be better since the lag hasn't set in yet... lag seems to set in a day later.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Another issue is not only waking up at 4:30 PST on the east coast but try going to bed at 8pm. I saw a tweet from KPL the night before the game at I believe 11:38pm talking about the GB game. What are you doing up at 11:30ish the night before a huge game? Maybe falling sleep is tough at 8:38pm PST, no? It would be tough for just about anyone.

Latest posts