Atlanta Falcons: Paper Tigers?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Most people know I'm not an X's and O's guy. I am a typical diehard; reactionary, emotions-on-my-sleeve, callsitasiseesit kinda guy.

So I humbly offer that I am far from an expert when it comes to breaking down game film. However, is it just me or is this Atlanta Falcons team a bit of a Paper Tiger? I mean, yes, clearly they have talent, especially on offense. This thread isn't to smack talk or bash the Falcons. I respect that they are the #1 seed. You don't get to be the #1 seed because you suck. I just can't shake the feeling that they are not as good as their record indicates.

I was just curious to see if I'm on an island here or if this is the general perception. Falcons Fans if you are reading this and care to enlighten us - tastefully and with class like several Redskins fans were over the past week - I am totally all ears. I want to know if there's a ring of truth to this notion or if it's false hope.

HawksFan83

Reaction score
To me, the Falcons are alot like the Chargers, All the hype and talk, and it always goes no where.

cesame

Reaction score
The strength of the their team is certainly their passing attacking with Ryan throwing to Julio/White/Gonzalez. That's an elite group right there.

After that, I don't really think they have a group that's better than any group the Seahawks have.

I'm not going to call them paper tigers. I will say however that they are very beatable and Seattle matches up very well.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They have a lot of really good weapons and a really good QB. Their offense scares me a bit.

Not too worried about their defense.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah they have weapons no doubt. I for one am not calling this a victory -- yet.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1brq80x0 said:
The Falcons have the number five ranked scoring defense in the League.

I mentioned this in another thread, they are the classic bend don't break.

Rat

Reaction score
How's Abraham doing health wise? We were fortunate to miss out on playing Justin Smith a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if that luck will continue with the Falcons.

Bipolar

Reaction score
paper tigers? hardly, but their running game is :).

they will aggressively pass against us and hopefully our corners can keep up with their three musketeers...

either way, I am NOT scared. go hawks!

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SNDavidson":3g3bqxux said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3g3bqxux said:

Well, we are going to need the points so hopefully we bend them often....Or just break them.

BWRyan

Reaction score
I'm worried about Gonzalez. This D does a poor job defending TE's and RB's out of the backfield IMO.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1ijs7570 said:
SNDavidson":1ijs7570 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1ijs7570 said:

Well, we are going to need the points so hopefully we bend them often....Or just break them.

Yes, I agree, it is a concern of mine and that's why I brought it up

cesame

Reaction score
I like the fact that the best unit on their team will be going up against the best unit on the Seahawks (receivers vs secondary)

The Falcons don't have that kind of match-up when they're on defense. They don't have the hogs to stop Seattle's run game (Lynch or Wilson). They're in the bottom half of the league in stopping the run.

They're simply not a defense that puts the clamps on and stops you. They are a bend-don't-break-defense, coming in at 24th in the NFL in yards per game, so the Seahawks should be able to move the ball.

They're 5th in the NFL on defense in pts/G at 19, so the Seahawks will need to score 6's instead of 3's (kind of an obvious thing to say).

Crazy stat about there defense? They only have 29 sacks on the year! And their best rush passer (Abraham) got nicked up in week 17.

usChawks

Reaction score
i'm not a big X's and O's guy, but doesn't this team seem like a better version of the dallas cowboys? finesse, with a better QB but can't win the big games?

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Name a linebacker or a d
d lineman for the falcons. It's hard.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
They have a dangerous offense and a really good secondary. They also have a very inventive DC who I am pretty sure saw our struggles with stopping blitzers. I will watch the coaches tape on the rewind this week to get a better idea.

VaporHawk

Reaction score
They have to be the most disrespected team by the media.

You never hear a damn thing about them, ever.

Sunday Night Football showed its season highlights last night and the Falcon highlight was their QB being sacked.

These guys are much better than the Skins and we will need to play much better to have a chance.

kmedic

Reaction score
I think this game is more than just about the Hawks for them. This is a "mini Super Bowl" for them. They have built this stigma that they can't win a playoff game, even at home. They have great motivation to get this monkey off their back. It kinda reminds me of the '05 Hawks team when the Skins came to town- remember the Hawks hadn't won a playoff game under Holmgren until that point and this was talked about a lot leading up to the game.

I don't like how the Hawks just finished a heavy weight battle in Washington, have to travel all the way back home, and then have to go all the way back to Atlanta for an early Sunday game.

I'm hoping the game goes similar to today's in a way. Falcons come out hot, score a TD, get the crowd roaring, and then the Hawks slowly but surely comes back and takes the game over. Whatever way, I for one think Atlanta is a much better team than Washington.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
They're pass first team, and they have two receivers with big play ability. You can't discount that. We'll see if they're the type of team that can overcome getting smacked around by a very physical team. I don't think they are.

Latest posts