Aldon's suspension is nine games

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1b3g69je said:
Not a doubt in my mind Aldon is paying for the Ray RIce debacle.

As for Roger not factoring the rehab, Aldon needed rehab pretty goddamm bad. Right then, in the middle of the season. Rehab was not something he could wait on. If his purpose in going was a lighter sentence from Roger, shame on him,but I don't think that was his purpose.

I hope Aldon gets it right now.

I agree...just sayin NOT factoring in rehab sends the wrong message to players. You want guys to go of their own volition, but getting them there for damn near any reason is a good idea.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":2llw4iz3 said:
Scottemojo":2llw4iz3 said:
Not a doubt in my mind Aldon is paying for the Ray RIce debacle.

As for Roger not factoring the rehab, Aldon needed rehab pretty goddamm bad. Right then, in the middle of the season. Rehab was not something he could wait on. If his purpose in going was a lighter sentence from Roger, shame on him,but I don't think that was his purpose.

I hope Aldon gets it right now.

I agree...just sayin NOT factoring in rehab sends the wrong message to players. You want guys to go of their own volition, but getting them there for damn near any reason is a good idea.
It bodes well for Aldon if he stays sober, assuming he is. The common thread to pretty much all his stupidty seemed to be booze, and even the guns probably would not have come to police attention if not for partying at his house, IIRC.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Having read this whole thread, I have a few opinions and observations.

As a Seahawks fan, I am delighted to see Aldon Smith suspended for 9 games. That said, I do think some of the punishment is BS.

IIRC, Aldon was arrested for DUI subsequent to his stint in rehab. If my memory is accurate, then that is a legitimate reason to disregard rehab in consideration of his punishment, or to minimise such consideration. And if the airport incident was alcohol related, that also mitigates against rehab being a substantial consideration in reducing his punishment.

The firearms charges, IMO, are far more squirly. There were three components IIRC -- a couple people getting shot, not by Aldon, but at Aldon's party; discharging firearm (shooting a pistol into the air); and possession of "assault weapons".

The first of those, two people being shot by someone other than Aldon, seems to me to be a case of guilt by proximity. AFAIK, there are no laws or NFL rules against holding a party, and I'm not really sure how Aldon can be held responsible for other people illegally carrying weapons into his party. Yes, if it's his house, he has liability, I get that. But (I'm pretty sure) it's not like he invited people to bring weapons to his party, so those shootings probably took him as much by surprise as everyone else who wasn't aware other guests were carrying guns.

Admittedly, I'm making some reasonable assumptions here that may be inaccurate, but I'm pretty sure if Aldon had a more active role in his guests having weapons, and somehow facilitated other people getting shot, he'd be facing prison time.

The second charge of firing a pistol (not at anybody) involves less ambiguity. I don't think anyone doubts he actually did that. I do think there is room for mitigation, given how the party turned out. I think part of the problem was that he fired the gun into the air (IIRC), and if that's the case, he might have been able to mitigate the charge if he had fired into the grass instead.

The third thing about the "assault weapons" possession charges, I have a really hard time with. Those guns were not involved in any part of the disorder, were out of the way in a closet, and I don't believe the police really had any reason to be searching. (Maybe if drugs were found at the party?) But this is a case where Aldon was the victim of being on a team in a state where the gun laws are rather draconian -- if Aldon Smith was a Seahawk living in Washington, this would never have been an issue.

That charge in particular is every bit as much BS as the weapons charge Marshawn Lynch was charged with (in the same state, go figure), when he had a pistol in a bag in the trunk of his car. (Where the hell else was he supposed to carry it?)

I lived in California once, for about 10 years. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again (no offense intended to residents of California.)

Smoke

Reaction score
Im sure there was alot of negotiating that went down between the NFLPA the 9ers and the NFL. Aldon had 2 different charges from 2 different occasions AT THE SAME TIME. Im sure the NFL wanted to suspend him for the year, and 9 games was probably a compromise that the rehab factored into.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The writing for this was on the wall when the NFL realeased their tougher disciplinary stance yesterday while still sitting on the Aldon suspension. Before that I was expecting 8 or so games with the five already missed reducing it to 2-4, but after yesterday the optics on that clearly weren't going to be good enough. So, it is what it is. He fugged up, and also probably suffered from some bad timing in his fug ups. But NFL suspensions have always and will always be primarily about PR, so it's hard to really complain about.

Agreed with Marvin though about it being a really bad precedent to not take voluntary games missed for inpatient treatment into the equation (which has been widely reported; weird meme in this thread that it hasn't). Aldon will basically be the last player to ever get serious non-court mandated help during a season again. If they were dead set on 9 games they should have just made it 14 with a reduction to 9, IMO. It gets them to the same place and doesn't give off the (correct) impression that this is about league PR more than anything else (which we of course already knew, no need to feign naivety about that, but LOL at them not even bothering to obscure it).

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Seems excessive. No one likes make-up calls on the field, and this appears to a be a make-up call off the field.

Don't get me wrong - nothing less than four games would have been sufficient. But one game more than half the season is too rough, in my opinion.

On the other hand, a healthy, rested Aldon Smith coming back in Week 10 (as the SF bye is Week 8) might give them a wind at their backs just in time to face the weak half of their slate:

@ Giants
vs. Redskins
vs. Seahawks
@ Raiders
@ Seahawks
vs. Chargers
vs. Cardinals

I could see SF going 7-1 during that back seven.

Good thing the Ravens aren't coming to Santa Clara this year - Ray Rice would be in serious jeopardy.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jiq85zt said:
Total BS by Goodell. Why even say it will if it clearly didn't. Nice way to encourage players to get help. Good job idiot.
You know Goodell didn't want to give him like a year how...?

Also...If Aldon didn't seem contrite in his meeting with Goodell, you'd want to throw the book at a player in that situation, too. I have no clue how that meeting went, but, I'm just sayin'.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1c22wpt4 said:

As a Seahawks fan, I am delighted to see Aldon Smith suspended for 9 games. That said, I do think some of the punishment is BS.

IIRC, Aldon was arrested for DUI subsequent to his stint in rehab. If my memory is accurate, then that is a legitimate reason to disregard rehab in consideration of his punishment, or to minimise such consideration. And if the airport incident was alcohol related, that also mitigates against rehab being a substantial consideration in reducing his punishment.

The firearms charges, IMO, are far more squirly. There were three components IIRC -- a couple people getting shot, not by Aldon, but at Aldon's party; discharging firearm (shooting a pistol into the air); and possession of "assault weapons".

The first of those, two people being shot by someone other than Aldon, seems to me to be a case of guilt by proximity. AFAIK, there are no laws or NFL rules against holding a party, and I'm not really sure how Aldon can be held responsible for other people illegally carrying weapons into his party. Yes, if it's his house, he has liability, I get that. But (I'm pretty sure) it's not like he invited people to bring weapons to his party, so those shootings probably took him as much by surprise as everyone else who wasn't aware other guests were carrying guns.

Admittedly, I'm making some reasonable assumptions here that may be inaccurate, but I'm pretty sure if Aldon had a more active role in his guests having weapons, and somehow facilitated other people getting shot, he'd be facing prison time.

The second charge of firing a pistol (not at anybody) involves less ambiguity. I don't think anyone doubts he actually did that. I do think there is room for mitigation, given how the party turned out. I think part of the problem was that he fired the gun into the air (IIRC), and if that's the case, he might have been able to mitigate the charge if he had fired into the grass instead.

The third thing about the "assault weapons" possession charges, I have a really hard time with. Those guns were not involved in any part of the disorder, were out of the way in a closet, and I don't believe the police really had any reason to be searching. (Maybe if drugs were found at the party?) But this is a case where Aldon was the victim of being on a team in a state where the gun laws are rather draconian -- if Aldon Smith was a Seahawk living in Washington, this would never have been an issue.

That charge in particular is every bit as much BS as the weapons charge Marshawn Lynch was charged with (in the same state, go figure), when he had a pistol in a bag in the trunk of his car. (Where the hell else was he supposed to carry it?)

I lived in California once, for about 10 years. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again (no offense intended to residents of California.)

The rehab immediately followed the DUI, it wasn't before it. The only thing he has been involved with since the rehab was the LAX detainment, which the LA D.A. didn't issue any charges for. That said, FWIW I'm tougher than you on the gun stuff, but I also loved living in california. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3fbmwt15 said:
BlueTalon":3fbmwt15 said:

The rehab immediately followed the DUI, it wasn't before it. The only thing he has been involved with since the rehab was the LAX detainment, which the LA D.A. didn't issue any charges for. That said, FWIW I'm tougher than you on the gun stuff, but I also loved living in california. :)

Correct, the rehab was a response to the DUI.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The ninnies paid him while he went to rehab correct?

If so then those games missed didn't hurt him at all. Only the team. Missing 9 game checks due to league suspension actually hurts him.

Makes since to me why Rodge ignored the rehab time, as he should have.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1vpzsn0v said:
The ninnies paid him while he went to rehab correct?

If so then those games missed didn't hurt him at all. Only the team. Missing 9 game checks due to league suspension actually hurts him.

Makes since to me why Rodge ignored the rehab time, as he should have.

Then they should have fined him...as I said before to Shadowhawk.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":jr446oth said:
Just thought this was funny in light of everything...

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn · 1h
NFL's new disciplinary policy regarding domestic violence will not be retroactively applied. That should benefit #Panthers Greg Hardy

Wonder what the new policy would have meant for Brooks when he decided to break a bottle over a teammate's head.

I know it's not spousal abuse but I seem to recall reading that part of the new policy has to do with assaults and whatnot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ht8uut4h said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/505445602562674688[/tweet]
I'm shocked! Didn't know Rog had it in him. Gotta give Rog credit here, good job commish! :th2thumbs:
Also gotta give Roland credit, he was right, I was wrong, so kudos to Roland for being right! Good job iRo! :thirishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":twnma7k2 said:
hawknation2014":twnma7k2 said:
Marvin (emphatically claimed Aldon would not even get six games) has been OWNED.

aldon_smith_dui.JPG

And so was many many hawks fans on this board also. Many of the said 4 games dropped to 2.
I'm guilty, I thought 2 Max.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":157hhrq9 said:
Laloosh":157hhrq9 said:
Marvin49":157hhrq9 said:
Funny that you actually spent the time to find that tho.

That was a pretty webzonian comment, Marv. Does deflecting your pain onto others help you to cope?

Marv is upset i get it. What mad me mad is the lack of fair penalty on all players. How many times did Josh Gordon get in trouble before his year long pop. And we beat the wife beater to death already. Goodell is using him as an example. Period.

So how's Marshawn was case going? Better be careful he might get 9 games but maybe he will get a raise. Who knows with Goodell. (YES LAST STATEMENT WAS FILLED WITH SARCASIME ) my point is Goodell has lost his way and he is attempting to dig his way out.

I have no sympathy for Aldon. I hate people who drink and drive. There is no place for them in society. I had a family member killed by a dui. So f him. If he get better cool but if he don't later dude
I hear ya Kats. I think the NFL and the NFLPA need to get together and get the penalties to be more in line with each other and the offense. While Alldumb is clearly an epic idiot, the Ray Rice 2 game suspension comparably is a joke.

hawkstrap

Reaction score
We pay off the refs, hold every wide receiver, hit in too many OTAs, pipe in noise and have an Adderall dispensary in the locker room. Yet we get a Lombardi? Go figure

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":wp927qpl said:
I'm shocked! Didn't know Rog had it in him. Gotta give Rog credit here, good job commish! :th2thumbs:
Also gotta give Roland credit, he was right, I was wrong, so kudos to Roland for being right! Good job iRo! :thirishdrinkers:
:)

Just to be clear, I'm not a Goodell lover. I'm just not a hater, either. I have no doubt he'll still do things here and there that annoy me.

I think all Seahawks fans can agree that this is a pretty righteous sentence, though. :D :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":35ui2c7q said:
Sports Hernia":35ui2c7q said:
:)

Just to be clear, I'm not a Goodell lover. I'm just not a hater, either. I have no doubt he'll still do things here and there that annoy me.

I think all Seahawks fans can agree that this is a pretty righteous sentence, though. :D :D
Just wanted to make sure you got your due. I have no problems admitting someone else was right and I was wrong despite how I come across on this forum at times. 8)