Anybody else like Houston Sunday Night?

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Appreciate all the varied responses. Not sure what I might do, wager wise. I am backing Houston, obviously. Albeit I have nothing riding on the financially, I had either Houston or Cincy slotted as the AFC representative facing Seattle in the Super Bowl going into this season. And while Houston has underperformed, it has only been 4 of 16 games. I still believe they can make a serious run. We beat a damn good team on Sunday that racked up a shitload of yardage on us in the process. I don't think their spirit is broken. As professionals, I think they realize they had us on the ropes and needed ONE more play with several opportunities to accomplish that.

The Niners can not be counted on to run consistently and successfully nor pass successfully and consistently. I think the Texans are capable of both.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":y0qdtiyr said:
+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)

Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":1r6ehzd0 said:
bestfightstory":1r6ehzd0 said:
+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)

Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?

I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1kjmkmsx said:
CallMeADawg":1kjmkmsx said:
bestfightstory":1kjmkmsx said:

Screenshot or it didnt happen.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":iucocpg2 said:
bestfightstory":iucocpg2 said:
CallMeADawg":iucocpg2 said:
bestfightstory":iucocpg2 said:

Screenshot or it didnt happen.

Tell him that.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Nobody wins $16,000 on a single investment without some sort of proof!

HawkWow

Reaction score
I've had time to rethink my position on your (potential) bet, BFS. And I'm thinking of the old adage..."sometimes you just have to go with your gut", and how that misnomer gets most in trouble. A pro goes with value.

As of now, I see SF's D and Kaep's legs pulling out the win. And I know I am heavily influenced by the additional rest SF was awarded, as well.

But at -260, I don't think the teams are that far apart. Kaep may not use his legs, he may krap the bed.

GB and Indy moved the ball on SF's D, so Schaub and Houston can too.

So really, SF's big advantage is rest and HFA (if their fans are in their seats and not out back killing people).

I think -260 is good value. So win or lose, it's a good play (IMO).

Sac

Reaction score
SF is a joke. I think football outsiders has their defense ranked around 18 by DVOA after 4 weeks, and their offense is only marginally better.

Houston is a much more efficient team.

SF has crap for corners, and no receiving threats outside of Boldin who is a high end #2 at best. Willis has a hammy thing, Davis has a hammy thing and Aldon is in rehab.

Texans are going to blow them out.

hawker84

Reaction score
Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

Houston 23
Whiners 13

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawker84":2elq0a0l said:
Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

Houston 23
Whiners 13

This may well be an example of a diminishing HFA.

1) the Niner fans just suck, in general. Their hopes already dashed, they may not bring their A game.

2) the weather will be very pleasant for the visiting Humid-Houston Texans

3) Most importantly, with the chaos surrounding Schaub and the team at home, there couldn't be a better time for a road trip. I sincerely believe Schaub (in particular) will be less stressed playing away, than home. A road win and he and the team go back to a hero's welcome. I expect them to play hard but loose on Sunday. I predict Cushing is going to be in Kaeps wheelhouse the majority of SF's offensive snaps. SF has a great line, for sure, but Cushing has Watt to tear open entry points. Can't wait.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.

HawkWow

Reaction score
rideaducati":182epu1y said:
The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.

Great points. On paper, this game shouldn't be that close. But I worry about Foster. I think Kubiak should bump Tate to #1 this week. Even this early in the season, this is a very crucial game for both opponents. I expect Harbaugh to do whatever necessary to win, including running Kaep into the dirt. That said, Kubiak should take the same approach.

The best bet (IMO) is to set up the run with short passes. Then run Tate into the dirt, using a likely angry Foster to spell him. Keep the ball away from SF and keep the crowd out of the game. I'm liking Houston's chances more by the day. Cushing needs to play a role similar to how Switzer used the Boz at Oklahoma. Just mirror Kaep because I don't believe Gore is going to beat Houston. If SF is going to win, it will have to be with Kaeps legs, IMO.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Carmon1274":1uek42yy said:
This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.

I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
HawkWow":10y5v438 said:
Carmon1274":10y5v438 said:

I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.

Right Im not a niner fan.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just think it is way too early to determine that the Niners suck. They still have a monster of an OLine, Vernon Davis and a QB who can win with his legs if he can't find Boldin and Davis.

I suppose we will know more this week. If the Hawks can steal another road win as beat up as they are and the Niners lose, I will be on board with the Niners sucking. But I think the Niners are going to get a MUCH needed win. It doesn't matter if the Hawks lose, the Niners have to win this game or they are in a lot of trouble early. To get under 500 with 5 games would be a massive blow. I hope that I am totally wrong and that Houston destroys SF.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I'm thinking this game might end up being a 'no-play' for me. Not because I am discouraged by Houston, but because I remain uncertain and I am about to board a flight to Indianapolis and I don't know when I will be sober enough to think clearly about this.

I heard on sports radio this morning that HALF of Kaepernick's production came in the very first game. From a gambling standpoint, I guess I'd say the smart money might be on Houston WITH the points, but I still think they win outright.

Largent80

Reaction score
bestfightstory":158wfkpt said:
CallMeADawg":158wfkpt said:
bestfightstory":158wfkpt said:

:lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't bet on this one. Two unpredictable teams in must win situations.