Aros' Fearless Prediction Thread (Seahawks @ Panthers)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Vegas implies a score of Seahawks 24 - Panthers 21 due to the over/under of 45 and spread of 3.

The Seahawks score is in line with what many think, but the Panthers score is higher than anybody has mentioned yet. Vegas is much higher on Carolina's scoring potential than we are, so what do they know that we don't (and vice versa)?

We do have injury/suspension issues on our defensive line. It may also be a hot and humid day, with a forecast right now of 91 degrees and 60% humidity. This would put extra pressure on depth and conditioning for a defense that already plays a lot of snaps by design. The "bend but not break" philosophy of Carroll's keeps everything in front of the defense and gives up yards and field goals in exchange for turnover opportunities and touchdowns. Recently the Panthers offense has done well against the spread when an underdog, but they have also done poorly in their season openers so those two may be a wash.

On the positive side, I haven't seen the 10 am factor affect our defense very much. This is purely subjective, but it seems to me that when we have struggled in these 10 am games it has mostly been our offense which did not click right away. I just re-watched the Panthers game from last year and our defense was great right off the bat.

I think the primary factor here is probably the weather, with Vegas expecting both offenses to take advantage of tired defenses in the second half.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Don't be stubborn Pete. Let Wilson loose.

Seahawks 23 - Panthers 13.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I want to believe we will win, but this is one of those games that I think will be one of those trap games. Tons of hype going into the season, on the road, 10am, against a mobile QB, we have a depleted D-line (this should not be underrated as much as it is around here), and 17 new faces on the roster. We may even see some nerves on special teams returns as we have a bunch of guys who aren't used to returning kicks.

Please prove me wrong, Seahawks. Every year I predict a win for you week 1, and it seems like I always start out my season predictions 0-1.

This year I would love to start out 0-1 because I'm switching things up.

Panthers 17
Seahawks 13

My Record to Date: 0-0

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Pros: Their offense will only have the first half while we wake up to get any points. If they're going to score at all it will be early.

Cons: Our pass pro will get eaten alive by that front 7. The Panthers strategy is to wear Wilson out because they know that our O-line can't protect him and they know what they've got in that front 7. They're licking their chops.

Pros: Marshawn Lynch

I think our gameplan should be we pound it down their throats early and often, trying to run the clock out in the first half. Come back at halftime with a close game and their body cycles up and running and then Wilson can wear THEM out chasing him.

Win or lose, we won't be out of this one, it will be close and low scoring unless special teams/turnovers say different.

Had to edit this: I'm not jinxing, but I really have a strong feeling that of all the times to get the dropsies, Kearse drops the kickoff for a Carolina recovery and we fall behind early. Wouldn't be surprised if the score is Carolina 17 Seattle 3 at halftime. Then we'll fight our way back in the second half.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that Pete learned his lesson about the slow starting stuff from our Atlanta game. If Papa Pete has shown us anything, it's that he learns to adjust. I am confident (half of that is hope, not expectation, I'll admit) that he has spoken with Bevell at length about this, and that we will be more aggressive at the start of games with our play calling.

...I hope...

kendog2639

Reaction score
It will be an ugly game and we will be losing at halftime... i think we rally in the second half but in the end falling short of a victory..

Carolina 20 Seattle 17

Man ill cry if im right :sarcasm_off:

AvengerRam

Reaction score
Since I pick all the NFC West games each week over on ClanRam, I may as well post my pick here as well:

Seahawks 31
Panthers 20

13thMan

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2wrfk7nq said:
This game scares the crap out of me and I think we're not much better than a coin flip to win. If it comes out as some ugly one-point win then I'll be very happy.

This.... particularly after seeing the Vegas line. I was thinking the Hawks would be like a TD favorite. Nope. -3.5 What does that mean exactly? It means that Vegas doesn't think that the Hawks are even a TD better than Carolina on a neutral field! Discouraging, but I guess the smart money is going to have to be convinced that this team can play on the road against decent/good teams before we start getting any more credit Vegas style...

Is it Sunday yet???

16-13 Hawks in a slopfest....

C-Dub

Reaction score
Carolina is in a world of hurt on offense. Cam is trying to learn a new offense, and he's had a lot of trouble so far. No surprise there. He'll be forced run more, since he'll have no one open. The only way this offense will move the chains is through Cam's scrambling ability. Their running backs won't top 40 yards total. The Seahawks' defense will hound this offense all day and force some turnovers (2 or 3 probably). Carolina won't be able to put more than one TD on the board.

On defense, Carolina will thrive against that thing Seattle calls an offensive line. There will be a lot of pressure, and the Kittens will get 3 or 4 sacks. However, it's not going to matter too much because Russell Wilson will extend play after play with his feet. Seattle will come out throwing, moving the chains, and this will open up the running game for Beast Mode as the game progresses. Seattle will be up at halftime 17-7, and the Hawks will continue to pound the rock inside as they down Carolina. Penalties will only be a minor issue for the line. Seahawks' turnovers will lead to 10 points. Tate, Lynch, and Chop Chop will find the endzone this week. Game ball will go to Beast Mode for his second half work in closing the game out.

Seahawks 27
Panthers 13

My Record to Date: 0-0

13thMan

Reaction score
kendog2639":158nm41e said:
It will be an ugly game and we will be losing at halftime... i think we rally in the second half but in the end falling short of a victory..

Carolina 20 Seattle 17

Man ill cry if im right :sarcasm_off:

I'm basically on the same page but, I think (hope?) somehow the Hawks can squeeze it out at the end... But yeah, it's gonna be ugly alright... of that I have no doubt.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
So the season begins. Quick start and then we start blowing them away towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

HAWKS........38

PANTHERS....13

Scores by all 3 of our units!

:thirishdrinkers:

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
New season, new team that's the best in the league. Don't care about 10 AM East Coast start, injuries, or whatever.

I believe this team is better than the Panthers any time any place.

Seahawks 24
Panthers 10

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm going against my superstitions. Last year, it seemd every time I guessed a Win, we lost. Every time I guessed a Loss, we won.

Carolina's secondary can't match up with our skill players. Kearse and Williams could start and produce good numbers. Wilson will be able to throw it over the heads of their talented front 7, forcing them to go Nickle, where we can run the ball.

Our pass pro is below average (which plays to the Panther's strengths) and I don't think our OL is physical enough to smashmouth this team. Pass pro actually plays to a strength for us, as Wilson is elite at avoiding pressure and getting production out of broken plays

On defense, we have a lot of questions marks about health and fitness, and what contributions younger guys can bring. Carolina can't really take too much advantage of this, as they are dinged at RB and haven't been running the ball well in preseason. We won't get much pass rush, but that's fine; you want Newton in the pocket. Our secondary is going to own their receivers, and it will be emberassing. The X factor is Newton. If we can contain him, this will be a beatdown.

Initially, I was only giving the Panthers 3 FGs. I will throw in a TD as our DL is a question mark now. I think we start slow, but Carolina is flawed enough that it won't matter.

Seahawks 26 (2 TDs, 4 FGs)
Panthers 16 ( 1 TD 3 FGs)........but I did want to say 9 !

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Yes! It is great to get reacquainted with Aros` Fearless Prediction Thread.
In perfect agreement with Barthawk, we win 24-13.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Ugly, ugly, ugly.

17-16, and I'm not sure who wins.

Cam maybe trying to learn a new offense but, for reasons already stated here by others, this will be a disjointed start to the season.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised to see a slow-ish first quarter, road game and all. But after that i see end of last season RW3 coming out and droppin bombs all over the Carolina D.

Seahawks over Carolina 24-14.