After about 20 shots i realized to check our yards allowed..

Tokadub

Reaction score
So i just drank 10 shots of Tequila and a bottle of wine tonight... I'm not bragging how much I drink, it's pretty bad honestly... but it's corona virus weird mode for me lately...

Then I had this weird thought in my head... are we actually allowing the most yards of any team in the entire league after 2 games?

I donno why it took me 20 drinks to realize that I should check this but sure enough... I was correct...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/v ... me/dir/asc

We are dead last in yards allowed per game in the entire league...

I don't think that's sustainable in terms of Super Bowl, our defense has to actually do stuff soon. We might have a season which 16-18 games are amazing but we will most likely lose one (season ending game) randomly if we continue to allow this much yardage.

I'm having a really fun time this season so far, don't get me wrong... but that stat is disturbing...

Just my 2 cents is if we have no QB pressure than you need to switch defensive scheme to be more aggressive vs passing games. We don't need so many defensive line men (on average) if they don't even do anything on passing plays?

Everything else I could say about this season so far is positive, so 99% of what is in my mind is we are doing awesome this is fun season but... I don't think that's helpful if anyone on their team happens to read this...

So I'll say my only other criticism...

Our time out usage is sorta bad in these 2 games... I think if we didn't waste any time outs the Patriots would of just straight up run out of time before getting to our 1 yard line... especially if we would of ran on that last 3rd and 1...

I don't have a problem we took a shot on our last offensive drive but, I think we should of done it on 2nd down if anything... or just run it 3 times make them use their last timeout...

I don't think Cam Newton is good enough to make this game so close if we didn't waste timeouts and if we managed the clock effectively late in the game, just my opinion. WE ALMOST THREW THE GAME... that's what I mean we can't continue to allow the most yards by opponents in the league we will eventually lose an important game and not win a super bowl if this continues...

Other than that i have nothing negative to say, this is a great team and fun to watch
:snack:

Mick063

Reaction score
Your concern is noted.

I'll get some anxiety when they lose more than one game in a row. If They go .500 the rest of the way, they finish 9-7 and very likely get to post season with the extended playoff format. Only the #1 seed gets a bye so there is that.

I have not felt this confident about this team since 2013/2014 and that is while fully grasping the current state of the defense.

You can have self induced anxiety by playing the "what if" game regardless of how well the team is playing. Conversely, when the underwhelming New York Giants upset the undefeated New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, the last thing those Giant fans were thinking of was how awful that team could look at times during the regular season. Myself, I'll just enjoy a historical season by Russ. He may not be able to ever replicate this type of season again, so I think the time calls for us to crack open a beer and just watch. Soak it all in. It is something to reminisce about after reaching old age.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Remember, there was no preseason. Also, the Hawks are 2nd against the run, and both the Falcons and Patriots started racking up passing yards after Seattle was already up by double digits. Matt Ryan had over 200 passing yards in the 4th quarter, after the Hawks were up by 19, and Belicheat will always figure out a way to scheme his way back into a game. We are very bend but don't break, and we still haven't seen Darrell Taylor yet. Let's get a little further before panicking.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
All legitimate portents of postseason doom aside, this thread probably had the best opening of any on .NET this year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Damn! 10 shots and a bottle of wine, and could still post without slurring and typos? That's some weak-ass Tequila.

Try this next time: (and chase it with some Mad Dog?)
don-fulano-blanco-fuerte-100-proof-2__61980.1558502227.jpg

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If I had that much to drink there wouldn’t be a thought in my head. I’d be passed out til Tuesday.

Rat

Reaction score
Damn, when I take 20 shots, I end up texting embarrassing, incomprehensible stuff to ex-girlfriends. You somehow become the poet laureate.

andyh64000

Reaction score
The defense has a lot of new pieces, I think they get it together this week.

10 shots and a bottle of wine is only 15 drinks ;). If I had that many drinks I wouldn't be able to think about much of anything for 48 hours.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I think the OP is on to something here.

A 2020 .NET challenge?

Thinking about starting a new thread on .NET?

Step 1: Drink 10 shots of tequila and a bottle of wine.

Step 2/Option 1: If, after such a Herculean amount of booze, you can construct a coherent and reasoned critique like the one above, go ahead and hit Submit.

Step 2/Option 2 :If you can’t speak in sentences, or find the keyboard, or your pants, go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

If Step2/Option 2 results in repeated failure to post a critique, you’ll at least wake up somewhere in 2021 and, well, at least 2020 will be over!

Everyone wins!

Own The West

Reaction score
Why'd you stop? Another 5-6 shots and you might have realized the cure for COVID...

Note: this is a joke a not medical advice :141847_bnono:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I used to be a lead singer of a crappy local band. Like most small bands, we literally got paid in alcohol after every show, in addition to take at door.

So I am no stranger to drinking large quantities of alcohol, even though I cannot drink like that anymore.

If I had that much tequila, I would either be trying to fight people or shake everyone's hand. Mixing tequila with wine? That would be the recipe for the spins for me. How are you even coming up with coherent ideas under those conditions? *

Even crazier, the analysis is spot on.

We need to be more aggressive in how we put pressure on the QB. I think we had a plan for that and the injury to Blair really is going to hurt us. But we have to do something.

And for God's sake, that 3 man front needs to be used sparingly if ever. If we do that, we better be sending LBs too. The very reason Cam converted in the shadow of our end zone was that stupid 3 man rush.(I know it works sometimes. But I have always hated that thing.)

Less pressure more coverage doesn't work against better QBs or even washed up QBs that would prefer to dress like a bird instead of jump on a fumble. If you give a QB time, they will kill you as we almost found out. Unless we are sending LBs, corners, and safeties from all directions while we keep enough people in coverage, that 3 man front does not help us.

* My ideas under that much tequila are so much worse. When I drank that much tequila at a show, we then had the great idea to have a hot pepper eating contest on stage. A garbage bag full of misc peppers turned into my guitarist and drummer both yakking in the street and my bassist somehow getting what I hope was just peppers and not puke in his eyes. Being lucid with good ideas after any quantity of tequila is like 'Drunken Master'. You need your own YouTube channel. Something like 'Drunk History' but with football analysis.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Being a professional wino I am no stranger with posting after many glasses of wine, but my God if I mixed that with 10 shots of Tequilla I don't think I could find the toilet let alone the keyboard. Well done maestro!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This offense is the strength of the team. That we are stomping on the gas from the opening kickoff -- it is going to have situational consequences. One of which is going to be that teams are going to have to keep up with us. Yards are going to be surrendered as a result.

Honestly, the yards don't bother me one bit. Even at our best, we tended to give up yards underneath and allow for sustained possessions to the other team. Until they either made a mistake, or ran out of underneath real estate. Winning this way is going to result in giving up a LOT of yards. And in particular being up double digits in the fourth quarter is going to surrender a lot of garbage time yards. It's the scoring that bothers me.

The dual effect of being an outscore your opponent team, coupled with having virtually the worst DL in the NFL, is that every single QB is nearly assured to have their best game of the season against us. Even journeymen QBs in this league will get to comfortably go through their progressions in slothlike fashion.

In addition, we're having to blitz extensively now. A result of a hideous DL and the fact we have quality blitz talent with Wagner and Adams. So teams are going to hit a lot more on big plays if they beat it. That's a significant difference between our defenses in past years. We are giving up chunk plays because we're having to desperately compensate for the defensive line.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The defense is not as good as advertised. That being said if we continue playing to this team's strength, we can still win the Super Bowl. The defense reminds me of the 2005 Seahawks, gives a lot of yards but can hold people from scoring and can get a few cheeky turnovers. If we're going to be successful though we're going to have to really lay into Russell Wilson, and not revert to Pete Ball, that simply will not work with the team as is.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3en7i55r said:
The defense is not as good as advertised. That being said if we continue playing to this team's strength, we can still win the Super Bowl. The defense reminds me of the 2005 Seahawks, gives a lot of yards but can hold people from scoring and can get a few cheeky turnovers. If we're going to be successful though we're going to have to really lay into Russell Wilson, and not revert to Pete Ball, that simply will not work with the team as is.

Nice take, the 2005 Seahawks defense as a comp for this group! I like it!

My memory of the 2005 team was an unstoppable offense, with a crappy defense, BUT, by the end of the season, the defense improved to "average", and the offense was still unstoppable. Unstoppable O + Average D = Superb Owl, baby!

It's indeed possible we could get there and win with this formula, especially with Pete coaching up a young D. Doesn't need to be elite D, just average and opportunistic, e.g., getting turnovers while playing with a lead.

Kind of the flip side of the Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens SB35 champions team, and the Brad Johnson Tampa Bay Buccaneers SB37 champions, where lockdown defense + average offense = Superb Owl.

Mick063

Reaction score
Russell welcomes the struggle on defense for two reasons:

It put's him in a position where he has to throw the rock.
It put's him in a position where he will, at times, have to carry the team.

Let me put this in perspective:

I wasn't even a college hoops fan at the time, but I will never forget the time when Danny Manning basically put the entire Kansas team on his back, and carried them on a six game streak through the NCAA tournament. It was a legendary, unforgettable performance.

Another example: I often call Eric Dickerson the greatest running back ever. Why?
Does anyone remember the names of any of those other Ram players that played with him in his prime? Didn't think so. When Dickerson got the ball, EVERYBODY (in the stands, on the sidelines, watching on television), everybody knew he was going to get the ball. There were 10 defenders on the line of scrimmage. Dickerson would still bust huge gains.

These events happened a very long time ago. I still remember them vividly.

The point is this........overcoming great adversity lends to the greatness. Builds the fairy tale ending. Makes a competitor legendary.

I kind of dig this idea of Russell having to overcome great adversity. Being on the West Coast, he needs it to overcome the built in bias.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fun memories. I'm with you on Eric Dickerson being front and center in the convo about who was THE greatest RB ever.

Pete has rarely turned Russell the Gunslinger (as seen in college) loose for more than a game at a time. Except that stretch in 2015 IIRC. I agree with your assessment, that Russell will thrive when asked to carry the team, and the team will raise their play for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Dickerson had Jackie Slater and Hannah on one side and Vince who the hell is Ferragamo as a QB, they had to give it to Dickerson. Then they got Ellard but never had a stand out QB, pace holders like Brock, Bartkowski past his prime and then Everett.

I would take Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Chuck Muncie, Sanders, Sayers, Payton, just off the top of my head over Dickerson. Dickerson was great at the slice gap running, but he was never someone I would as to get tough yards, he was always worried about getting hurt. Basically if it was between the 20's and he could get into the open he was good.