Always play to win

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think the nerds are the issue. The issue is the people who use analytics without understanding what they mean and then use them as an excuse for their failed decisions. I.e., just because the win probability chart says go for two doesn't mean the chart made the decision to go for two.

With that said, I think the more data-driven sports have become, the worse the product on the field is to watch.

GemCity

Reaction score
As a data guy, I couldn’t agree more pertaining to data driven solutions aren’t always the answer…especially in professional sports.

They CAN help provide insight but, intuition can often trump analytics in sports.

I cringed when I heard responses about why we threw the ball…instead of handing it off to Lynch….in the most blundering moment in sports history.

I’m still salty…

QWERTY

Reaction score
So... Always play to win?

When the Lions went on 4th and 2 . With the Score 24-10. Kick a FG and it's 27-10.

Kicking a FG will be a 45 yarder.

cymatica

Reaction score
So... Always play to win?

When the Lions went on 4th and 2 . With the Score 24-10. Kick a FG and it's 27-10.

Kicking a FG will be a 45 yarder.
They lost by 3 on the road in the championship game against one of the best defenses and would have won if their receivers didn't forget how to catch wide open passes in the 2nd half. They also screwed themselves by calling that run play on 3rd down at the goal line. Lions choked that game away and it wasn't due to Campbell being aggressive

bigcc

Reaction score
I agree you play to win, but IMO the nerd analytics movement has gone too far.
It's decent for clock management, terrible for for whether to go for it on 4th and six.

Mahomes gets the same input from models as zach Wilson does, give me a break

QWERTY

Reaction score
They lost by 3 on the road in the championship game against one of the best defenses and would have won if their receivers didn't forget how to catch wide open passes in the 2nd half. They also screwed themselves by calling that run play on 3rd down at the goal line. Lions choked that game away and it wasn't due to Campbell being aggressive

You blame it on the players when they were UP again 24-7 first half.

You realize that they came this far was a miracle right? And this is their first year for how many years in a playoff game. They don't have clutch players, their WR's are not even 1st round 2nd round talent. Coach screwed up and should had kicked a FG 3 score game, but he went in for the kill that made him LOSE momentum fast.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Kick the FG. They were up 17 at the half and could have been up 17 more than mid way thru the 3rd. Even if the 9ers score a TD with the rest of the 3rd, you're still up by 10, 2 scores going into the 4th and you have the ball also. That's momentum right there, which Campbell completely pissed away

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Depending on analytics is ignoring situational awareness.

This x 100.

These coaches think they're playing blackjack where it's 100% odds, and forget they're actually playing poker where a dozen other factors are involved, including your opponent.

So I'm sick and tired of hearing "well that's what got them there........gotta stay true to who they are!"

BS.

cymatica

Reaction score
You blame it on the players when they were UP again 24-7 first half.

You realize that they came this far was a miracle right? And this is their first year for how many years in a playoff game. They don't have clutch players, their WR's are not even 1st round 2nd round talent. Coach screwed up and should had kicked a FG 3 score game, but he went in for the kill that made him LOSE momentum fast.
Hindsight. If the wr didn't drop an open pass on 4th then it's a good decision. Their aggressive nature got them to the championship game, can't change who you are out of fear of a negative outcome. Yes the players dropped uncontested catches that would have probably won the game. The RB fumbled the ball when up by 7 on a run play which is as conservative as you can get. An easy interception bounced off a Lions helmet right into a big 49er play.

So yeah, several mistakes by the players lost that game. You could, in hindsight, say Campbell should not have gone for it, but if the receiver catches an easy ball then it works out. The only decision that was really head scratching was running it on 3rd and goal down by 10, losing that timeout forced the onside kick. Should have thrown that because even an incomplete gives 3 points and 3 timeouts.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Really tired of people correlating “win in the 4th” to Pete not trying to score early. So disingenuous.

The mantra rightfully is, no matter what happens for 3 quarters the game isn’t over until the final second of…the 4th qtr.

Unless you’re giving Detroit the win at Halftime, both games yesterday were indeed won in the 4th. 2:09 left in Baltimore and :49 left in S.F.

Plays in the first three qrts can heavily influence outcomes. Like kicking a FG to go up three scores or scoring at TD to get within 3 instead of fumbling into the end zone. Both of those scenarios could’ve provided a better opportunity to win. And they could’ve just as easily been plays that happened on the way to losing in the 4th.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Passing on TWO FG's is not playing to win. It's playing to blow it.
Take the damn points, you're up 17 with less than half of the 3rd quarter remaining. Common f'ing sense. Make it a 3-score game, make them start at the 25 and at least have to earn their points.