Watching the Games

Lagartixa

Reaction score
So maybe the escalating price is the "fans" fault (Is this what you are implying by saying; "mixed up cause and effect"?) Conversely, maybe it is the "owners" fault. That is completely irrelevant to my referenced post. What is relevant is that a washed up ME3 can command a quarter billion-dollar contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I say; "the collective NFL fan, is paying for Russell Wilson's inexplicable salary". Please inform me what is "mixed up" about that statement. Please explain how that is different from what you have just said and while you are at it, please explain the two opposing variants of "cause and effect". Elaborate the "mix-up", the "cause", and the "effect". Are you saying that the NFL is not passing these costs along to the consumer. That, instead, it is the consumer passing these inflated costs to the consumer? Is that what you are saying?

You presume the NFL is not greedy, but instead it is the adoring consumers that are bringing this upon themselves. OK. I'll buy into that. It only reinforces the fact that the league is on a perilous path. They owners can't even control their own prices. Those damned fans keep driving the ticket prices up and the owners are helpless to do anything about it. Regardless, that lack of control is not a good indicator with respect to long term economic health.

It's not a matter of somebody being at fault, and I certainly don't "blame" consumers. I also most certainly don't presume the NFL is not greedy. I'm just stating the facts about the economics of the markets in which the NFL participates.
The NFL and the various other companies that make money from NFL-related business or use advertising attached to NFL-related entertainment to attempt to attract revenue for their non-NFL-related businesses will charge as much as they possibly can for everything.
The NFL will charge as much as possible for its broadcast rights. Streaming platforms and radio and TV stations and networks will charge as much as possible for advertising on NFL games and other NFL-related programming. The teams and stadiums will charge as much as they can for tickets. Companies that sell NFL-related merchandise will charge as much as they can for it.
What decides how much they can charge is how much people are willing to pay. If they raise prices too high for the market, the loss in demand will outpace the per-unit gain from the last price increase, and their revenue, margin, and profit will fall.
What doesn't decide how much those things cost? Player salaries. Player salaries are a consequence of the current state of the market. The NFL and all the related businesses have raised prices to the current point, and they've found that their profits have been increasing. Further, as time has gone on, they've gotten better and better data and ways to analyze those data, so now there's quite a bit of science behind the pricing of all these things. They're not just taking a shot in the dark and seeing what they hit with price increases. They almost certainly have detailed probabilistic projections (that is, they're predicting a whole probability distribution over possible results, not just a point "most-likely" projection) of how much a given price increase will affect demand. And you can bet that they'll go with the result that maximizes profit. Different companies will prioritize different time windows over which profits would be maximized, but every one of them is trying to maximize profit over some time window.

With all this money moving around, it's NFL revenue that decides player salaries. The CBA specifies how much goes to player salaries. That's what I mean when I say you mixed up cause and effect. You had said
You pay for it in a systemic way because through broadcast and streaming rights, through ticket prices, the NFL is passing along all of these escalating salary structures to its consumer.

That's just not how it works. NFL teams and other NFL-related businesses don't raise prices to keep up with growing player salaries. NFL player salaries are determined by NFL revenues, as specified in the CBA.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Last season I used NFL+ for only $40 a year. I watched the games on my phone at home if I wasn't somewhere else. I'm not sure if you can use NFL+ on a smart TV, or mirror it from your phone to your TV. Either way, it was a great alternative to cable and I'll be using it again this upcoming season.

flv2

Reaction score
Last season I used NFL+ for only $40 a year. I watched the games on my phone at home if I wasn't somewhere else. I'm not sure if you can use NFL+ on a smart TV, or mirror it from your phone to your TV. Either way, it was a great alternative to cable and I'll be using it again this upcoming season.
You can get NFL+ on a PC. If your PC has an HDMI out socket, your tv has an HDMI in socket, and you have an HDMI lead then you can get NFL+ on your tv in HD. I have 2 PCs connected to tvs at my house and they're purely for streaming.

flv2

Reaction score
That makes a case for the need for an AI streaming app. Without an AI streaming app, is it really worth it to the general public to chase all the constantly changing schedules and business alignments content providers are demanding of the public?

We'll See!
I'm not against people paying for NFL+, YouTube, Amazon Prime, and/or a full tv package if they can afford it and want that convenience. I did that for many years. I'm merely providing information that will help some of the people see some of the games without breaking the bank. At worst it's an excellent Plan B for if/when Plan A goes down.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm not against people paying for NFL+, YouTube, Amazon Prime, and/or a full tv package if they can afford it and want that convenience. I did that for many years. I'm merely providing information that will help some of the people see some of the games without breaking the bank. At worst it's an excellent Plan B for if/when Plan A goes down.
If you live outside of the US, nfl gamepass / has better pricing depending on where you connect from...

Or so I've heard.

Mick063

Reaction score
It's not a matter of somebody being at fault, and I certainly don't "blame" consumers. I also most certainly don't presume the NFL is not greedy. I'm just stating the facts about the economics of the markets in which the NFL participates.
The NFL and the various other companies that make money from NFL-related business or use advertising attached to NFL-related entertainment to attempt to attract revenue for their non-NFL-related businesses will charge as much as they possibly can for everything.
The NFL will charge as much as possible for its broadcast rights. Streaming platforms and radio and TV stations and networks will charge as much as possible for advertising on NFL games and other NFL-related programming. The teams and stadiums will charge as much as they can for tickets. Companies that sell NFL-related merchandise will charge as much as they can for it.
What decides how much they can charge is how much people are willing to pay. If they raise prices too high for the market, the loss in demand will outpace the per-unit gain from the last price increase, and their revenue, margin, and profit will fall.
What doesn't decide how much those things cost? Player salaries. Player salaries are a consequence of the current state of the market. The NFL and all the related businesses have raised prices to the current point, and they've found that their profits have been increasing. Further, as time has gone on, they've gotten better and better data and ways to analyze those data, so now there's quite a bit of science behind the pricing of all these things. They're not just taking a shot in the dark and seeing what they hit with price increases. They almost certainly have detailed probabilistic projections (that is, they're predicting a whole probability distribution over possible results, not just a point "most-likely" projection) of how much a given price increase will affect demand. And you can bet that they'll go with the result that maximizes profit. Different companies will prioritize different time windows over which profits would be maximized, but every one of them is trying to maximize profit over some time window.

With all this money moving around, it's NFL revenue that decides player salaries. The CBA specifies how much goes to player salaries. That's what I mean when I say you mixed up cause and effect. You had said

That's just not how it works. NFL teams and other NFL-related businesses don't raise prices to keep up with growing player salaries. NFL player salaries are determined by NFL revenues, as specified in the CBA.
Agree to disagree.

You cannot convince me that the player salary structure is not passed to the consumer, whether directly or indirectly. That twenty bucks per game that folks are paying to YouTube for season ticket is most definitely subsidizing escalating player salaries. You would have a much better argument a couple of decades ago, but the threshold was crossed when folks were forced to become cable subscribers to get games. Now they are forced into becoming streaming subscribers for specific channels as well.

This isn't a matter of the NFL negotiating with networks for advertiser dependent/free-radio-wave broadcasts anymore. This has evolved into DIRECTLY CHARGING consumers for access to games. The genie is out of the bottle. Pay per view similar to watching a heavyweight boxing match.

Further, I want you to go back and read my posts and find a specific example where I said that player salaries dictated the market. I said that escalating costs are subsidizing player salary structures. Consumers are systemically being billed for escalating player salaries. That statement is true. That statement is absolutely true. Where, exactly, do you think player income is coming from? Just TV commercials? Think of it like this. Would the ownership of a given team pay any player a quarter billion dollars of their own personal money? Of course not. They are going to pay them with consumer money and advertiser money. That is why they don't bat an eye to pay ME3 a quarter billion dollars. Because it isn't their money. It is the advertiser's money, and it is YOUR money.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This isn't a matter of the NFL negotiating with networks for advertiser dependent/free-radio-wave broadcasts anymore. This has evolved into DIRECTLY CHARGING consumers for access to games. The genie is out of the bottle. Pay per view similar to watching a heavyweight boxing match.
I'm not sure what the difference is between YouTube charging $20/game for Sunday Ticket and DTV doing essentially the same thing but at a lower price. YouTube is using Sunday Ticket to entice customers to buy their premium packages just as DTV did when they had Sunday Ticket. We've had to 'pay' for MNF for a couple decades by virtue of having to buy a cable/satellite subscription vs. over the air 'free' broadcasts on network TV.

Unlike boxing's demise due to PPV (they actually called it closed circuit TV back then) in the 70's, there's still plenty of free football, including all the regional games, marquee type games featured on SNF, as well as the playoffs. The NFL isn't oblivious to what you referred to as "letting the genie out of the bottle." They won't make the same mistake boxing made.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
We'll See!

Greed has a long history of overwhelming everything else.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

You cannot convince me that the player salary structure is not passed to the consumer, whether directly or indirectly.

Then you haven't understood the economics of the NFL. The CBA specifies the salary cap in terms of revenues. That is, total salaries are a function of revenues.

You want the salaries to be driving price increases, possibly because you once heard a mediot blaming rising prices on salaries, but the way it actually works is the exact opposite of that. Price increases drive revenue changes (and as I said in the previous comment, teams and other companies that make money from NFL-related business are using some pretty sophisticated methods to predict the results of price changes on demand, so they have a pretty good idea of how much a given price increase will affect demand in the short-term future. That means that increasing prices are a sign that the companies involved have determined that demand is likely to increase, stay about the same, or decrease sufficiently little that even with the decrease in demand, revenue and profit will still increase.

But again, the CBA specifies the salary cap as a function of revenue, which is the exact opposite of how you want to believe it works.

That twenty bucks per game that folks are paying to YouTube for season ticket is most definitely subsidizing escalating player salaries. You would have a much better argument a couple of decades ago, but the threshold was crossed when folks were forced to become cable subscribers to get games. Now they are forced into becoming streaming subscribers for specific channels as well.

It's true that salaries rise with increasing revenues, and it's true that the companies involved are smart enough not to raise prices so much that overall revenue and profit are likely to decline, but the causality goes the opposite way from how you want it to work.

Prices influence demand. Demand and prices together determine revenues. As detailed in the CBA, the salary cap is determined as a percentage of revenues. There is no causality in the reverse direction.

OK, but again, price increases modify demand, and then demand and price together determine revenue. The salary cap is a function of revenue, which is a function of prices, so salaries depend on the prices of things, not vice-versa.
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.
The fact that companies have raised prices, and that this is very likely to lead to increases in the salary cap, means that increasing prices are driving increasing salaries, and not the opposite.

Further, I want you to go back and read my posts and find a specific example where I said that player salaries dictated the market.

That's not what I said you had said. I said you had said...
You pay for it in a systemic way because through broadcast and streaming rights, through ticket prices, the NFL is passing along all of these escalating salary structures to its consumer.

And then I said that that's the opposite of how it actually works. I then explained how rising prices drive the rising salary cap, and not vice-versa.

I'm not disagreeing with you saying that the NFL is getting too expensive to follow for some people. That's true. But those price increases are happening because the companies involved believe they'll increase their profits even if gridiron football gets to be too expensive for working-class people to follow. The players and their salaries are not responsible for this. Exactly the opposite, in fact. The increases in player salaries are the result of increasing revenues and the fact that, as described in the CBA, the salary cap is calculated as a function of revenue.

I said that escalating costs are subsidizing player salary structures. Consumers are systemically being billed for escalating player salaries. That statement is true.

No it isn't. The salary cap depends on revenue, and revenue depends on price, both indirectly through demand being a function of price and directly through revenue being a function of price and demand. So price changes drive changes in the salary cap, and not vice-versa.

That statement is absolutely true. Where, exactly, do you think player income is coming from? Just TV commercials? Think of it like this. Would the ownership of a given team pay any player a quarter billion dollars of their own personal money? Of course not. They are going to pay them with consumer money and advertiser money.

Yes. And the amount of that money that they pay to players is fixed by the CBA. Prices determine revenues, and then, as spelled out in Article 12 of the 2020 CBA (and corresponding sections of previous CBAs), the salary cap is a function of revenue. So prices affect revenues, and then revenues affect salaries. Salaries rise because prices increased, the price increases were not big enough for the loss of demand to outstrip the increase in prices, so the pool of money available for player salaries got bigger.

That is why they don't bat an eye to pay ME3 a quarter billion dollars. Because it isn't their money. It is the advertiser's money, and it is YOUR money.

Yes. It is. But the amount they can pay the players depends on prices. Prices for the different things that contribute to NFL revenue are not set as a function of salaries. The salary cap is set as a function of revenue.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If you live outside of the US, nfl gamepass / has better pricing depending on where you connect from...

Or so I've heard.

Can confirm. I live in Brazil and this year, I'll be paying R$384.90 for NFL Game Pass. At the exchange rate American Express gave me on what I spent yesterday, that would be about US$80. The exact dollar amount I'll actually pay will depend on the exchange rate when it's billed, which will be on August 1.