Another Solid Win and other Quick Hits

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
First off, as a Seahawks diehard (Original 12) and Aviation Nut, I was besides myself with those EA-18G Growler's flying over the stadium at the end of the anthem...Awesome way to kick off the game!

This game went almost identical to my expectations going in, which is usually pretty rare. The Eagles have a really good team and despite the outcome, I thought it showed overall. Wentz is going to be a great QB for them in the coming years and they have a very good defense. What surprised me most was just how good their OL was. I mean Wentz had a clean pocket where he was baking cookies back there all game long.

Players on both sides were dropping like flies today. Injuries are really prominent this season for most teams, it seems to me more than usual. And what the hell is going on with the kickers this year? 11 missed extra points today...

...Only 8 ALL YEAR last season!

That's pretty amazing. I tried to blame the long snapper today for Haush' issues but I can't. The extra point attempt in the first quarter was simply line penetration and a legit block. I haven't watched the missed FG yet on TV (I'm currently into the beginning of the 3rd quarter) but I just think it's an off year all around for kickers, Stephen included.

It's so nice to see Russ returning to full health. I don't know where he is on the health percentage but he's clearly as close to 100% as he's been since Week 1. Look, I spend a lot of time vilifying Bevell but he deserves props today. He called that play Baldwin was in his ear about over the past two or three weeks where Baldwin throws to Wilson. Couldn't have drawn it up better. They could have checked out of the play but they saw the formation they needed to see to make it happen, they called it and Baldwin is now perfect in throwing TDs and Wilson is now perfect in catching TDs. ;)

Defense was legit throughout. A lot of great plays but I am still wondering if Bennett's absence is a primary reason for all the yards they are giving up this year (We went from #1 defense in the league early in the year to #9 currently) but they were still giving up gobs of yards even when Bennett was playing. Part of it is likely injuries, part of it is scheme, bend-but-don't-break philosophy, etc., but there's a tangible here I am missing. As good as this defense still is, something is "off" this year.

What a shame to lose Prosise! He was having such a great run these past two games, it seemed like it was going to be an unstoppable tandem with Rawls and Prosise. Apparently the Football Gods find it too unfair to have both healthy on the field at the same time. What a shame. Hope Shead and Thomas' hammy's are not the severe variety.

Something is off at CLink these days. It's just not as crazy loud as it used to be. Is it still louder than most stadiums? No doubt. But we have high standards here and I don't think those standards have been met this year so far. If Volume 12 is Playoff NFCCG-type decibel levels, and Volume 10 is ear-achey, can't hear the person next to you without shouting loud, I would say we have only been hitting Volume 6 to 8 all year. Not sure why that is. I really don't like calling out the loudest fans in the NFL, but it's something I am acutely aware of each and every game this season. Complacency? Opponents/competition not being as sexy as others? I really can't quantify it, but it's been obvious to me.

WAKE UP 12'S!!!!

Every team in the NFC West lost today but us. Ahhhh, just like old times again.

Damn Cowboys. Even if it turns out to be a Seahawks / Cowboys NFCCG in Dallas, the good news is we are battle tested, that stadium is a neutral field in terms of fans/environment and does not intimidate us in the least, AND the Cowboys have not faced any real adversity or great teams all year long. That could change if we meet in January.

Great win Hawks! Let's keep this train rollin' into February!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thanks Aros. Good info. And I thought the crowd was quiet at critical times too. 3rd down plays were not always deafening, they tailed off

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah man like I said, I can't really quantify it...It's not like we still aren't the loudest fans in the NFL, but that's not saying much these days as the competition isn't even close any ways but high standards have been set here and I don't know if it's complacency/aloofness/apathy from fans that simply are grown accustomed to winning or what.

Look at last week in New England. Comments were made how quiet the Pats fans were overall. Is this what happens to fans when they assume victory 100% of the time? Why scream your guts out when you can sit there, text, selfie, drink, eat and be merry, knowing the win is a certainty?

Rob12

Reaction score
Were you two at the game today or judging from the broadcast? I was there and it was loud in 241. But I do think the noise has dropped off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rob12":1uems4zw said:
Were you two at the game today or judging from the broadcast? I was there and it was loud in 241. But I do think the noise has dropped off a bit.

I was there and I have been a STH since 1997. So I have a pretty good gauge on fluctuating volume levels every game.

My comments are meant on a general level, not personal level. I am quite sure there are thousands of 12's that tear their lungs out every game like I do, regardless of record or opponent. Some sections are most definitely louder than others, that's just the way it is, but my comments reflect the global volume level in the stadium.

chris98251

Reaction score
Get rid of the White collar social club and the noise will go back up.

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":jnrs6pfb said:
Rob12":jnrs6pfb said:

I was there and I have been a STH since 1997. So I have a pretty good gauge on fluctuating volume levels every game.

My comments are meant on a general level, not personal level. I am quite sure there are thousands of 12's that tear their lungs out every game like I do, regardless of record or opponent. Some sections are most definitely louder than others, that's just the way it is, but my comments reflect the global volume level in the stadium.

Yeah, fair enough Todd. Sadly, I agree with you. I've been to at least 10 games since 2010 (live in the Walla Walla area so it's tough for me to get to games) and the noise has slowly but surely decreased. I remember the opening Thursday night game in 2014 against the Packers - when the SB banner was unveiled - and it was ear damaging loud. I remember worrying that my ears would never stop ringing the whole drive home. I honestly think I lost some hearing that day. It was awesome.

The environment is still great, but the more I think about it, the more I know you're right. I don't know what to attribute it to, really. I look around and see a lot of people in their early 20's and the game seems to be more of a social event to them. Selfies, texting... Three years ago, the entire stadium was on their feet the whole time the Hawks were on defense. Today, it was about a third. And my ears didn't ring once on the way home.

I think the Hawks turning into a Juggernaut has spoiled so many.

Seahawk

Reaction score
It is Procisely because the 12s are so loud that you can no longer hear them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Turning into the NE crowd ? Expecting to win now?

Tough to say.

My quick hits from this game are I'm worried about our RB and secondary depth right now. Hopefully Earl comes back next week.

We were throttling the Eagles until Earl went out. At that point you're missing a starting CB and the best FS in the league. It's going to show up.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I have a comment on the yards that we are giving up.

It appears to me that we're not as strong at the point of attack on the stretch runs to the sideline. In the past we've been very strong at the point, the SAM has held ground on the guards and tackles and it gives time to Bobby and KJ to make the tackle. Multiple weeks now we've seen that the RB is able to get to the edge and Earl is having to make the play.

I'm not sure if someone has the screen shot, but KJ gets trapped inside each time. I think it's plays to the strong side...

Maybe we're seeing some of the effect of losing Irvin and Morgan being out. I'm not seeing Coyle show up.

byau

Reaction score
Aros, you the man, love your posts

Aros":3i19nze8 said:
What a shame to lose Prosise! He was having such a great run these past two games, it seemed like it was going to be an unstoppable tandem with Rawls and Prosise. Apparently the Football Gods find it too unfair to have both healthy on the field at the same time. What a shame. Hope Shead and Thomas' hammy's are not the severe variety.

How long has it been since an RB took it to the house like that? Since Rawls vs Bengals last year? We were jumping up and down like mad as he took it to the endzone and then as we sat back in our post-play exhaustion we were like:

"Oh yeah, I remember this feeling"

Something is off at CLink these days. It's just not as crazy loud as it used to be. Is it still louder than most stadiums? No doubt.

It's still pretty loud. I watch a lot of condensed games on NFL GamePass and the Seahawks home games are definitely the loudest.

Every team in the NFC West lost today but us. Ahhhh, just like old times again.

Not just that, the other guys all have losing records. The Philadelphia Eagles, with that loss, are now 5-5. Batting .500. If they swapped with us and were in the NFC West, they'd still be first in the division now that Arizona, in 2nd, is 4-5-1 with < .500

In the long run, I definitely prefer the competitive division - don't want to see a repeat of 2010 where we become the laughingstock and someone manages to get in the playoffs with 7-9.

Damn Cowboys. Even if it turns out to be a Seahawks / Cowboys NFCCG in Dallas, the good news is we are battle tested, that stadium is a neutral field in terms of fans/environment and does not intimidate us in the least, AND the Cowboys have not faced any real adversity or great teams all year long. That could change if we meet in January.

Eerily feel that both Elliot and Prescott will somehow rise above all these non-battle tested monikers. The Seahawks did that in 2012 and 2013, and I feel that the Cowboys right now are more similar to the 2013 Seahawks than 2012 Seahawks. Lots of confidence and they're rollin'

Great play the last few weeks by our boys, hope we play smart the rest of the way, make the playoffs mostly injury free, get a bye, and go from there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great post Aros. While the snap may not have been the problem, the Eagles player who blocked the extra point attempt came up the middle....that is Frese's assignment. Frese has got to go. These blocks are happening too frequently these days. He's the problem. They didn't have this issue the past few years.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rob12":32icral8 said:
Aros":32icral8 said:
Rob12":32icral8 said:

Yeah, fair enough Todd. Sadly, I agree with you. I've been to at least 10 games since 2010 (live in the Walla Walla area so it's tough for me to get to games) and the noise has slowly but surely decreased. I remember the opening Thursday night game in 2014 against the Packers - when the SB banner was unveiled - and it was ear damaging loud. I remember worrying that my ears would never stop ringing the whole drive home. I honestly think I lost some hearing that day. It was awesome.

The environment is still great, but the more I think about it, the more I know you're right. I don't know what to attribute it to, really. I look around and see a lot of people in their early 20's and the game seems to be more of a social event to them. Selfies, texting... Three years ago, the entire stadium was on their feet the whole time the Hawks were on defense. Today, it was about a third. And my ears didn't ring once on the way home.

I think the Hawks turning into a Juggernaut has spoiled so many.

New England Patriot affect.. getting to used to winning.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawkfan68":36p4hrgw said:
Great post Aros. While the snap may not have been the problem, the Eagles player who blocked the extra point attempt came up the middle....that is Frese's assignment. Frese has got to go. These blocks are happening too frequently these days. He's the problem. They didn't have this issue the past few years.

I was wrong on this one. It looks like the guy who blocked the EP attempt was being blocked or not by Glowinski.
58329f3228a02.image.jpg

With that said, something the Seahawks need to correct as this is happening on a regular basis the past few weeks.

mikeak

Reaction score
Aros":2afcwxjo said:
And what the hell is going on with the kickers this year? 11 missed extra points today...

...Only 8 ALL YEAR last season!

That's pretty amazing. I tried to blame the long snapper today for Haush' issues but I can't. The extra point attempt in the first quarter was simply line penetration and a legit block. I haven't watched the missed FG yet on TV (I'm currently into the beginning of the 3rd quarter) but I just think it's an off year all around for kickers, Stephen included.

OK I have a crazy idea about this

On every FG there is the chance that there is a fake right? Especially on those around the 30 yard line where you don't put yourself in a bad field position if it doesn't work

NOBODY has run a fake on the extra point. They either go for 2 or go for the 1 right. Why would you fake it on the extra point that far back vs going from the 2 yard line.

So my thought is that you can rush everybody. Nobody has to account for the fake

I would really love to see a team go for the fake extra point. I know nobody will but it would force some defenses to back off a little bit just in case

byau

Reaction score
mikeak":3i2yw2ry said:
I would really love to see a team go for the fake extra point. I know nobody will but it would force some defenses to back off a little bit just in case

You know what I'd love to see... I'd love to see an audible between the holder and kicker that if someone leap frogs the line, the holder Lucys the ball, the kicker NAILS the leapfrogger on the second of his jumps (the leapfrogger is in a very vulnerable position, prime for a squat and thrust up the gut Ender's Game style) and the holder just runs his ever-lovin life to the endzone (or first down marker or what have you). People will be so in shock of Hausch knocking out this athletic leapfrogger that everyone will have momentary paralysis leaving the American Ninja enough room to make the play in the endzone (or first down marker or what have you)

I'd love to see that (but not done on our guys of course)

tacomahawk

Reaction score
I sit in Sec 127, for the last two years, I have seen different people around me for every game. People just seem to be selling their tickets like crazy, and their good voices are being replaced by people who simply have no concept of what to do. Why the hell do people have to have their cell phones out constantly. Take one photo of your stupid face, and then get into the game and yell and scream your ass off (on defense of course). I love winning, and wouldn't trade it for anything but the "new" CentryLink fans have a lot to learn.

hawker84

Reaction score
Nice post Aros, great game to watch, a little tough at the end with typical "play not to lose style" we always seem to go to and always seem to let them drive right down the field doing it.

Also costly with Thomas and Shead going down, along with Prosise and Pope.

I'm really liking this Procise kid, man I sure hope he's not another one of those players that can't seem to stay on the field? Really disappointed about Pope though, really wanted to see what that kid could do. So what does this mean, more Collins? Ugggghhh. Rawls looked good, runs with mean intentions.....

I think Dallas will be tough to catch at the pace they're going at, so it might be all roads lead through Dallas kind of post season. I'm fine with the team resting Thomas and Shead and getting them ready for a deep post season run..

I thought Bevell called a decent game for the most part, still a bit too predictable at times for my taste, but much better the last two weeks for sure.. On to Tampa...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2y7hh0sa said:
Yeah man like I said, I can't really quantify it...It's not like we still aren't the loudest fans in the NFL, but that's not saying much these days as the competition isn't even close any ways but high standards have been set here and I don't know if it's complacency/aloofness/apathy from fans that simply are grown accustomed to winning or what.

Many, many fans (raising my hand to this as I sold my tix yesterday) are selling their tickets to neophytes to the CLink stadium experience. Makes a difference, in my opinion.