All 22 notes, Indy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am going to focus on a few of the more known plays with penalties and defense, and the offensive breakdowns. Plus some of the stuff they did right.

1 QTR
13:53, Lynch for 24. I formation, Willson at FB, motion to beside Wilson, gain 24. This is a trend right now, we have been more effective with a blocker forward than a FB. I think Lynch trusts his eyes more when his first few steps are not right behind the FB.

13:18 A real read option, the Colts show immediately they are spying Russell. Russell reads Rice deep, nothing there, Sees Baldwin open, throws a bad pass to Baldwin. This one is on Russell.

13:11 Read option to Lynch. If this was a real read option, Wilson blew it. DE crashed on Lynch, Wilson had a blocker on his spy, and Lynch got swallowed for -5. The next play was a run by Lynch to set up a closer field goal.

Note on Indy's first two drives. A lot of triple WR sets, they seemed intent on using those to free easy reads for Luck. They were developing slowly, and the pass rush was effective. Good D early dictating terms.

10:28, read option right, gain 19. First right side read option, Russell reads the OLB perfectly.
Remember when Ahmad Brooks just smoked Russell after a RO handoff? Russell makes sure he is moving after the handoff this time.
9:46 A gap blitz, right side fails, Russel scrambles for 3. Time for one read, go.
7:15 Empty set. A bad trend, When Russ is in the gun and empty, automatic blitz. McQ whiffs anyway. Russell scrambles, has Willson in front of him for an easy pass, but keeps it, gains 11. Willson is open, but I'm not sure he gains more anyway.

6:41 Great route by Tate, touchdown. Good thing, McQ whiffs again.

4:47, another failed read option left. this time, Willson can't block in space. Gain 2.
4:12, another failed read option left. this time, LB 50 is spy, and gets Wilson for -2. The following third and long is not converted.

1:04, Wilson RO pass inc to Baldwin. Not a bad decision, but overthrown. Tate wide open underneath for gain for at least 15. By now Wilson has a hasty feel to his decision making, and understandably so. In fact, on the next paly he scrambles for 18, 3 Colts had him dead and he got out of trouble with his feet.

2QTR

14:14. I hate I formation without Robinson. Gain of 2.
13:29. Another failed 3rd and short, Wilson play action bootlegs into pressure. Turbin and Rice fail to block one guy, and Willson fails to block another. Tate wide open 9 yards deep crossing, but pressure is on Wilson too quick.
12:11 Turbin for 2. Turbin dances. Needs to one cut and go.

9:39 Great play design. Fake RO play action, Willson fakes a down block, then runs a route. This play negates the bogus PI on Tate.

9:07. Another whiff by Willson. gain 1 running by Turbin.
7:39 Inc to Baldwin. Another uncalled pass interference. Als, it should be clear by now to Bevell that empty sets are automatic blitzes.
7:35 Another head scratching play, play action from the I formation on 4th and three. Colts never cared about the run, they send 5. Wilson is quick and converts the 4th down with a scramble.

Defensive note: The 4:33 PI on Browner was a dumb play by Browner. 3rd and 22, Luck threw the ball to the outside while TY cut inside. Browner never needed to put a hand on him. No matter what you think of the call, Browner did not need to do any of what he did. Especially on 3rd and 22 with the Colts inside their own 10. Also worth noting, I am starting to think that Indy coaches their receivers to flop on contact when an incomplete pass is obvious.

:25. The play Russell wants back. He is pressured, but misses a freebie over throwing Tate for a score. Another unexplainable play action call by Bevell, I doubt Indy was fooled by play action on 1st and 15 from the 47 with 25 seconds left.

:10. Another hard to explain protection. On a hail mary play, McQuistan gets no help for a play likely to take 4 seconds to develop. He gives up the sack/fumble that nearly is returned, and worst of all, on the recovery Wilson takes a hard shot.

3RD QTR
14:17 Read option pass, flood right. three level read, Wilson chooses correct, gain of 27 to Baldwin.
11:23 Another empty set that flops. 3rd and 7, Bowie whiffs. Wilson unloads, gets crushed, and Rice misses another pass that could have been interference.

9:49 Defensive note. The much talked about Clemons hit on Luck's helmet. It would have been a bogus penalty, Clemons was engaged by Costanzo when he hit Luck's helmet. You can't be blocked into one of those targeting personal fouls.

9:00 Another failed protection. Bowie whiffs on inside move, Wilson scrambles for 6. Field goal.
4:22 Defensive note. I think Browner got caught peeking at Luck. Luck knew he had single coverage outside on both. Browner goes to press bail, but begins to fade inside as he sees Luck looking the other way. Luck comes back to his side and throws a nice pass over the top of Browner.

2:08 Empty set, for once the Colt's don't blitz it, but instead spy Wilson. McQ whiffs again. Wilson throws a nice 27 yard completion to Baldwin. It's worth noting that by now, it is clear that there are a lot more positive passing plays when there is not play action passing.
1:12. Another time, this time not called, Sweezy takes off illegally down field. gain 6 to Tate.
:44 Another one Wilson would like to do over. He sees something that is clearly a trigger for an audible, moves Lynch, and throws a bullet to Lynch too soon. A bit better pass, hello red zone.

4th QTR.
13:56 defensive note. Another 3rd down bail out from the officials. A clear pushoff and flop by Hilton. I will add that by now Seattle's DBs have to know that the refs are being tight with them, no extra shoves and such, please.
11:50 Another 3rd and 8, Hilton again creates space by pushing off. makes a great catch behind his body. Good pressure on Luck by Avril.

7:27 Read option, Wilson keeps left, no gain. A great call by Indy, and a call we can expect to see more often in the future. Indy has the DE crash down on Lynch, and has LB 50 assigned to go after Wilson. Seattle could kill this defense by having a pass option for Wilson, but there was not one on this play. Another failed 3rd and short.
1:47. Incomplete short to Willson, Carpenter takes off down field, could have been a penalty. When you see how Carpenter lets his guy go, I'm pretty sure he thinks this is a screen play. It isn't. Could have been PI on the safety covering Willson.
1:42 Another play where I don't understand the need for play action. In fact, a run here would have been a good call, Indy was not keyed on it. No matter what, this is the play where the DB hooks Rice, no call.

THe last couple of plays have been pretty disected, on the 4th and 15 pick Wilson was pressured after another unexplainable play action, the pressure slowed Wilson. Rice was open for a tic, Wilson was late to get rid of the ball because he was scrambling.

Fact of the day: By my count, on play action passing, Wilson dropped back 15 times. He was 5-13 passing from play action for 77 yards, a TD and a pick, scrambling twice for 27 yards.
On straight drops he was 10-18 for 133 and a TD. He was sacked twice, though one was a scramble for no yards. 4 of those incompletions should have added substantial pass interference yards, if the game were called the same both ways.

It was clear to me that Bevell called less play action passing as the game wore on, though there are a handful of those play action passes that are hard to explain given the down and distance. Maybe the routes he wanted were only under a play action section of his call sheet, I dunno.

Of note, for the most part Wilson was far more accurate to the right. His left passes were mostly across his body on the move, being chased by big men. throwing right on the move his baseball roots show a lot more in his accuracy.

SonomaHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2evnzbol said:
there are a handful of those play action passes that are hard to explain given the down and distance. Maybe the routes he wanted were only under a play action section of his call sheet, I dunno.

This is the only explanation I can think of. Plus maybe #3 is just used to using it for these plays wrt route running timing, etc.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
4QTR 7:27

Take a look again... there is day light to the left side of the field the part where Carpenter is roaming.

But Jeanpierre can't hold his block and gets pushed backwards tripping Lynch who is trying to get into that space.

Its a 20-30 gain but if Lynch goes full beast modes its a lot closer to the goal line.

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
The LB spy on Wilson was obvious early in the game when two read options were called back to back that ended a drive. In my opinion, those plays were called to confirm what they were seeing from the defense. With that said, it made no sense from that point forward why there wasn't a pass option off the read option keeper. I saw it once for the first down mentioned in the breakdown above.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":36cmq2np said:

Take a look again... there is day light to the left side of the field the part where Carpenter is roaming.

But Jeanpierre can't hold his block and gets pushed backwards tripping Lynch who is trying to get into that space.

Its a 20-30 gain but if Lynch goes full beast modes its a lot closer to the goal line.
That particular play was read option, and the OLB went after Lynch from the go. 50 went after Wilson. I think I could safely call that a read option blitz. Lynch runs straight into the line. you must be thinking of another play.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1axy2tiy said:
Largent80":1axy2tiy said:
Mc Q seems to have his name called multiple times.
And not in a positive light. We can't get Okung back soon enough.

I really don't understand why they don't put Bailey out there. It's pretty clear that McQuistan isn't agile enough.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you for putting in the time Scotte. Jerrell Freeman had a big day and was one of the many things that changed the outcome of this game. Except for a couple of tackles on Russell while trying to scramble, we might have won this game. If we could have gotten a blocker out on #50, #3 probably would have matriculated us down the field for a TD.

Missing Zach Miller was a biggie in this game and imho, was another one of those many points that were the difference in the game. But for one play here or there...

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1y6uxork said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1y6uxork said:

That particular play was read option, and the OLB went after Lynch from the go. 50 went after Wilson. I think I could safely call that a read option blitz. Lynch runs straight into the line. you must be thinking of another play.

Yeah my bad... I was referencing a play from the last Seahawks drive of the game.

run and shoot

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2x0d2z21 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2x0d2z21 said:

I just re watched that play and your right Lynch went down Wilson looked his way and quickly got rid of it

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DC's are starting to correctly guess that we only stick to the run as long as PC can contain his glee for the next battery of play-action passes. Then he calls those passes with a deranged giggle and a skip-hop, and DC's see it coming a mile away.

I'm starting to think, screw PC's adage of "Run to win, throw to score." PC could have easily run to score ALL DAY on the Colts. It would have kept the clock running, kept Luck on the sidelines, and kept the game OFF Paul McQuistan's shoulders. Enough with this lots-of-nothing-then-BOOM-highlight-reel-deep-TD strategy. Stick with what works.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3c4ow4ys said:
I enjoy reading these breakdowns, even though I don't have the football IQ to notice any of this stuff in real time. Thanks for writing this up.
Neither do I. The all 22 and the pause button are for after the game, during the game I just want to watch like everyone else.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We're going to see more and more of this "flopping WR" crap from opposing offenses. They can't match up with the physicality of our DBs, so more and more teams are going to try and draw flags with lame push-offs and flops.

pehawk

Reaction score
So, one of my original gripes rang true; Willson is just as great as Sweezy in coaxing a head-tilt and blurted out curse word. He's just not ready for prime time, period. I REALLY wish they'd ditch the need to get cute with him, like REALLY.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1fhztqvj said:
hawksfansinceday1":1fhztqvj said:
Largent80":1fhztqvj said:
Mc Q seems to have his name called multiple times.
And not in a positive light. We can't get Okung back soon enough.

I really don't understand why they don't put Bailey out there. It's pretty clear that McQuistan isn't agile enough.

Plus, he got stood up like a little bitch on the blocked field goal...not his best day by a long shot.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There was some talk after the game that Seattle's O-line had a good day. They had an OK day in run block, but pass block? Russ is getting happy feet. Damn good thing he is too.

drdiags

Reaction score
Scottemojo":34u52ddi said:
There was some talk after the game that Seattle's O-line had a good day. They had an OK day in run block, but pass block? Russ is getting happy feet. Damn good thing he is too.

I follow Louis Riddick on twitter and he stated the same notion about Wilson and having happy feet

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN
ESPN NFL Insiders, Former 12-year NFL Scout and Director, Former 6-year NFL Veteran, University of Pittsburgh Graduate

As much as I like R.Wilson, and acknowledging his pass protection was poor Sunday, his missed seeing some open WR's that he should not have.

Seems like he is thinking that he has to do it all on his own when plays break down, and is not keeping his eyes down the field. #Seahawks

Mcquistan a severe liability in pass pro at LT. Need Okung back in a big way.

@CQual2 He made several "wow" throws that were vintage Russell Wilson. That isn't the point I am making.

@CQual2 I picked #Seahawks to win it all.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1z3ws0t7 said:

I read Wilson saw pressure in over half of his snaps, and a lot ot the times it came straight up

Latest posts