Anyone watching the NE-Philly game? How's Carter?

Scout

Reaction score
Haven't noticed but the Pats O is terrible.

Scout

Reaction score
Pats O is now coming alive and carving up the Eagles D.

Eagles look very mortal now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pass rushing DTs are rarely worth the premium in the NFL. The recent Lions game demonstrates this.
Because the refs allow holding, which negates great DT play. Maybe you draw a few holding calls, if you are lucky.
Most likely it is missed and you just have to hope the other guys you free up make plays instead.

A DE is out on the edge, so holds become obvious - forcing the refs to make the call. (or get raked over by the media the next day like the refs in Lions/Chiefs). Missing holds then become obvious and hard to ignore.

But DTs are much easier to hold without too many people noticing. So their impact gets blunted almost universally.
A good DT is important. But a great pass rushing DT isn't worth much more. You can just hold them until their tire out.

Scout

Reaction score
Wilkerson came through with a clutch sack to put the Chargers in a tough situation toward the end of the game to help seal the Dolphins victory over the Chargers today.

An interior DL that can rush in clutch situations is worth their weight in gold. I saw another glimpse of that with Kancey against Cousins today on a stunt before he went out with a calf strain at the start of the Bucs vs Vikes game.

James in PA

Reaction score
Carter had a big sack towards the end of the game that very well could've been the difference between a win and a loss for Philly. Yeah just more salt in the wound.

BASF

Reaction score
With less than a minute and only nineteen yards to go with two plays to take the lead, Carter sacked Jones forcing NE to take their final timeout.

Scout

Reaction score
Yeah losing out on Carter or Kancey might sting in the long run.

Rat

Reaction score
Carter tied for the most pressures by a rookie defender in the last five years. Passing on massive talent at our worst position because he looked lazy in one workout is going to look like all those teams that said "What about DK's three-cone?!?".

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not going to lose sleep over Carter, regardless of what happens. Same posters who hindsight bashed over McDowell are the ones who are going to conduct the Carter cryfest.

If Carter pans out, good for him, but the guy was the reddest flag who ever waved... and at DT, too.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carter tied for the most pressures by a rookie defender in the last five years. Passing on massive talent at our worst position because he looked lazy in one workout is going to look like all those teams that said "What about DK's three-cone?!?".
Carter had some huge red flags that shouldn’t just be glossed over. We could see him implode yet.

I also don’t think he was a great fit for Pete’s coaching style.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Carter had some huge red flags that shouldn’t just be glossed over. We could see him implode yet.

I also don’t think he was a great fit for Pete’s coaching style.
Brandon Mebane was highly successful DT and I'd lump in Red Bryant too. Other than those guys having success under Pete, I'm not sure which DT is a fit for Pete's style. Brandon and Red were not drafted by Pete Carroll.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't care if Carter winds up in the HOF. We did the right thing by passing on him. He was way too risky for a #5 overall.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brandon Mebane was highly successful DT and I'd lump in Red Bryant too. Other than those guys having success under Pete, I'm not sure which DT is a fit for Pete's style. Brandon and Red were not drafted by Pete Carroll.
I’m talking about Carters personality more than anything.