Appreciating Mr Wilson

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3m0pjktk said:
EntiatHawk":3m0pjktk said:
I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Brady and Manning might perform just fine, given good play design. Manning's excellence, especially, has always hinged upon getting the ball out quickly and using decisive reads to defeat pressure. Defensive blitzing creates mismatches, and elite QBs excel at finding those mismatches in the back seven.

That said...I can't imagine anyone has forgotten that Russell Wilson just carried us to a Super Bowl. And believe me, he did carry us. He's a young QB, still developing his ability to read and decide behind the line, but his legs and his awareness are enough to fill in meantime. He'll be incredible in a few years.

Good point on play design however if we had good play design I am sure Wilson would be doing even batter as well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":oeanxag7 said:
I know most here think Wilson is special but I really think he may be even more special than we think.

My thoughts are that those QB's like Brady and Manning are exceptional and are some of the all time best but their teams have been built specifically for them.

Russell is asked to make due with what he has and the team is build as a defensive team. This is asking Wilson to make do with some lesser components and play to the teams strength, defense and run the ball.

Part of this is that they have been a little bit snakebit in WR's they bring in. Rice was a perfect type of receiver for him except he could not stay on the field.

I even hate to say this, but just think how well Boldin would function on our team? We lack that receiver who is always open even when he is not. This is where Tate most fit the bill for us in that regards.

I just heard a Cris Carter interview and he was asked behind close doors in the ESPN war room what was the most common thing said of Wilson. Carter's response was (a little paraphrasing here) "Seattle could not live without him, he is underrated, the amount of plays he makes of the bad plays, free runners in the backfield, the RO where it was just Marshawns favorite play.."Blast (or whatever Seattle calls it)" and for Russell to keep it because he see something with the end closing too fast and know one knows, no one in the building knows, Darrell Bevell does not know. With that skill right there we think Russell is a phenomenal QB" (I guess this comes from the ESPN guys watching film and what they see.)

I think if we can get a decent line together and that one receiver that can compliment this group we may see some serious magic out of the offense.

Great post, spot on/

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He's a good QB, but straight up I'd rather have 2007 Hasselbeck.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Geez dude let it go. Is your only mission on the board to argue about Wilson? Just stop.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
austinslater25":1nheshbb said:
Geez dude let it go. Is your only mission on the board to argue about Wilson? Just stop.
So just because I have an unpopular stance means I should "stop"? Sorry buddy, I'm going to keep on doing my thing.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2tbjrwhm said:
EntiatHawk":2tbjrwhm said:
I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Brady and Manning might perform just fine, given good play design. Manning's excellence, especially, has always hinged upon getting the ball out quickly and using decisive reads to defeat pressure. Defensive blitzing creates mismatches, and elite QBs excel at finding those mismatches in the back seven.

That said...I can't imagine anyone has forgotten that Russell Wilson just carried us to a Super Bowl. And believe me, he did carry us. He's a young QB, still developing his ability to read and decide behind the line, but his legs and his awareness are enough to fill in meantime. He'll be incredible in a few years.

Yup, it was all Wilson...our Defense had nothing to do with it. (Yes, Dr Cooper, that is sarcasm.)

A

Anonymous

Hey Spin, I gotta jersey I'll sell ya.

From the sounds of things, you'll love it!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Largent80":hexvgdmd said:
HE wins regardless of anyones opinion.....

R90r8xU
Winning is a bad argument for a single players merits. Especially when said player has an elite running game, and elite defense to fall back on.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":19t5x1p3 said:
austinslater25":19t5x1p3 said:
So just because I have an unpopular stance means I should "stop"? Sorry buddy, I'm going to keep on doing my thing.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, maybe just this one time, in this thread let it go. We get it, we really really do.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":vnv7j4gc said:
Largent80":vnv7j4gc said:
HE wins regardless of anyones opinion.....

R90r8xU
Winning is a bad argument for a single players merits. Especially when said player has an elite running game, and elite defense to fall back on.
Yeah, but it beats the hell out of arguing the greatness of a QB who loses. Right?

2007 Hasselbeck? This is why your view is bankrupt. You take the single best year Hass had, and measure it against the first 2.5 years of Wilson's career. And statistically, Hasselbeck's BEST year is where Wilson's first year stacks up.

Go dig up Hasselbeck's first two plus years as a starter. Examine his first 40 games. Tell me how they stack up. Don't forget to count up his rushing yards and touchdowns.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3qa9jc3l said:
Spin Doctor":3qa9jc3l said:
With this o-line?

Wow. just freakin' wow.

2007 Hasselbeck HAD this o-line, skill-wise.

The big objection I have to 2007 Hasselbeck is that he'll turn into 2008 Hasselbeck.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hey Spin Doctor, did you name yourself after the band, or is it that you are saying your viewpoint will always be different?

Hopefully the former in a very mild way, as that band wasn't much.

And being a "Spin Doctor" is someone that makes up bullshit stories. Or am I wrong on that?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Largent80":3phc951y said:
Hey Spin Doctor, did you name yourself after the band, or is it that you are saying your viewpoint will always be different?

Hopefully the former in a very mild way, as that band wasn't much.

And being a "Spin Doctor" is someone that makes up bullshit stories. Or am I wrong on that?
I named myself this on a whim, I have a bad habit of giving myself terrible names. One time I signed up for a Dallas Cowboys board to talk football. I wanted to come off as non-threatening/non-trollish so I came up with the brilliant name "Seacockfan". :oops:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":256dz0yk said:
hawksfansinceday1":256dz0yk said:
Spin Doctor":256dz0yk said:
With this o-line?

Wow. just freakin' wow.

2007 Hasselbeck HAD this o-line, skill-wise.

The big objection I have to 2007 Hasselbeck is that he'll turn into 2008 Hasselbeck.
Yeah, Hasselbeck had a pretty bad O-Line. Anyone remember how Hasselbeck had to call out every players assignment because Spencer was completely inept as a center?