Appreciating Mr Wilson

Largent80

Reaction score
Whew, thanks. It is nice to know someone won't ever bullshit someone else.

We have ALL learned a valuable lesson here.

What I get from all the lectures is that Mr. Wilson is a kick ass QB, and we have him right now and hopefully forever.

Kaeperturkeys for ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1e8uarrm said:
He's a good QB, but straight up I'd rather have 2007 Hasselbeck.
Hm, yeah, Okay :roll: he'd be able to get the Receivers to catch those dropped passes that Wilson has thrown.
He'd also have as many or more interceptions than TD's, and more time on IR, but then again :D we'd have his backup (Wilson) to come in and do the job right.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2ttznkbq said:
MontanaHawk05":2ttznkbq said:
EntiatHawk":2ttznkbq said:
I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Brady and Manning might perform just fine, given good play design. Manning's excellence, especially, has always hinged upon getting the ball out quickly and using decisive reads to defeat pressure. Defensive blitzing creates mismatches, and elite QBs excel at finding those mismatches in the back seven.

That said...I can't imagine anyone has forgotten that Russell Wilson just carried us to a Super Bowl. And believe me, he did carry us. He's a young QB, still developing his ability to read and decide behind the line, but his legs and his awareness are enough to fill in meantime. He'll be incredible in a few years.

Yup, it was all Wilson...our Defense had nothing to do with it. (Yes, Dr Cooper, that is sarcasm.)
NO, NO, NO, Wilson is only there to take the blame, and NONE of the credit.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2uqni6uv said:
Largent80":2uqni6uv said:
Hey Spin Doctor, did you name yourself after the band, or is it that you are saying your viewpoint will always be different?

Hopefully the former in a very mild way, as that band wasn't much.

And being a "Spin Doctor" is someone that makes up bullshit stories. Or am I wrong on that?
I named myself this on a whim, I have a bad habit of giving myself terrible names. One time I signed up for a Dallas Cowboys board to talk football. I wanted to come off as non-threatening/non-trollish so I came up with the brilliant name "Seacockfan". :oops:
"Therrrrre's Your Sign"

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2fujoazl said:
Spin Doctor":2fujoazl said:
Hm, yeah, Okay :roll: he'd be able to get the Receivers to catch those dropped passes that Wilson has thrown.
He'd also have as many or more interceptions than TD's, and more time on IR, but then again :D we'd have his backup (Wilson) to come in and do the job right.
I don't think you remember Hasselbeck in 2007, he was truly an elite QB. His line was awful, he had mediocre receivers, no run game and his defense was inconsistent and mediocre. When Hasselbeck was healthy and in his prime he was force to be reckoned with in the NFL. In 2007 the Seahawks would've been a 4 win team at most in a weak division. That year the Seahawks led the NFL in drops as well.

What Hasselbeck did that Wilson didn't is throw receivers open, and pick up the blitz, he also got get rid of the ball much quicker than Wilson.

I really do not get the whole fad of calling Wilson "the best Seahawk QB ever". Hasselbeck in his prime was the better player.

hawk45

Reaction score
Always felt like we wasted a few years of Hasselbeck's prime after Hutch left with WRs that dropped everything in sight. He played at a very high level but it didn't show in the win column as much as it should have.

Love Wilson who has different strengths (pretty deep ball, legs) and different weaknesses (doesn't utilize the middle of the field as well, or beat a blitz as well, doesn't audible NEARLY as well, Hass was good for catching the D with their pants down at least once a game with a great audible leading to Mack Strong picking up a surprising gain).

But Wilson is still growing. And from the very beginning, Wilson has always been able to pull that clutch play or drive out of nowhere to win a game after struggling for 3.5 quarters. Can't be overstated, that quality.

Awesome to have watched a Zorn, Hass, and Wilson (Superbowl!!!) in my time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":28r7i308 said:
scutterhawk":28r7i308 said:
Spin Doctor":28r7i308 said:
I don't think you remember Hasselbeck in 2007, he was truly an elite QB. His line was awful, he had mediocre receivers, no run game and his defense was inconsistent and mediocre. When Hasselbeck was healthy and in his prime he was force to be reckoned with in the NFL. In 2007 the Seahawks would've been a 4 win team at most in a weak division. That year the Seahawks led the NFL in drops as well.

What Hasselbeck did that Wilson didn't is throw receivers open, and pick up the blitz, he also got get rid of the ball much quicker than Wilson.

I really do not get the whole fad of calling Wilson "the best Seahawk QB ever". Hasselbeck in his prime was the better player.
Hasselbeck had what? 5-7 years in the league while being s drop back passer right? I'm still following you......

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3qhgdr9b said:
scutterhawk":3qhgdr9b said:
Spin Doctor":3qhgdr9b said:

The fact you're comparing a QB in his what 9th/10th season to a 3rd yr QB says it all

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2l1mo090 said:
Spin Doctor":2l1mo090 said:
scutterhawk":2l1mo090 said:
Spin Doctor":2l1mo090 said:

Hasselbeck had what? 5-7 years in the league while being s drop back passer right? I'm still following you......

SO let me see

Hass in 2007 his best year
352/562, 62.6 Complt%, 3966 yards, 7.06 YPA, 28 tds, 12 ints, 2.3 td/int Qb rating 91.4, 89 rushing yards, 2.3 ypa, o tds in a passing offense

That's Elite really,

Lets Wilson on pace for 289/455 63.6 Complt%, 3244 yards, 7.13 YPA, 20, 6 ints , 2.8 td/int ratio, qb rating 93, 937 rushing yards, 6 tds in a running offense

So total yards form scrimmage Hass 3966, WIlson 4181, total TDs Hass 28, WIlson 26.

So basically Hass best year is as good as Wilson worse year.

Now if Wilson got Hass attempts were would we be

357/562, 63.6% complt%, 4007 yards, 7.13 ypa, 25 tds, 7 ints, 3.57 td/int ration, qb rating 93, 937 rushing yards, 6 tds
Really so Hass did better marginally but with more attempts in a pass happy offense.

Now oline lets look, I am going to compare rankings, not interested in a debate about how good or bad they are but we need something and these work since they were calculated the same way for both.

Wilson current oline pass blocking ranked 26th. Hass in 2007 18th HMM

Now lets see Hass best year came in his 9th year in the league and the ONE wants to compare that to a QB in his 3rd year. Really that pretty much proves my point about the ONE.

SO lets compare avg for career. For Hass we will through out year 1-2 since he did not play much but did get a lot of practice which helped. We will also ignore his last 2 as a back up.

Hass avg 1864 yards per year, complt% 60%, ypa 6.5, TDs 16, Ints 12, TD/int ratio 1.33, Qb rating 84(85 is considered avg), 100 rushing yards, .67 TDs

Wilson to date avg per year 3248 yards Complt% 63.6, YPA 7.82, 24 tds, 8 ints, 3.o td/into ratio, qb rating 98.5, 657 rushing yards, 4 tds

Hmm interesting again

So much for Hass debate.

Anthony!

Reaction score
TXHawk":zs78f45l said:
Spin Doctor":zs78f45l said:

Unless you have a time machine 2007 Hasselbeck isn't available.

Agreed not to mention you would only have him for 1 year and as I showed would not really be a step up at all.

Smellyman

Reaction score
TXHawk":3pf63xr5 said:
Spin Doctor":3pf63xr5 said:

Unless you have a time machine 2007 Hasselbeck isn't available.

even if possible, hopefully have a good backup cuz I don't see most qb's surviving behind this line a full season.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":6dob26dc said:
scutterhawk":6dob26dc said:
Spin Doctor":6dob26dc said:

That is YOUR opinion.
Mine is that Wilson is the best Athlete at QB this team has ever had. #2 was Zorn. IMO Hass was a good QB but never had that 'it' factor. He was very good for the system he was in. WC offense. Oh, and he had a much better pass-pro oline than Wilson ever has had. 2007 still had the mighty Walt protecting his blind side.
Spin Doctor, this thread is about appreciating Mr. Wilson. Not un-appreciating him. Why don't you start your own thread about Hass?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":hbcazq8o said:
LymonHawk":hbcazq8o said:
MontanaHawk05":hbcazq8o said:
EntiatHawk":hbcazq8o said:
I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Brady and Manning might perform just fine, given good play design. Manning's excellence, especially, has always hinged upon getting the ball out quickly and using decisive reads to defeat pressure. Defensive blitzing creates mismatches, and elite QBs excel at finding those mismatches in the back seven.

That said...I can't imagine anyone has forgotten that Russell Wilson just carried us to a Super Bowl. And believe me, he did carry us. He's a young QB, still developing his ability to read and decide behind the line, but his legs and his awareness are enough to fill in meantime. He'll be incredible in a few years.

Yup, it was all Wilson...our Defense had nothing to do with it. (Yes, Dr Cooper, that is sarcasm.)
NO, NO, NO, Wilson is only there to take the blame, and NONE of the credit.

Some of the credit...fine. But all of the credit? No.

ivotuk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":i3jke35t said:
EntiatHawk":i3jke35t said:

If only Russell Wilson had the kind of receivers that Manning has had. Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon was good, he had a really good TE and one of the best ever 3rd down receivers in the game...can't remember his name but he played for us for awhile.

While Brady has had good and bad players, he has mostly had good. Look at how his game was before and after Gronkowski. Plus he has a HOF coach.

But we can't compare Russell with Tom or Peyton, their skill sets are different. Getting a ball out quick is a lot easier when you're 6'4" and have big receivers to boot. Just because those guys can do something, doesn't mean Russell could or should be doing the same thing.

I doubt the short, quick passing game will ever be Russell's forte, but I really don't care either. He has excelled in getting the ball deep to his receivers and has a 64% completion rate for 7.8 yards per attempt since he came in to the NFL. That's not yards per completion, that's yards per attempted throw. He also has a 66 to 24 TD to INT ratio! That's almost 3 to 1! Oh, and he's broken all kinds of records. Not bad for a 5'11" "too short to play in the NFL" Quarterback.

Oh, and he also has 9 rushing touchdowns and 1,672 rushing yards for a 6.1 yard per attempt average. To be fair we must count in the 8 fumbles lost, but I can't help but mentioning that's while playing against NFCW defenses. :D

He has taken a beating, played injured, never lost a game by more than 7, is almost unbeatable at home, gets to the playoffs almost every year, not matter that his defense may be falling off or that he doesn't have any receivers or tight ends to speak of.

The man is absolutely amazing! They say great players elevate those around him, well it's true in Russell's case because he has elevated a bunch of average to below-average receivers and tight ends in to game winners.

I'm sitting here smiling because we have Russell Wilson, and imho, the only QB out there who has more magic is Aaron Rodgers. But he's getting old. :p

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":x8436rgl said:
Spin Doctor":x8436rgl said:
scutterhawk":x8436rgl said:
Spin Doctor":x8436rgl said:

That is exactly why we shouldn't say that Wilson is better than Hasselbeck at this point. Hasselbeck had more experience, and at the peak of his career he was talked about as being a top 3-5 QB even by national pundits. Too many people remember the old tired out Hasselbeck, not the guy that could completely take over games and dominate.