Back in the mid to late 80s did anyone else consider Denver

Northhawk

Reaction score
I did. Broncos and Chargers. Took a long time to get use to the Hawks being an NFC team again.

That was great time to be in the AFC West - Air Coryell, Orange Crush and Plunkett and the Raiders. Entertaining football for sure. Even the Seahawks were entertaining while usually out classed.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Ban The Boz t-shirts?

Brian Bosworth said in an interview he would rather take a penalty than allow John Elway to run out of bounds safely. Denver fans were pissed. The subsequent game, the stands were filled with people wearing "Ban The Boz" shirts.

Thing is, the shirts were produced by Boz44 Inc., owned by Brian Bosworth. He donated the proceeds to Children's Hospital.

JGreen79

Reaction score
chris98251":2f7csy45 said:
The Rivalry with the Raiders started on Monday Nights, they were the Kings of Monday nights prior to our arrival, we by hook or crook won in weird fashion on Monday Night Football since our inception, and still do many times.

The Ricky Watters fumble/safety was so satisfying for me I hated the Raiders so much growing up.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
You all mean John"Cocaine"Elway?
The Raiders were for me the Rival I hated the most back from 70's-02.
As others have mentioned the Raiders were the bullies of the AFC west.
They fielded great rosters with Al Davis's famous "Just win Baby" quote.
They had and are to this day as being known as one of the dirtiest teams with
one of the most unwelcoming, rude ,obnoxious,crazy fan bases in the NFL.
Didn't care for Al Davis,John Madden.Tom Flores was cool though.I thought Jim Plunkett looked like a grandpa in a football uniform. Lyle Alzado and Howie Long tormented us.Lester "the molester"Hayes with his stickum.I believe Ray Guy is still the best punter in the history of the NFL that guy was a weapon.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I always felt Denver and the Raiders were our top rivals during the Knox-Krieg-Largent era, but the Raiders first and foremost. We also had the most success against the Raiders for whatever reason. OK, so there was that road game in Denver where Krieg hit Daryl Turner with an 80-yard TD on the first play of the game, and we held on to win. It just seemed we had less success against Denver. But MNF against the Raiders, in the Kingdome--YEAH!!

The suffering of the 90's bled over and blotted out some of the Seahawks successes of the mid-late 80's. In the 90's, seeing KC repeatedly bulldoze our undersized defense with their corn-fed linemen, while the Nigerian Nightmare bulldozed any remaining defenders on his way to the end zone. There was that game 16 against Denver where we somehow beat the playoff-bound Broncos in a driving Seattle rain in an otherwise dismal season. My apologies if any of my chronology is out of whack; some of those years were highly forgettable and things blend and blur over time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3gi2g2jp said:
When we first joined the league the Raiders were top of the league heap. Kind of amazing we actually got wins against them when nearly no one else did. But I always hated Denver more than any other, with KC a close second. I've never seen any team get so many inexpicably lucky breaks resulting in wins as Denver. Plus their fans suck, although KC fans are a close rival for Denver in that regard.
Now that we're in a different division things have changed, but my feeling about Denver and KC remain the same.
I'm wondering if you know that we was an NFC team to begin with?
We agreed to move to the AFC with the understanding that eventually
we would be moved back to the NFC where we belong..I didn't like
the AFC,I felt like we got screwed a lot more in calls just because we
were an NFC team playing in the good old AFC.
I don't miss it and SF is much more intense of a rival than any of those
AFC teams put together.

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3noizqjb said:
Appyhawk":3noizqjb said:
When we first joined the league the Raiders were top of the league heap. Kind of amazing we actually got wins against them when nearly no one else did. But I always hated Denver more than any other, with KC a close second. I've never seen any team get so many inexpicably lucky breaks resulting in wins as Denver. Plus their fans suck, although KC fans are a close rival for Denver in that regard.
Now that we're in a different division things have changed, but my feeling about Denver and KC remain the same.
I'm wondering if you know that we was an NFC team to begin with?
We agreed to move to the AFC with the understanding that eventually
we would be moved back to the NFC where we belong..I didn't like
the AFC,I felt like we got screwed a lot more in calls just because we
were an NFC team playing in the good old AFC.
I don't miss it and SF is much more intense of a rival than any of those
AFC teams put together.

We were always the red headed step child in the AFC due to all of those teams were original AFL teams and had been rivals since their inception.

The NFC was where we were born, I found it funny that initially the rest of the West wanted us here for a easy win, yes that was when it was New Orleans, Atlanta, San Fran and Los Angeles.

Well the division is a bit different looking now, but how has that worked out for them so far.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I remember it being the Raiders and then the Broncos for sure. Post 1981 games with the Raiders were slobberknockers and in the mid 80s the Broncos would come in, get physically hammered and I swear, just when the Broncos were going break, Elway would run towards the sidelines, chuck the ball downfield right before he stepped out to a waiting Vance Johnson or one of the other little bastages to hose things up. Often times a FG would make or break the deal. Heh, there were a few years during Raider games that you could look to a section of the done and see a WAVE of bodies falling over because of the fights. We really had 'em back then, I mean some good ones.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Geologic":3fmg8mhn said:
Everyone hated Jon Elway and the Broncos.

Though I thought the Seahawks hated the Raiders with the OG Raider Buster tshirt

edit: The old 1984 Raider Buster song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... tooSMCkHtU

John Elway is Washington native. I believe he was born in Pullman. My father was friends with Jack Elway from when my family lived in Hoquiem, before I was born. We lived in Missoula when Jack coached the Grizzlies. My dad would hire a couple players in this store to each season as a favor to Jack.

All this to say I still HATED John. My dad was a Seahawk fan from day one but would get pizzed at me for putting John Elway down. He was like Russ in that he always seem to bring the Broncos back from behind and played his best at crunch time.

As for Lester Hayes of the Raiders. I met him at a charity event a couple of years ago in Salem Oregon. He was the coolest most down to earth guy. I told him I "hated him" in the day because he was a Raider and play-maker. He laughed and thanked me saying fans don't waste "hate" on mediocre players. He did say that of all the receivers he faced Steve Largent gave him the most fits. He said Largent's rep as being slow was B.S. and his rout running and ability to change speed in his cuts made covering him impossible. He also said that Largent was the best blocking receiver he ever faced.