All 22 last 3 Carolina regular season games

ctrcat

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2yordudm said:
ctrcat":2yordudm said:
I think you're obviously a smart man who enjoys football. think it's very unfair to say Cam never looks to his 2nd read when 7 different players have caught TD passes in the last 5 games. You have to remember too that it is not an all-star cast of weapons or protection and he had no time to build a rapport in the offseason. That, combined with the injuries and OC Mike Shula's less than Einstein reputation, and all can affect confidence and accuracy. Not saying he'll ever win the accuracy skills contest but he obviously has a cannon and led the league in completed passes over 20 yards in the air from the get-go as a rookie, so he's capable.

Was hoping to keep Norman a secret. He's had some head case issues but appears to be on solid footing now, is very talented, and fears nothing.

Agree with Johnson and Lotulelei.

Overall nice to get an opponent's viewpoint!

Can you confirm that those seven receivers were not his first read on the play, please?

Here's at least one play described here, http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... m%2F%22%7D

The question is how does anyone know what his reads/options were or where his eyes were?

I personally haven't watched the all 22, only the home games live in person and the road games once on TV. In the Saints and Falcons games he was near flawless, I only recall through memory one overthrow to a wide open Cotchery on 3rd down in NO as a clear bad throw or read. The Browns game was amazingly gutty under the circumstances, that's not to say he didn't lock onto Benjamin but as the OP said he appeared to go through progressions as well. In fact the one constant refrain from so many, especially early in the year, was how well he was going through his progressions and how precise he'd been. That's not to say he's without flaws of course, he wasn't great against the Cardinals but even he said he needed to play better to have a chance this weekend.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Also, his #1 target, the aforementioned Benjamin, has had multiple drops recently, especially against the Falcons. That Cam has overcome even speaks more highly of Cam, IMO.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
When you see QBs go through their reads you'll see their feet move with the read. That's why you see Manning, Luck, Rodgers, etc, moving their feet and body. The idea is when your head moves you want your feet to move into position with your head so you can throw immediately to that read if it's open. Newton rarely does this. His head stays in the direction of his initial read and his feet do not move so if his eyes are moving then his mechanics are poor.

Obviously I cant see his eyes and what he's looking at, but if you watch QBs who run through their reads you'll see the feet moving with the read. I don't see this with Newton or Kaepernick. It goes without saying that I'm not an NFL mind, I'm just some dude watching NFL Rewind, but I can tell you that if Newton is getting to his third read it looks nothing like any other QB when he does it.

This discussion really means nothing. We're just fans and my credibility as an evaluator extends as far as my keyboard. If you believe Cam is going through his progressions then you've seen many more games than me and you could be right. I watched the last four regular season games and the week 8 game and I just didn't see it much. The Cleveland game was as close as he got because he came down from his first read, moved and hit a pass over the short middle a couple times. Other than that it was rare to see his head or feet move.

The closest comparison I can come up with is Kaepernick, although Newton is a much better thrower and a more powerful runner.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
ctrcat":1whheb63 said:
^ Also, his #1 target, the aforementioned Benjamin, has had multiple drops recently, especially against the Falcons. That Cam has overcome even speaks more highly of Cam, IMO.
This is true. Newton threw a few nice passes that Benjamin whiffed on in the last four weeks.

Chawks1

Reaction score
endzorn":dmlzd869 said:
ctrcat":dmlzd869 said:
This is true. Newton threw a few nice passes that Benjamin whiffed on in the last four weeks.
M

I believe Benjamin ranks 2nd in the league in dropped passes.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Lukeness Monster":28zn8fvi said:
endzorn":28zn8fvi said:
I just watched the condensed version of the Saints game in week 14. Just a couple more observations.

- The Saints run an over front so the QB power I described before has the RT and RG blocking the 3tech DT and Olsen was doing an outstanding job of one on one blocking their LDE. When #68 pulls he's nimble enough to get in that gap and put a hat on the MLB. That is a go to play for Carolina and it rarely gets less than 3-4 yards, often much more.

- Again, Newton will not fool anyone with his eyes. I want to see Thomas take a couple gambles because there is a chance he could house one. I don't recall many post or seam routes by Carolina and no one will throw them on Thomas anyway, but when they throw deep Newton will let you know early in the play by dipping his back shoulder and watching the receivers route develop. Any go routes should be eaten up.

Fair enough, don't think you'll find many Carolina fans who are worried about Seattle's offense.

Defensive slugfest.

You do realize that repeating the same uniformed opinion over and over on this board doesnt make it any more true right?

Try looking at the numbers, and then come back to us before posting it again.

thanks chief.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, the Panther fans got their X's and O's discussion. But the trolls haven't seemed to be actually interested, only the good Panther fans. Nice discussion and great post EZ, thanks.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thanks Zorny for all this work, great !!!!!!

#24 is going to be in their heads all off season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawkFan72":p7ftd2zi said:
Lukeness Monster":p7ftd2zi said:
Fair enough, don't think you'll find many Carolina fans who are worried about Seattle's offense.

Defensive slugfest.

Perhaps, but the Seahawks lead the league in explosive plays. Most people wouldn't guess Seattle if they were asked who leads that category. If you think the Hawks Offense can't do some great things when they're rolling, you're going to be surprised a few times on Saturday.

See? :D