Watching the Games

Termite

Reaction score
So I've been getting Sunday Ticket for years for free because of my longevity with DIRECTV. Now it looks very expensive on YouTube. Any ideas for an alternative to watching the games? I am out of area.

Mick063

Reaction score
I wish I could give you some good advice on this. I know it probably isn't much of an option for most folks, but I tend to abandon consumer products that price themselves out of affordability. For example, I would not contemplate, not for one second, to purchase a ticket to see a live game. When that inflated cost extends itself into the broadcast market, then it is time for me to find a new favorite past time. Certainly, I can afford it. The reason I can afford it is because I have adopted a sensible lifestyle of understanding relative value. I know when I am getting my money's worth.

Look what Denver paid Russell Wilson. Now ponder that the NFL is a shared revenue league that abides by a salary cap. Without going into a drawn-out explanation, I will just summarize that in the end, it is you, the collective NFL fan, that is paying for Russell Wilson's inexplicable salary. Even though he plays for Denver. You pay for it in a systemic way because through broadcast and streaming rights, through ticket prices, the NFL is passing along all of these escalating salary structures to its consumer.

What is currently happening at ESPN is a narrative of the future for the NFL. At some point, when profitability saturation has been reached, and because it typically isn't immediately realized, a sudden shock of reality will inevitably occur. Having been in business for myself on a couple of occasions, I will tell you the most memorable sage business warning I ever heard. "You can be broke a year before you even know it". No, the NFL will not go broke. But you will see "restructuring" and that will never be in the best interest of fans. Meaning they won't self-reflect for the root cause of declining profit, just find another avenue to maximize it. In other words, make the fan experience even more frustrating.

The NFL is pricing itself out of business. New "firsts" every year. For example, a streaming subscription to a specific channel required just to watch a playoff game. This is akin to the "Jurassic Park" raptors testing the fence for weakness. I can see the direction that this bus is headed. I have mentally accepted that my fandom is not sustainable along that path. I am very close to reaching the threshold for abandoning the sport.

Last edited:

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
For years I streamed it from a certain site but the NFL has cracked down and its become harder and harder to find sites that stream the games. I just went ahead and bought the Youtube NFL ticket only deal. It works out to about 20 bucks a game and takes the stress away each sunday trying to find a streaming site.

pmedic920

Reaction score
For years I streamed it from a certain site but the NFL has cracked down and its become harder and harder to find sites that stream the games. I just went ahead and bought the Youtube NFL ticket only deal. It works out to about 20 bucks a game and takes the stress away each sunday trying to find a streaming site.
And that’s the “deal” literally.
My philosophy as well is to break the cost down on a “per game” basis.

SundayTicket on DTV and now on Youtube TV certainly is expensive and out of reach for some folks but I bite the bullet and do it.
Per game it’s not bad, and I can swing it.
I know folks that stream/pirate TV and sporting events but it seems there is always something interfering or bad picture etc.

Not worth the headache IMO.

PLEASE ALL, keep in mind that we can not promote any shady streaming/pirating here at .net.
Any conversation along these lines needs to be via PM ONLY. PLEASE refrain from even the suggestion “I got you” and just send a PM.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I wish I could give you some good advice on this. I know it probably isn't much of an option for most folks, but I tend to abandon consumer products that price themselves out of affordability. For example, I would not contemplate, not for one second, to purchase a ticket to see a live game. When that inflated cost extends itself into the broadcast market, then it is time for me to find a new favorite past time. Certainly, I can afford it. The reason I can afford it is because I have adopted a sensible lifestyle of understanding relative value. I know when I am getting my money's worth.

Look what Denver paid Russell Wilson. Now ponder that the NFL is a shared revenue league that abides by a salary cap. Without going into a drawn-out explanation, I will just summarize that in the end, it is you, the collective NFL fan, that is paying for Russell Wilson's inexplicable salary. Even though he plays for Denver. You pay for it in a systemic way because through broadcast and streaming rights, through ticket prices, the NFL is passing along all of these escalating salary structures to its consumer.

What is currently happening at ESPN is a narrative of the future for the NFL. At some point, when profitability saturation has been reached, and because it typically isn't immediately realized, a sudden shock of reality will inevitably occur. Having been in business for myself on a couple of occasions, I will tell you the most memorable sage business warning I ever heard. "You can be broke a year before you even know it". No, the NFL will not go broke. But you will see "restructuring" and that will never be in the best interest of fans. Meaning they won't self-reflect for the root cause of declining profit, just find another avenue to maximize it. In other words, make the fan experience even more frustrating.

The NFL is pricing itself out of business. New "firsts" every year. For example, a streaming subscription to a specific channel required just to watch a playoff game. This is akin to the "Jurassic Park" raptors testing the fence for weakness. I can see the direction that this bus is headed. I have mentally accepted that my fandom is not sustainable along that path. I am very close to reaching the threshold for abandoning the sport.
This is why I stopped watching games on TV, it's not worth the price. I'd rather stack my cash and invest in my hobbies. With my time also, I'd rather invest in something productive (for me). Along with the quality of the product going down, its just too much.

Honestly, I get the majority of updates from here. People here are just as knowledgable as any schmuck they stick behind a mic. It's just a game and it can only be disected in so many ways, no need for any sort of pedigree. I value the opinion of fellow Hawk fans (even if I disagree) over some roodypoo on tv. Granted I only follow the Hawks and everything else can kick rocks. Besides, ya'll are just an interesting cast of characters and the entertainment is free.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
So I've been getting Sunday Ticket for years for free because of my longevity with DIRECTV. Now it looks very expensive on YouTube. Any ideas for an alternative to watching the games? I am out of area.
Sports bars. Find a place that makes food you like. I figure if I'm going to spend the equivalent of dinner to see a game, I might as well have dinner while I'm seeing the game.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Last football season was my first with YTTV got it mostly for college football in my area (SEC) I cancelled after the Super Bowl and will reactivate in September I will probably get Sunday Ticket. IMO $20 a week isn’t bad

RiverDog

Reaction score
Doesn't NFL Network re-broadcast every game during the course of the following week? I know it's not the same as watching it live, but it could be an option if YouTube has priced you out of the market. Sirius XM radio broadcasts all the games live, again not the same as watching it on TV, but an option nonetheless.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I agree with Blue Talon. Working for the Navy, I tend to get sent to out-of-market places during football season. I watch the games at some sports bar or another while imbibing limited numbers of barley pops so I can still make it back to the apt or whatever afterwards. I generally like to find a sports bar I can walk to - when I'm sent to San Diego, I stay on Coronado Island. On gameday I take the foot ferry to the Convention Center, then wander a few blocks to the GasLamp Tavern where they have plenty of TVs and have all the games on. This year I'm getting sent to Norfolk VA for almost the entire season (including preseason) so I'll need to find a sports bar after I figure out where I'm staying.

Mick063

Reaction score
Do people know why polo is a "rich man's sport"? Because only rich people watch it. The NFL didn't start like polo. The NFL started like baseball. What do I mean by that?
The typical dad could buy tickets for his two young sons and take them to the game. He could buy them hot dogs and a coke. The youth would see their peers, other sons, in the stands, with their dads, and understand that this was more than football. This was memory building culture that cemented family interaction as a part of fandom. Fandom ritually passed from one generation to the next. When I hear people lament about the destruction of family, rarely do I hear them broach the topic of being priced out of such family reinforcing venues. What I do see is a growing class of people that are increasingly angry, but they can't put their finger on exactly why. Maybe it is because they can't afford to do with their children, what their own father did with them?

This has bled down to all levels of sport. To all of you that relive childhood memories of "pickup" games at the local park, try to understand that the parks are empty now. Why? Because organized youth sports have become the new vehicle for childhood play. Those "pickup" games have evolved into a parental entry fee. Leagues have to be created, uniforms have to be purchased, referees have to be hired and it doesn't stop with the initial purchase. Travel costs have to be incurred. Chaperons are required. The kids didn't invent this environment. The obsessed parents did. Otherwise, the kids would be at the park playing pickup games. In summary, youth sports are evolving into a "rich mans" sport. Like polo. Do you know why polo is a "rich man's sport" Because only rich people watch it.

A growing class of people are becoming disfranchised with organized sport because it is becoming increasingly inaccessible with each generation due to cost. Of course, organized sport will never die. There will always be a market for it. On the other hand, you rarely hear a couple of common laborers talking about the chances of the New Zealand racing sailboat winning the America's Cup.

People must still have their affordable entertainment venues. Where can they find them? Well, one place they can find them is on their computers and on their phones. Don't laugh at computer games. Did you know that the band Aerosmith made more money from the video game titled "Rock Band" than they did from all of their album sales combined? If you want to point your finger at a contributor to the destruction of family bonding, perhaps we can start with the concept of affordable entertainment. No, this isn't the fault of electronic gaming itself. It is the fact that electronic gaming has replaced fandom as affordable entertainment. That.....is the issue. Not the games themselves. The affordability. The disconnect comes from dad being clueless and disinterested about this new form of electronic entertainment and relegates it to something just for kids. So, dad watches the football game at the stadium with his adult friends, because the tickets are too prohibitively expensive to take his kids. Meanwhile his kid is at home playing the latest popular, affordable computer game that his dad has never even heard about.

Wherever popular, affordable entertainment finds a home, the money grubbers are soon on their way to exploit it and inevitably destroy it. Computer game lovers know what I'm talking about. Micro transactions have become the new norm in the gaming world. Like fandom for organized sports, it won't be long until this new form of entertainment will price itself out of business as well. Then another affordable form of entertainment will rise, capturing the interest of another generation, until the money grubbers exploit that entertainment venue into unaffordability as well.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
Alcohol is a powerful substance.
I prefer an indica/sativa hybrid. I once wrote a functional 10,000-line computer program under such influence. As a hobby. I'll pit my debugging skills, while being high, against just about anyone.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I prefer an indica/sativa hybrid. I once wrote a functional 10.000-line computer program under such influence. As a hobby. I'll pit my debugging skills, while being high, against just about anyone.
That's a good answer sir.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

You've mixed up cause and effect. The NFL is not passing along the escalating salary structures to the consumer. The consumers are creating huge amounts of revenue, supporting the current prices for subscriptions, the current advertising rates for NFL games, the current prices for tickets, and the current prices for merchandise. The collective bargaining agreement forces the NFL to pass a specific fraction of that escalating revenue to the players.

If the NFL owners could freeze salaries right now, that would not keep them from continuing to raise prices.

Ruminator

Reaction score
It does suck relocating out of the broadcast market, especially when you used to watch all Seahawk games for 30+ years. I am relegated to the occasional nationally televised game, and for all the others, catching the recaps on NFL Network.

Mick063

Reaction score
You've mixed up cause and effect. The NFL is not passing along the escalating salary structures to the consumer. The consumers are creating huge amounts of revenue, supporting the current prices for subscriptions, the current advertising rates for NFL games, the current prices for tickets, and the current prices for merchandise. The collective bargaining agreement forces the NFL to pass a specific fraction of that escalating revenue to the players.

If the NFL owners could freeze salaries right now, that would not keep them from continuing to raise prices.
I have the following ticket stub taped inside of my high school annual.

KISS
Spokane Coliseum
Day of show $6.50
Thursday 8:00 p.m.
Feb'ry 12, 1976

I guess I'm stuck in the past. There is no way in hell that I'm going to fork out five hundred bucks for a nosebleed seat to watch a football game. Sure, I can afford it. That isn't the point.

So maybe the escalating price is the "fans" fault (Is this what you are implying by saying; "mixed up cause and effect"?) Conversely, maybe it is the "owners" fault. That is completely irrelevant to my referenced post. What is relevant is that a washed up ME3 can command a quarter billion-dollar contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I say; "the collective NFL fan, is paying for Russell Wilson's inexplicable salary". Please inform me what is "mixed up" about that statement. Please explain how that is different from what you have just said and while you are at it, please explain the two opposing variants of "cause and effect". Elaborate the "mix-up", the "cause", and the "effect". Are you saying that the NFL is not passing these costs along to the consumer. That, instead, it is the consumer passing these inflated costs to the consumer? Is that what you are saying?

You presume the NFL is not greedy, but instead it is the adoring consumers that are bringing this upon themselves. OK. I'll buy into that. It only reinforces the fact that the league is on a perilous path. They owners can't even control their own prices. Those damned fans keep driving the ticket prices up and the owners are helpless to do anything about it. Regardless, that lack of control is not a good indicator with respect to long term economic health.

Last edited:

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
You might be able to VPN and Game Pass via DAZN. I used it for years (albeit w/o DAZN, which is new this for ‘23) because I was either overseas or living/renting somewhere without a decent line of site. You still have to subscribe, but last I checked it was half the price of the US based package.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I have the following ticket stub taped inside of my high school annual.

KISS
Spokane Coliseum
Day of show $6.50
Thursday 8:00 p.m.
Feb'ry 12, 1976

I guess I'm stuck in the past. There is no way in hell that I'm going to fork out five hundred bucks for a nosebleed seat to watch a football game. Sure, I can afford it. That isn't the point.

So maybe the escalating price is the "fans" fault (Is this what you are implying by saying; "mixed up cause and effect"?) Conversely, maybe it is the "owners" fault. That is completely irrelevant to my referenced post. What is relevant is that a washed up ME3 can command a quarter billion-dollar contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I say; "the collective NFL fan, is paying for Russell Wilson's inexplicable salary". Please inform me what is "mixed up" about that statement. Please explain how that is different from what you have just said and while you are at it, please explain the two opposing variants of "cause and effect". Elaborate the "mix-up", the "cause" and the "effect". Are you saying that the NFL is not passing these costs along to the consumer. That, instead, it is the consumer passing these inflated costs to the consumer? Is that what you are saying?

You presume the NFL is not greedy, but instead it is the adoring consumers that are bringing this upon themselves. OK. I'll buy into that. It only reinforces the fact that the league is on a perilous path. They owners can't even control their own prices. Those damned fans keep driving the ticket prices up and the owners are helpless to do anything about it. Regardless, that lack of control is not a good indicator with respect to long term economic health.
That’s Crazy!

I was at that concert.
Was my first rock concert.
I remember wanting to go the time they were in Spokane previously but my mom wouldn’t let me. This show was just a few months later IIRC less than a year.

flv2

Reaction score
Deep sigh.

8 of the Seahawks 1st 16 games of 2023 are scheduled to be on FOX. The FOX tv broadcast also airs on the FOX.com website. That website is free-to-air. What tv feed you get on the FOX website depends on your IP address. If you watch using a Seattle IP address you will get the Seattle tv feed. If you have a VPN that has a Seattle IP address you should be able to watch those games for free. Technically you only get 1 hour free. However, if you close your internet browser and flush the DNS cache it will wipe the counter history and your free hour will immediately reset. (This is best done at the end of each quarter). To flush the DNS cache:
1) Close your browser, any open tabs, bookmarks etc.
2) On a Windows10 machine press the Windows Key and X at the same time.
3) Select Command Prompt from the option screen.
4) Type: ipconfig/flushdns
5) Hit Enter.
6) Re-open your browser and go back to the FOX website. That's it!

If you don't have a VPN with a Seattle IP I suggest you get 1. Alternatively you can set your VPN to Los Angeles and get 12 Rams games for free ;). Feel free to test IP locations with FOX and the DNS clearance procedure at your leisure.

Additionally if you have uBlock Origin or a similar ad/element blocker I recommend you add these custom blocks:
www.fox.com##.container__28fDd
www.fox.com##.previewPass__1tXiW
www.fox.com###credential_picker_container

Jville

Reaction score
Deep sigh.

8 of the Seahawks 1st 16 games of 2023 are scheduled to be on FOX. The FOX tv broadcast also airs on the FOX.com website. That website is free-to-air. What tv feed you get on the FOX website depends on your IP address. If you watch using a Seattle IP address you will get the Seattle tv feed. If you have a VPN that has a Seattle IP address you should be able to watch those games for free. Technically you only get 1 hour free. However, if you close your internet browser and flush the DNS cache it will wipe the counter history and your free hour will immediately reset. (This is best done at the end of each quarter). To flush the DNS cache:
1) Close your browser, any open tabs, bookmarks etc.
2) On a Windows10 machine press the Windows Key and X at the same time.
3) Select Command Prompt from the option screen.
4) Type: ipconfig/flushdns
5) Hit Enter.
6) Re-open your browser and go back to the FOX website. That's it!

If you don't have a VPN with a Seattle IP I suggest you get 1. Alternatively you can set your VPN to Los Angeles and get 12 Rams games for free ;). Feel free to test IP locations with FOX and the DNS clearance procedure at your leisure.

Additionally if you have uBlock Origin or a similar ad/element blocker I recommend you add these custom blocks:
www.fox.com##.container__28fDd
www.fox.com##.previewPass__1tXiW
www.fox.com###credential_picker_container

That makes a case for the need for an AI streaming app. Without an AI streaming app, is it really worth it to the general public to chase all the constantly changing schedules and business alignments content providers are demanding of the public?

We'll See!

Last edited:

Latest posts