12 Reasons to Love the Seahawks

Erebus

Reaction score
As the Super Bowl is upon us, I got thinking about how the Seahawks got here, what makes them so special, and why I root for them (besides being from Washington). Since the number 12 means so much to this franchise, I thought I'd share 12 reasons why I love the Seahawks.

1. Paul Allen

It all starts at the top. We have the best owner in the NFL, and we wouldn't be here without him (in Seattle or in the Super Bowl). He saved us from moving to LA. He knew to cut the cord on the failed Mora experiment after one year and hired the right people for the job. It took a lot of cajones to hire Pete Carroll after two failed stints in the NFL and to give him full control. Speaking of Pete Carroll, that leads me into reason #2.

2. A progressive-thinking head coach and general manager

At the 12th man town hall in 2012, Pete said they're trying to do things better than they've ever been done before. And so far, it looks like he's succeeding in that. He bucks conventional wisdom and he's always open to new ideas. Every roster spot is open to competition, which gives UDFAs an incentive to sign here and keeps veterans from getting complacent. There may not be a direct competition for every spot every year, but if you're young and you outperform a veteran, there will be a place for you on this team.

According to the players, its like a college atmosphere here, and they love it. Pete makes practice fun with music, and he's a master at building his players' confidence and hyping them up for a game. This coaching style has made Seattle a premier destination for free agents. None of this would mean anything without winning. But being in the Super Bowl validates his coaching style.

Perhaps the best thing about Pete is his lack of ego. He quickly moves on from mistakes, such as Matt Flynn and Lendale White. This lack of ego also enabled him to promote a 3rd round rookie to starting QB over a big-money free agent, and it worked out beautifully.

John Schneider is the other half of this dynamic duo. He's on the same page with Pete, which really helps in identifying the right players to draft and/or sign. The constant roster-churn has resulted in a nearly complete roster turnover from the previous regime. Only four players remain from before Pete and John took over, and they are Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger, and Jon Ryan.

The best thing about PC/JS is the topic of reason number three.

3. Outstanding drafting will lead to prolonged success

PC/JS have established an incredible track record with mid- and late-round drafting. Each year they've found some gems in those rounds.

2010 - Walter Thurmond, Kam Chancellor
2011 - KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell
2012 - Russell Wilson, Jeremy Lane (special teams superstar according to PFF)
2013 - Luke Willson

Why is he so good at drafting late? They find what a player does really well and adjust their scheme to utilize a player's strengths instead of fitting square pegs in round holes. They also talk to the scouts and let them know exactly what attributes they look for in players, which apparently a lot of teams don't do. The one requirement to be drafted by the Seahawks is competitiveness. If you're competitive, you'll fit right in with Pete's "Always Compete" mantra. Not only are they good at finding late round gems, but they've drafted five Pro Bowlers, most of any team since they took over in 2010.

This great drafting ability has given us reason #4.

4. Great collection of interesting characters

PC/JS leave no stone unturned when it comes to finding talent. They'll give anyone a chance, such as an exonerated rapist, a deaf fullback, and a former gang member. Finding talent from all places, along with Pete allowing players to be themselves as long as it doesn't hurt the team, has resulted in the Hawks having some of the most interesting characters in the NFL. This includes Richard Sherman, the biggest trash talker in the NFL and a Stanford graduate (oh and he's also the best CB in the NFL), Kam Chancellor, the most feared safety in the game, and Marshawn Lynch, who earned the nickname Beast Mode for good reason. We have Golden Tate, who has probably made himself more famous for his antics than his play. And there's also this guy with a last name Wilson, first name Russell. He deserves his own reason to love the Hawks.

5. Russell Wilson

What needs to be said about him that everyone doesn't already know? Probably nothing, so I'll just rehash the major points. He's part of a new breed of dual-threat QBs, he tied the passing TD mark in his first season (and tied for 2nd in his first two seasons), broke the record for wins by a QB in first two seasons, he led his team to the Super Bowl in his second year, and has poise and maturity well beyond his age and experience.

6. Best defense in a decade

They play an old school style of defense, not built on trickery or disguising coverages. They just simply out-physical and out-execute you. They lead the league in total defense, scoring defense, turnovers, and Football Outsiders signature stat, Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. No defense in the last decade can make that claim.

7. They are a true "team"

This is a rarity in pro sports. Everyone plays for each other, not for themselves. They talk about not wanting to play anywhere else. They build up each others' confidence, such as when Byron Maxwell was thrust into a starting job, Sherman and Thomas got him to believe he could succeed, and he did. When Russell Wilson is interviewed after a great game, he deflects all the credit to his teammates. The only reason Sherman apologized for his post-game rant was because it took the focus away from the great games his teammates played.

8. Chips on shoulders

Most of the Seahawks have chips on their shoulders. That's what happens when you're a late round pick playing in South Alaska and not getting the national recognition you deserve. They channel it in the right way, it drives them to be great, and it manifests itself on the field.

9. Best uniforms in the league

This is just my personal opinion, and I can't possibly back it up with facts. But I think they look awesome. We kick peoples asses in style.

10. Community involvement

This obviously is nothing exclusive to the Seahawks, but they do a great job with community involvement. The players and coaches are involved in all kinds of community outreach programs, either programs they've created themselves or just joined in. Pete Carroll started A Better Seattle, Kam Chancellor established the Kam Cares Foundation, there is Russell Okung's UP Foundation, Marshawn Lynch's Fam 1st Family Foundation, Michael Robinson's Excel 2 Excellence Foundation, and Breno Giacomini is part of American Football Without Barriers. And of course Russell Wilson created his own passing academy as a rookie and spends time every Tuesday at a children's hospital.

11. They don't hold coaches back from success

Pete lets his coaches interview for jobs, even in the playoffs. He doesn't hold them back from their goals. By doing this, it attracts the top up-and-coming coaches, because they know they won't be denied interviewing for HC jobs in the future.

12. The 12th Man

We've got the best fans in the world. I know every fan base claims this, but none of them can back it up with anything (except us, of course). We set the world record for crowd noise, we've forced the most opposing false start and delay of game penalties since 2005, and we caused an earthquake during Lynch's famous playoff run. 30,000 of us lined up the streets of Seattle to send the team off to the Super Bowl (Denver had about 200 fans show up for their send-off). We've also had quite a few fans get national recognition in the media, including our own NYCoug.

So there you have it. 12 reasons why I love the Hawks, and what makes them a first class organization. Please share why you love them.