Back in the mid to late 80s did anyone else consider Denver

groundchucklives

Reaction score
...to be our main rival? I always viewed Denver-Seattle in the mid to late 80's as a great rivalry ESP when they came to the Kingdome! Chuck Knox roaming the Seattle sideline....a suit-clad Dan Reeves patrolling the Denver sideline....Sunday night football on ESPN live from the Kingdome, with the Kingdome crowd going wild...always a close, hard fought AFC West tilt.....does anyone else remember that or am I the only one?

Jac

Reaction score
Sure, they were definitely up there (if not at the top). But Oakland and KC were Denver's biggest rivals back then and now. We could never entirely overcome that AFL bias.

chris98251

Reaction score
To us it was Oakland and Denver, to Kansas City, Denver, Oakland, and San Diego we were Home invaders, not original AFL and were an after thought to their fans for many many years, Until we started knocking them out of the playoffs.

Then we were lucky, had crowd noise piped in, refs thru the game etc.

Boohman14

Reaction score
As I recall when Coach Knox arrived, the Raiders were the bullies in the division. Suddenly the Seahawks were a serious threat to the Raiders. Our O-line couldn't be intimidated by Raider cheap shot tactics. Our Defense was a tough group with an effective pass rush, tough tackling linebackers and a ball hawking secondary. With Kenny Easley and under-rated linebackers Butler, Jackson, not to mention Jacob Green. The division had to go through the Raiders but Seattle and San Diego were the most realistic threats for a couple of years.

KC was always a tough game no matter who they played. Denver emerged in 1986 season as I recall but the whole division was tough throughout the 80's. I felt were were "hated" by the teams in our division as much as the other teams.

But I felt that our chief rival was The Raiders in the mid 80's and I think the Raider fans of the day would agree.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I had a black lapel pin with silver letters that said "I hate the Raiders", which I wore for many years affixed to my Knox-years Seahawks hat (with Knox's autograph on the bottom of the bill). That should tell you all you need to know on this subject.

I lost that cap+pin many years ago, and I still feel the sting.

OP
OP
G

groundchucklives

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2uvd1qzq said:
I had a black lapel pin with silver letters that said "I hate the Raiders", which I wore for many years affixed to my Knox-years Seahawks hat (with Knox's autograph on the bottom of the bill). That should tell you all you need to know on this subject.

I lost that cap+pin many years ago, and I still feel the sting.

^^^^dude where did you lose it?!!

chris98251

Reaction score
The Rivalry with the Raiders started on Monday Nights, they were the Kings of Monday nights prior to our arrival, we by hook or crook won in weird fashion on Monday Night Football since our inception, and still do many times.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hated the Donks and Raiders pretty equally. Hated greasy Uncle Al, and hated Elway.
The Elway hate came from how good he was and his horse face.

KC and SD meh, though they were tough rivals most of the time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah us older 12's definitely recall the days in the Dome, despising the Broncos (Mr. Ed and Bronco Buster T-shirts anyone??) and Raiders pretty equally. The Chargers and Chiefs were, meh. It didn't even matter if we weren't considered rivals to any of those teams. We just loooooooved to hate the Broncos and Raiders and that's all that mattered.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I wasn't born yet, but from the highlights I've seen it looks like a pretty fun era of ball, played on a monstrosity of a playing surface.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
KinesProf":1uine65z said:
I wasn't born yet, but from the highlights I've seen it looks like a pretty fun era of ball, played on a monstrosity of a playing surface.

Yeah man it was basically a 1/4" of astroturf on top of concrete.

When Men were Men.

CY7lknfUoAACLl4formatjpgnamesmall

:229031_cheers:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yes, I agree Denver was our top rival. But Oakland is debatable as the top rival too.

It made the Hawks stomping on Denver in the Superbowl that much sweeter.

evergreen

Reaction score
The rivalry with the Raiders was also because we had the best receiver and they had the best CB or safety too lazy to look it up, in Lester Hayes. Remember him dripping with stick-um? I hated the raiders. I hated John Madden until he became an announcer. But that hatred was a mere drop in the ocean to how much I hated big horse teeth grinning golden boy John Elway. Watching him run around back there an inch from going down only to make a great play. I still hate the mother. But we got ours in RW so pay backs a bitch. Our great year of 12-4 was a wild card, cuz we lost to freaking Denver (and KC) to end the season, and they went 13-3.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I remember the big wildcard game we won against the Broncos circa 85ish..

But I also remember Horseface making us his bitch more than once. To think we had a chance to get him..

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
When we first joined the league the Raiders were top of the league heap. Kind of amazing we actually got wins against them when nearly no one else did. But I always hated Denver more than any other, with KC a close second. I've never seen any team get so many inexpicably lucky breaks resulting in wins as Denver. Plus their fans suck, although KC fans are a close rival for Denver in that regard.
Now that we're in a different division things have changed, but my feeling about Denver and KC remain the same.

sutz

Reaction score
Elway had a special place of hatred in Seattle hearts. He tortured the Huskies for 4 years at Stanford, and then manipulated the NFL draft to go to Denver. IIRC he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts (yeah, it was that long ago :)) and forced a trade to Denver by threatening to play baseball for the Yankees.

:pukeface:

So yeah, probably Denver, although the Raiders were especially hated, too. Raiders used to brag they had a winning record in every stadium in the league-except the Kingdome. That was because, as was said above, the Hawks had a unique ability to beat them on Monday night, such that we got more MNF appearences than we probably should have given our crap record in the early years.

OP
OP
G

groundchucklives

Reaction score
Appyhawk":qp2kk0eo said:
When we first joined the league the Raiders were top of the league heap. Kind of amazing we actually got wins against them when nearly no one else did. But I always hated Denver more than any other, with KC a close second. I've never seen any team get so many inexpicably lucky breaks resulting in wins as Denver. Plus their fans suck, although KC fans are a close rival for Denver in that regard.
Now that we're in a different division things have changed, but my feeling about Denver and KC remain the same.

Appyhawk, just wondering dude, why do you dislike Broncos fans so much?

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawks one of the teams that could get under Elway's skin, at home it was the crowd, he could get signals out and wanted to the Officials to stop the game, of course that went over well here. Then you had Porter, then the Boz.

We treated him like a whiney entitled kid, I will say all of us respected his talent and hated him for being so good and on the Broncos.

Latest posts