Aldon's suspension is nine games

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I thought it would be around 2 games after the Rice situation. I have to admit though that I set it a little low just because of Ray Rice. I figured it would be like 8 games and then Goodell would give some credit for games missed.

Goodell did say that he would consider the rehab, but he never said that meant a reduction in games. Who knows? Aldon made a number of mistakes and Goodell could have easily given him the season and then applied credit.

Goodell also said that he factors in multiple offense situations in the opposite way he would consider rehab. Aldon made numerous mistakes before previous ones were even mitigated and that had to have part of it. Let's also remember that while Smith might be a nice guy, that he is not a model of intelligence. That meeting with RG could have been a step back for Aldon depending on his mannerisms and remorse level.

We don't know the full picture.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":pcqfi7nc said:
Seems excessive. No one likes make-up calls on the field, and this appears to a be a make-up call off the field.

Don't get me wrong - nothing less than four games would have been sufficient. But one game more than half the season is too rough, in my opinion.

On the other hand, a healthy, rested Aldon Smith coming back in Week 10 (as the SF bye is Week 8)
might give them a wind at their backs just in time to face the weak half of their slate:

@ Giants
vs. Redskins
vs. Seahawks
@ Raiders
@ Seahawks
vs. Chargers
vs. Cardinals

I could see SF going 7-1 during that back seven.

Good thing the Ravens aren't coming to Santa Clara this year - Ray Rice would be in serious jeopardy.

That's probably why it is 9 games. They wanted a full 8 game suspension, and the week-8 bye necessitated making it 9 games.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":kx3d08gh said:
Sports Hernia":kx3d08gh said:
I'm shocked! Didn't know Rog had it in him. Gotta give Rog credit here, good job commish! :th2thumbs:
Also gotta give Roland credit, he was right, I was wrong, so kudos to Roland for being right! Good job iRo! :thirishdrinkers:
:)

Just to be clear, I'm not a Goodell lover. I'm just not a hater, either. I have no doubt he'll still do things here and there that annoy me.

I think all Seahawks fans can agree that this is a pretty righteous sentence, though. :D :D
Seems legit.:)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Marvin49":17q89evx said:
Then they should have fined him...as I said before to Shadowhawk.

The only way that'd make sense is if he were fined the amount he accrued when he was in rehab.

I think Rog would have given the rehab more thought if Aldon didn't go right back out there and screw up again.

It's like Gordon's deal.. yeah the rule stinks and weed should not merit a 16-game suspension, but you know an easy way to solve that until the rule is fixed?

Don't (expletive) smoke weed.

Same goes for Aldon.. if you don't want to put yourself at the mercy of a commissioner who doesn't really have a set way in how many games he suspends someone.. don't go get liquored up and act like an idiot in an airport. Something any regular Joe could attest is a bad idea in the post 9/11 world.

The thing with Ray Rice, while the suspension was incredibly light and downright laughable, that was his first offense. Aldon has a track record. Josh Gordon has a track record.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3bbixot8 said:
Having read this whole thread, I have a few opinions and observations.

As a Seahawks fan, I am delighted to see Aldon Smith suspended for 9 games. That said, I do think some of the punishment is BS.

IIRC, Aldon was arrested for DUI subsequent to his stint in rehab. If my memory is accurate, then that is a legitimate reason to disregard rehab in consideration of his punishment, or to minimise such consideration. And if the airport incident was alcohol related, that also mitigates against rehab being a substantial consideration in reducing his punishment.

The firearms charges, IMO, are far more squirly. There were three components IIRC -- a couple people getting shot, not by Aldon, but at Aldon's party; discharging firearm (shooting a pistol into the air); and possession of "assault weapons".

The first of those, two people being shot by someone other than Aldon, seems to me to be a case of guilt by proximity. AFAIK, there are no laws or NFL rules against holding a party, and I'm not really sure how Aldon can be held responsible for other people illegally carrying weapons into his party. Yes, if it's his house, he has liability, I get that. But (I'm pretty sure) it's not like he invited people to bring weapons to his party, so those shootings probably took him as much by surprise as everyone else who wasn't aware other guests were carrying guns.

Admittedly, I'm making some reasonable assumptions here that may be inaccurate, but I'm pretty sure if Aldon had a more active role in his guests having weapons, and somehow facilitated other people getting shot, he'd be facing prison time.

The second charge of firing a pistol (not at anybody) involves less ambiguity. I don't think anyone doubts he actually did that. I do think there is room for mitigation, given how the party turned out. I think part of the problem was that he fired the gun into the air (IIRC), and if that's the case, he might have been able to mitigate the charge if he had fired into the grass instead.

The third thing about the "assault weapons" possession charges, I have a really hard time with. Those guns were not involved in any part of the disorder, were out of the way in a closet, and I don't believe the police really had any reason to be searching. (Maybe if drugs were found at the party?) But this is a case where Aldon was the victim of being on a team in a state where the gun laws are rather draconian -- if Aldon Smith was a Seahawk living in Washington, this would never have been an issue.

That charge in particular is every bit as much BS as the weapons charge Marshawn Lynch was charged with (in the same state, go figure), when he had a pistol in a bag in the trunk of his car. (Where the hell else was he supposed to carry it?)

I lived in California once, for about 10 years. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again (no offense intended to residents of California.)

Winner- Thanks Talon, I don't have to do anything now.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I wonder why Aldon gets to be around the team during his suspension but Gordon does not? Is it simply the league's childish drug policy in effect here or some other factor?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This seems pretty simple to me. When factoring in his rehab he had to also factor in the airport incident were Aldon appeared to be to drunk to spell his own name on the video that was floating around and there was a report from one of the officers involved saying he appeared to be drunk.

I know that Marvin wants everyone to believe Aldon hasn't had a sip since the DUI and after all, Aldon did say he hadn't and he wouldn't lie would he? No that would not be above reproach or the 9er way. Besides it's not like he went out and did something stupid like saying he had a bomb in an airport or anything did he? He did? Oh wait according to Marvin that wasn't what he said and we all know that TSA's agents aren't 9ers so they don't have to be above reproach. Obviously the agent is lying, you know for obvious reasons.

All kidding aside I think it is obvious his actions after getting out of rehab ruined any chance of him getting time off for good behavior because he obviously didn't learn anything. If a heroin addict tells you they just got out of rehab while lying in the street in their own vomit do you think, damn it's a good thing he went to rehab? Uhm no you think well that was a waste.

As for the DA not pressing charges, that is no sign of innocence. Especially when you factor how much trouble Aldon was already in. Maybe the DA just decided not to pile on. Maybe Eddie D. got his brief case out and had lunch with the DA. Who knows but there are many variables and non of those includes Aldon's innocence.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3s1zh287 said:
This seems pretty simple to me. When factoring in his rehab he had to also factor in the airport incident were Aldon appeared to be to drunk to spell his own name on the video that was floating around and there was a report from one of the officers involved saying he appeared to be drunk.

I know that Marvin wants everyone to believe Aldon hasn't had a sip since the DUI and after all, Aldon did say he hadn't and he wouldn't lie would he? No that would not be above reproach or the 9er way. Besides it's not like he went out and did something stupid like saying he had a bomb in an airport or anything did he? He did? Oh wait according to Marvin that wasn't what he said and we all know that TSA's agents aren't 9ers so they don't have to be above reproach. Obviously the agent is lying, you know for obvious reasons.

All kidding aside I think it is obvious his actions after getting out of rehab ruined any chance of him getting time off for good behavior because he obviously didn't learn anything. If a heroin addict tells you they just got out of rehab while lying in the street in their own vomit do you think, damn it's a good thing he went to rehab? Uhm no you think well that was a waste.

As for the DA not pressing charges, that is no sign of innocence. Especially when you factor how much trouble Aldon was already in. Maybe the DA just decided not to pile on. Maybe Eddie D. got his brief case out and had lunch with the DA. Who knows but there are many variables and non of those includes Aldon's innocence.

You touched on something there that to me is the biggest problem with the whole system. It's total BS to me that players can be punished for crimes they are never charged for. This isn't about Aldon either. This has happened to several other players. You are correct in that we don't know if he's lying about not having another sip or about not saying bomb, but simply having suspicion can't be enough to unilaterally make a decision based on what you think MIGHT have happened. That's why the law is written the way it is. The commish gets to be judge, jury, and executioner and is answerable to nobody and his suspensions are completely arbitrary.

I don't think it's in the purview of the league to put itself above the law and dole out punishment that the courts have not.

Yes, it's in the CBA. It was collectively bargained. I just find the entire notion ridiculous and my bet it becomes a huge source of contention in the next CBA.

Marvin49

Reaction score
lsheldon":2py6438r said:
Our Man in Chicago":2py6438r said:
Seems excessive. No one likes make-up calls on the field, and this appears to a be a make-up call off the field.

Don't get me wrong - nothing less than four games would have been sufficient. But one game more than half the season is too rough, in my opinion.

On the other hand, a healthy, rested Aldon Smith coming back in Week 10 (as the SF bye is Week 8)
might give them a wind at their backs just in time to face the weak half of their slate:

@ Giants
vs. Redskins
vs. Seahawks
@ Raiders
@ Seahawks
vs. Chargers
vs. Cardinals

I could see SF going 7-1 during that back seven.

Good thing the Ravens aren't coming to Santa Clara this year - Ray Rice would be in serious jeopardy.

That's probably why it is 9 games. They wanted a full 8 game suspension, and the week-8 bye necessitated making it 9 games.

It's 9 GAMES. Not 9 Weeks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ggoax6l said:
Don't pile on too badly...

Because sooner or later the Seahawks are going to get hit with the same thing.

Lol. No worries. Same reason I've never said anything about PEDs.

Rejoicing over this is expected tho and I can't lie...if I found out a Good Seahawks was going to miss a lot of time, I'd be happy about it. That's why I'm not calling anyone out here...other than Roger Goodell.

Dudes a clown. Commissioner powers have to be addressed in the next CBA.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Marvin49":esu43xhh said:
Popeyejones":esu43xhh said:
BlueTalon":esu43xhh said:
IIRC, Aldon was arrested for DUI subsequent to his stint in rehab. If my memory is accurate, then that is a legitimate reason to disregard rehab in consideration of his punishment, or to minimise such consideration. And if the airport incident was alcohol related, that also mitigates against rehab being a substantial consideration in reducing his punishment.
The rehab immediately followed the DUI, it wasn't before it. The only thing he has been involved with since the rehab was the LAX detainment, which the LA D.A. didn't issue any charges for. That said, FWIW I'm tougher than you on the gun stuff, but I also loved living in california. :)
Correct, the rehab was a response to the DUI.
Weren't there two DUIs? One that prompted the rehab, and one after that?

Marvin49

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3pqhy6uy said:
Marvin49":3pqhy6uy said:
Popeyejones":3pqhy6uy said:
BlueTalon":3pqhy6uy said:
The rehab immediately followed the DUI, it wasn't before it. The only thing he has been involved with since the rehab was the LAX detainment, which the LA D.A. didn't issue any charges for. That said, FWIW I'm tougher than you on the gun stuff, but I also loved living in california. :)
Correct, the rehab was a response to the DUI.
Weren't there two DUIs? One that prompted the rehab, and one after that?

First was like 2 years ago in the offseason. Plead down to a wet reckless. DUI last year was before Colts game, he played in that game, and then spent next 5 weeks in rehab.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":15gqzod1 said:
You touched on something there that to me is the biggest problem with the whole system. It's total BS to me that players can be punished for crimes they are never charged for.

Come on, Marvin. Get real, here. Practically every employer in the country can do this to its employees; what are you smoking? If a boss finds out that an employee is dealing drugs, they can fire them without even reporting them to the police, for instance. There are myriad scandals that result in disciplinary action that aren't even issues relating to the law, too. Look at Stephen A. Smith and how he got suspended for a week or however long it was from ESPN.

Google the phrase "moral turpitude clause", it's one of the few ways universities can get rid of a tenured professor for instance, as well. Don't try to sell us this horse crap about how it's some huge problem with the system, it's everyday reality for almost every employed person in our nation, in terms of what your employer can discipline you for, charges or convictions be damned.

You know it as well as we do.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30vxwfbs said:
Marvin49":30vxwfbs said:
You touched on something there that to me is the biggest problem with the whole system. It's total BS to me that players can be punished for crimes they are never charged for.

Come on, Marvin. Get real, here. Practically every employer in the country can do this to its employees; what are you smoking? If a boss finds out that an employee is dealing drugs, they can fire them without even reporting them to the police, for instance. There are myriad scandals that result in disciplinary action that aren't even issues relating to the law, too. Look at Stephen A. Smith and how he got suspended for a week or however long it was from ESPN.

Google the phrase "moral turpitude clause", it's one of the few ways universities can get rid of a tenured professor for instance, as well. Don't try to sell us this horse crap about how it's some huge problem with the system, it's everyday reality for almost every employed person in our nation, in terms of what your employer can discipline you for, charges or convictions be damned.

You know it as well as we do.

Totally disagree.

It shouldn't be the responsibility to dole out punishment. The teams can release a player (fire him), but they don't need to dole out suspensions and fines.

I've always felt the commish has too much power.

endzorn

Reaction score
I believe if you're famous you should get a free pass on your first felony. This should also apply to NFL discipline. The more famous you are, the lower the punishment should be. Peyton Manning could beat a cheerleader with an axe handle and get an MVP Award for it.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Disagree with it all you want, Marvin, but it's a fact of reality about the employer-employee relationship for almost everybody. You think you want the commissioner to have a lot less power and for the players to have more, but then the NFL would turn into baseball and the NBA in all the negative ways you know I'm referring to. So, no thanks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26lf6sh5 said:
Disagree with it all you want, Marvin, but it's a fact of reality about the employer-employee relationship for almost everybody. You think you want the commissioner to have a lot less power and for the players to have more, but then the NFL would turn into baseball and the NBA in all the negative ways you know I'm referring to. So, no thanks.

Well THATS not true.

Are you trying to say that a guy can get a DUI in all workplaces and lose 1/4 of his pay for the year? Are you saying that an any employer can dole out punishment to people in the workplace for offenses they were never charged for?

That's grounds for a lawsuit. The Commish can do it becuae it was collectively bargained, not because its the norm in all workplaces.

Do you honestly think that NFLPA isn't going to challenge the Commish Powers in the next CBA? Hell, it was a source of contention. in THIS CBA. Hell, the last commish NEVER did this stuff, so don't tell me this is somehow "the norm".

Not close.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lol, if I did all the crap Aldon did but didn't get convicted, my employer - and MOST employers - could FIRE me for cause altogether, Marvin. Your red-colored glasses aren't letting you see this situation very clearly, but that's alright.