Always play to win

Rat

Reaction score
When you're still in playoff race, yeah. I'm not clamoring for a win in a game when we're 6-10 and a loss would improve our draft position four slots because "winning culture".

GemCity

Reaction score
A "good" game to me is not winning at the end by less than a touchdown. A good game to me is winning by 40. I can sit back and enjoy the game. How many years has it been . . . sigh.
No doubt. I do agree that a win is a win is a win…and they’re hard to come by in the NFL.

But yah…you CAN win a game in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It’s almost as if you’re telling the team to not break out the bag of tricks, nor play your hardest, until the 4th.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No doubt. I do agree that a win is a win is a win…and they’re hard to come by in the NFL.

But yah…you CAN win a game in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It’s almost as if you’re telling the team to not break out the bag of tricks, nor play your hardest, until the 4th.
PERCEPTION....The game isn't OVER until the last tic of the clock, which just so happens to come at the tail end of the "4th Quarter"
Lot's of Strategizing, Adjusting, and Player substitutions are a big part of what goes into game plans, and it's cool to have an early lead and all, but you have to be able to 'Hang On to it', be persistent or lucky enough (we make our own luck) to come from behind to win.
Pete's problem was not having the flexibility or Sub-Coaches needed to hang with the ever-morphing-Rules.
It's no longer about JUST having a good fundamentals Football team that gets you the most wins... a good (innovative) Coach can cancel you out with a less talented but faster or harder hitting team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree you play to win, but IMO the nerd analytics movement has gone too far.

Haley in LA, even this weekend with Bowles going for two and so many unsuccessful 4th downs in the offensive half of the field. I know fans love it, but this hiding behind analytics and just telling the press "the analytics said to go for it" after your team lost.................wait for it............cause you went for it.

We've strayed too far from the things most successful coaches have always had, like intuition, nuance, common sense and measuring the risk vs rewards situationally.

Last edited:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Atlanta "played to win" in that one Super Bowl. It was entertaining to see a team actual do the "keep the pedal to the floor" thing and crap the bed doing it.

Being aggressive is romanticized a bit much by some sport fans. Sometimes being aggressive works well. Sometimes being more conservative works well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Atlanta "played to win" in that one Super Bowl. It was entertaining to see a team actual do the "keep the pedal to the floor" thing and crap the bed doing it.

Being aggressive is romanticized a bit much by some sport fans. Sometimes being aggressive works well. Sometimes being more conservative works well.

The greatest coaches of all time aren't just about the X's and O's, great motivators or developers of talent. They were masters at this discussion as well. Understanding nuanced intangibles like momentum, which is really what predicates successful gambles in sports.

Knowing you have your opponent on the ropes, they're tired, they're panicking and out of sorts, etc. THAT'S the good stuff. Not just looking at statistics some nerd the organization hired to help you.

knownone

Reaction score

Haley in SD, even this weekend with Bowles going for two and so many unsuccessful 4th downs in the offensive half of the field. I know fans love it, but this hiding behind analytics and just telling the press "the analytics said to go for it" after your team lost.................wait for it............cause you went for it.

We've strayed too far from the things most successful coaches have always had, like intuition, nuance, common sense and measuring the risk vs rewards situationally.
I agree. Analytics are meant to inform decisions, not make them. This is one aspect of the modern NFL that drives me insane.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree. Analytics are meant to inform decisions, not make them. This is one aspect of the modern NFL that drives me insane.

Baseball is also now ruined by analytics. The nerds say no more bunting and stealing, so we now get to watch half the lineup strike out 200 times a year swinging from their asses trying to hit home runs............and 28 pitches changes per game making our national pastime virtually unwatchable.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

Haley in SD, even this weekend with Bowles going for two and so many unsuccessful 4th downs in the offensive half of the field. I know fans love it, but this hiding behind analytics and just telling the press "the analytics said to go for it" after your team lost.................wait for it............cause you went for it.

Hm..."Nerd analytics movement?" Really? You do realize that analytics has always been a part of any sport, right? I mean yards per game for a team is a statistic (an average) and therefore any analysis using it would be considered "analytics." Now if your point is that statistics are being misused then I would agree with that. Just because the success rate for fourth and one is 65.5% doesn't mean that the Seahawks' offense will succeed against the Ravens' defense on fourth and one 65.5% of the time. I think most sports (including the NFL) are still learning how to correctly use analytics.

Sorry. I was an "analytics nerd" for 30+ years (retired in 2021) so I find the term somewhat annoying.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hm..."Nerd analytics movement?" Really? You do realize that analytics has always been a part of any sport, right? I mean yards per game for a team is a statistic (an average) and therefore any analysis using it would be considered "analytics." Now if your point is that statistics are being misused then I would agree with that. Just because the success rate for fourth and one is 65.5% doesn't mean that the Seahawks' offense will succeed against the Ravens' defense on fourth and one 65.5% of the time. I think most sports (including the NFL) are still learning how to correctly use analytics.

Sorry. I was an "analytics nerd" for 30+ years (retired in 2021) so I find the term somewhat annoying.

My apologies. I change the term "analytic nerd" to "guys who got picked on and didn't play sports in school who are now enacting their revenge by ruining all our favorite sports."

Just kidding!

bsuhawk

Reaction score
My apologies. I change the term "analytic nerd" to "guys who got picked on and didn't play sports in school who are now enacting their revenge by ruining all our favorite sports."

Just kidding!
Ah...Much better!😀

I suppose that makes you one of those guys who used to pay me $15 to do their math homework. Keep in mind this was in the '70s. Probably costs more now.

Last edited: