Am i alone here?

GemCity

Reaction score
He is not a high motor guy, he gives up on plays too early. He has consistently, this season, taken plays off or he has a conditioning issues. He is an athletic freak, but yeah his desire to be great is not there. I no longer trust taking him in the top 10
I had only watched highlights until OSU vs Georgia. Ohio State did a good job of containing him and he faced a lot of double teams. Not making excuses either…

A big concern is his attitude.! In between plays, I saw him go to the sideline and it almost appeared as if he was pouting.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
There are no guarantees in Free Agency. Just because we have the money to sign Payne or Hargrave doesn't mean they will sign with the Seahawk. Also, the Seahawks seem unwilling to overpay for good free agents.

Your thoughts are sound, but Seahawks in Free Agency seem to always to be looking for discounts. I'm not excited about any non-QBs, anymore, in the top-3 of the 1st round.

Seahawks historically have proven they are completely inept at identifying DL/Edge talent in the draft because they've passed on multiple elite players, literal future hall of famers, in the draft spots they were at.

In 2011 we drafted James Carpenter a few spots ahead of likely future HoFer in Cameron Heyward. In 2016, a top shelf DL in Kenny Clark goes 1 pick after us to the Packers, instead we trade the pick to Denver to move down to get Ifedi, then got Reed in the 2nd, then used the extra pick from Denver for Vannett. Wow, sure glad we traded for all those guys rather than just acquiring a guy who ends up being one of the best players at his position.

In 2017 they trade back their pick a few slots ahead of an elite generational talent in TJ Watt to once again get cute & trade back to grab McDowell, who never even ends up playing a snap, despite the warnings over his personality issues. Even in the 2012 draft, hardly anyone mentions this, but the team they traded back for the Bruce Irvin pick on draft day, well that was with Philly who used it to draft Fletcher Cox, while we used the extra picks acquired to draft Jaye Howard (who I cant say I remember) & Lane. While Irvin fit a need at the time, and we already had Mebane, could have been useful to have a guy who is probably a borderline HoF player to rotate in around those 2015 & 2016 seasons, if only our FO was capable of spotting out these generational level talents on the defensive line.

Even the Frank Clark pick they got lucky with because that was the obvious choice given the Avril health issues and the fact that he fell all the way to the end of the 2nd round. That would have never happened if it wasn't the first draft post-Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/Hardy domestic abuse cases. Without that, Clark was an obvious top 15 pick.

However, they have been very competent building up the defensive line over the years via FA & Trades, with Avril, Clemons, Bennett, Nwosu, Clowney, Dunlap etc. So I'm just going to assume they're going to get cute again come draft day with the DL position so why even bother hoping for one?

Seahawker

Reaction score
Seahawks historically have proven they are completely inept at identifying DL/Edge talent in the draft because they've passed on multiple elite players, literal future hall of famers, in the draft spots they were at.

In 2011 we drafted James Carpenter a few spots ahead of likely future HoFer in Cameron Heyward. In 2016, a top shelf DL in Kenny Clark goes 1 pick after us to the Packers, instead we trade the pick to Denver to move down to get Ifedi, then got Reed in the 2nd, then used the extra pick from Denver for Vannett. Wow, sure glad we traded for all those guys rather than just acquiring a guy who ends up being one of the best players at his position.

In 2017 they trade back their pick a few slots ahead of an elite generational talent in TJ Watt to once again get cute & trade back to grab McDowell, who never even ends up playing a snap, despite the warnings over his personality issues. Even in the 2012 draft, hardly anyone mentions this, but the team they traded back for the Bruce Irvin pick on draft day, well that was with Philly who used it to draft Fletcher Cox, while we used the extra picks acquired to draft Jaye Howard (who I cant say I remember) & Lane. While Irvin fit a need at the time, and we already had Mebane, could have been useful to have a guy who is probably a borderline HoF player to rotate in around those 2015 & 2016 seasons, if only our FO was capable of spotting out these generational level talents on the defensive line.

Even the Frank Clark pick they got lucky with because that was the obvious choice given the Avril health issues and the fact that he fell all the way to the end of the 2nd round. That would have never happened if it wasn't the first draft post-Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/Hardy domestic abuse cases. Without that, Clark was an obvious top 15 pick.

However, they have been very competent building up the defensive line over the years via FA & Trades, with Avril, Clemons, Bennett, Nwosu, Clowney, Dunlap etc. So I'm just going to assume they're going to get cute again come draft day with the DL position so why even bother hoping for one?
This post should be made a sticky thread and be a major point of discussion right up to April 27.
We may not have this kind of draft capital again and a full autopsy of Pete & John's habitual trade downs could at least be a message to the front office that this kind of draft dilution is wearing thin with the 12's. It may be all for naught though, P & J's maverick style of player evaluation and big board player calculations have IMHO done more harm than good. A decade of lackluster line drafts with the exception of 22' have brought us to this point and now (22' run D) it is time to fix this & return to serious playoff contention.
2 DT's, 2 LBers, a center and OG, that's a start. I dread the cute tricks and little pet projects.

Chevy

Reaction score

You kind of went on a tangent here from my response to what you had posted.

All Seahwaks fans are aware of how bad John and Pete have drafted up until last the 2022 draft.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I know you have to take so much of what you hear in this world with a dose of salt, but when Todd McShay comes right out front and talks about character issues with Carter, I'm a little bit concerned. That was not said idly, and he knew he was going to get blow-back from it, but he said it anyway. It's not like he just made it up, or so I don't think. He seems like a pretty plugged-in guy and not one to crap on someone unfairly.

I don't know...
I take McShay with a grain of salt teams that will be in a position to draft him will do their research if you see him falling in the draft there could be some truth than get drafted at a spot where a team is willing to accept the risk