Am i alone here?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm dying to know who your dream receiver in the class?
I don’t have one yet — too early, and some I haven’t seen yet. Also waiting to see how they do at combine, Senior Bowl, etc. I am looking for a good possession receiver who can run precision routes to get quick separation to move the chains on 3rd and 6. Poles is addicted to size and speed, so Bears are loaded with tall guys who run 4.4 in 40 but can’t run routes and get to the right spot at the right time. Addison can do this, but I can’t see Poles drafting a small WR. Boutte was high on my list, but he decided to stay at LSU. What’s your suggestion?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I don’t have one yet — too early, and some I haven’t seen yet. Also waiting to see how they do at combine, Senior Bowl, etc. I am looking for a good possession receiver who can run precision routes to get quick separation to move the chains on 3rd and 6. Poles is addicted to size and speed, so Bears are loaded with tall guys who run 4.4 in 40 but can’t run routes and get to the right spot at the right time. Addison can do this, but I can’t see Poles drafting a small WR. Boutte was high on my list, but he decided to stay at LSU. What’s your suggestion?
Agree with you about Addison. IME the tall and fast WRs that your average fan likes has some sort of dropped pass issues. Give me a team of Tyler Lockett’s who know how to get open and be where they need to be. Watch Aaron Rodgers play with young receivers you will get what that means.

I could see Smith-Njigba with the Bears

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Agree with you about Addison. IME the tall and fast WRs that your average fan likes has some sort of dropped pass issues. Give me a team of Tyler Lockett’s who know how to get open and be where they need to be. Watch Aaron Rodgers play with young receivers you will get what that means.

I could see Smith-Njigba with the Bears
Right. Getsy would love to run the Green Bay offense just like he did with Rodgers, but Bears don’t have a guy like Lockett. So these damn WRs run a steady diet of screen passes or fly routes. Smith-Njigba would be good, but I need to do a trade up in the second round to get him.

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
Well off the top of my head
Jaxon Smith-Njigma
Rashee Rice
Xavier Hutchinson

Idk man WR is one of the deeper groups of the draft. Unfortunately their ar few good run stuffing DLinemen.

Chevy

Reaction score
One year ago, it wasn't even a question who the Hawks would pick in the draft if they had had their druthers and had he been available: Will Anderson. Not really knowing who he was and watching Alabama play last year, I was like "who in the hell is this guy?" He stuck out to my eyes as much as any defensive player I can remember seeing. An absolute terror.

I still haven't gotten an adequate explanation why he backed off some this year stat-wise. I've heard some decent commonsensical explanations, but none that completely square with the beast I saw last year. I was thinking something along the lines of a Von Miller.

That's why I still lean a bit in his direction over Carter. I mean, Carter had 3 sacks this year from the interior, and Anderson had 17.5 sacks last year from the edge, not to mention his high solo tackles and tackles for loss totals. I can't seem to get Will Anderson of 2021 out of my mind.
IMO, athletically, Will Anderson doesn't compare to Von Miller. Von Miller was a much more fluid athlete coming out of college, his bend and dip to turn the corner was 2nd to none. Whereas I don't see Anderson with near the same kind of fluidity and dip/bend to turn the corner that Miller had. I think Anderson will test similar to our own Boye Mafe. I've read that Anderson's comparison could be Khalil Mack. Mack had an elite 10-yard split, and it shows if you look at Mack's college highlights. I'm still uncertain Anderson has that kind of juice...maybe Alabama has slow uniforms to my eye.

Von Miller and TJ Watt had amazing 3-cone times, which show up on their game tape coming out of college...Mafe and Anderson (IMO) are not close to Watt & Miller as prospect pass rushers. But if Anderson could be a K. Mack type of player, then top-3 makes sense. Time will tell.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Will Anderson's athleticism and skill set translating to the NFL enough for a top 5 pick. High risk of being a "good" player but not a "great" one. He won't be nearly as good as Von Miller (who is?) or Micah Parsons. Jalen Carter, on the other hand, will be great in the NFL and is a much better pick.

Rooting for Chicago to beat Detroit and Minny those last 2 games.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Will Anderson's athleticism and skill set translating to the NFL enough for a top 5 pick. High risk of being a "good" player but not a "great" one. He won't be nearly as good as Von Miller (who is?) or Micah Parsons. Jalen Carter, on the other hand, will be great in the NFL and is a much better pick.

I wasn’t very impressed by Parsons in the Bears game. He is quick but not strong. You can’t run around him, but you can run over him. Same story on pass rush. Braxton Jones can handle speed rushers like Parsons.

Anderson is strong as well as fast. He’s better against run than either Miller or Parsons. More similar to Mack.

I will be very surprised if Anderson does not go to Bears or Seahawks.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I wasn’t very impressed by Parsons in the Bears game. He is quick but not strong. You can’t run around him, but you can run over him. Same story on pass rush. Braxton Jones can handle speed rushers like Parsons.

Anderson is strong as well as fast. He’s better against run than either Miller or Parsons. More similar to Mack.

I will be very surprised if Anderson does not go to Bears or Seahawks.
I'm open to being wrong on this and hope the Bears love Anderson and take him over Carter.

NoGain

Reaction score
IMO, athletically, Will Anderson doesn't compare to Von Miller. Von Miller was a much more fluid athlete coming out of college, his bend and dip to turn the corner was 2nd to none. Whereas I don't see Anderson with near the same kind of fluidity and dip/bend to turn the corner that Miller had. I think Anderson will test similar to our own Boye Mafe. I've read that Anderson's comparison could be Khalil Mack. Mack had an elite 10-yard split, and it shows if you look at Mack's college highlights. I'm still uncertain Anderson has that kind of juice...maybe Alabama has slow uniforms to my eye.

Von Miller and TJ Watt had amazing 3-cone times, which show up on their game tape coming out of college...Mafe and Anderson (IMO) are not close to Watt & Miller as prospect pass rushers. But if Anderson could be a K. Mack type of player, then top-3 makes sense. Time will tell.
Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of position and overall impact in my reference to Miller than specific athletic traits. He just looked like a man playing against boys in 2021. I'm not a strong discerner or evaluator of specific individual athletic traits, so I appreciate your perspective.

I am just so hungry for an alpha dog who relentlessly tackles and gets after the QB. I'm a little concerned about Carter from a statistical standpoint. Why didn't he have better stats for a guy who's supposedly near the very top of the draft board? Does he take plays off? Not have a motor that consistently runs in high gear? I don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
He sprained his ankle in the opener against LSU, then later in the season sprained his MCL. He still played through both injuries

massari

Reaction score
Jalen Carter stats:

Games 33
Sacks 6
Tackles 80
Tackles for loss 18
Pass defended 3

Aaron Donald college stats:

Games 51
Sacks 30
Tackles 181
Tackles for loss 66
Pass defended 10

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm open to being wrong on this and hope the Bears love Anderson and take him over Carter.
Jalen Carter stats:

Games 33
Sacks 6
Tackles 80
Tackles for loss 18
Pass defended 3

Games 51
Sacks 30
Tackles 181
Tackles for loss 66
Pass defended 10
Suh is another comparison. He had 24 sacks and 215 total tackles.

BASF

Reaction score
Jalen Carter stats:

Games 33
Sacks 6
Tackles 80
Tackles for loss 18
Pass defended 3

Games 51
Sacks 30
Tackles 181
Tackles for loss 66
Pass defended 10
Massive talent difference on supporting cast though. Donald did not have to compete for stats with a bunch of other players destined to play in the NFL.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jalen Carter stats:

Games 33
Sacks 6
Tackles 80
Tackles for loss 18
Pass defended 3

Games 51
Sacks 30
Tackles 181
Tackles for loss 66
Pass defended 10
Jalen Carter reminds me a bit of Tez Kennedy. If he is even 10% of what Tez was, that would be a great thing. If the Seattle's first pick remains the same at #3 as it is currently, then that was the same spot Cortez Kennedy was picked in the 1990 draft by the Seahawks.
Here are some of Jalen Carter's highlights -

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
Massive talent difference on supporting cast though. Donald did not have to compete for stats with a bunch of other players destined to play in the NFL.
Isn't there another side to this coin? If a team has a player who clearly stands above his teammates, then wouldn't opposing teams game-plan to overload against him and play-call away from him? Just asking the question...

BASF

Reaction score
Isn't there another side to this coin? If a team has a player who clearly stands above his teammates, then wouldn't opposing teams game-plan to overload against him and play-call away from him? Just asking the question...
That certainly does factor, but from that aspect we can easily make the argument that Donald feasted on playing in the Big East and Acc Coastal in his senior year. The competition Carter has faced is very superior.

NoGain

Reaction score
That certainly does factor, but from that aspect we can easily make the argument that Donald feasted on playing in the Big East and Acc Coastal in his senior year. The competition Carter has faced is very superior.
Yeah, game stats certainly don't tell the whole story. I was just a little concerned that Carter didn't have better stats than he did when I looked at them, or was surprised they weren't a bit better. I wonder if Will Anderson's stats declined this year because teams simply had to better game-plan against him, that he was killing teams that didn't?

Talent evaluation is a b*tch. Even if you pour over game stats, athletic testing stats, endlessly watch film...you can get it wrong.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think Poles trades back and gets more picks. And if he doesn't, I don't think the defense is all that bad to blow it on carter. Media want it because they gutted the defense but it's still been good. What been painful is Fields hasn't had any real help offensively... and after this season a lot... ALOT of contracts are up and they need to give him more to work with and protect him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Bears traded Robert Quinn and Roquan Smith this season. They haven't replaced those guys yet. I think the Bears, if they pick at #2 draft time, are either targeting Carter or Anderson. So hopefully it's Anderson. Anderson is outstanding but the Seahawks need an interior DL in the worst way and Carter is #1 DT in the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Anderson's athleticism and burst off the edge is the best in the entire draft, it's why he's rated behind Carter as the next best defensive player.

But I agree, I'd rather have Carter, but Anderson with the right development could become another Micah Parsons. A complete game wrecker that can also cover as an edge LB. Certainly something this defense is SORELY missing.

After these guys, I honestly don't know enough about the other top defensive players, we're going to have to rely on John and our scouts to determine as to whether it's worth hanging around for guys like Murphy, or drop down if we don't get Carter or Anderson.