Cowboys - Not a loss to hang our heads about.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I didn't get to see hardly any of the game. Had food poisoning and was barfing up a lung.

I just managed to watch a quick version of All Access Seahawks from the Cowboys game.

I don't think it was a loss to hang our heads about - to echo the comments at the end of the broadcast.

Dunno if we're 9ers ready - and the clip didn't show probably a bunch of problems on defense - but I didn't see a slaughter.

Am I missing something?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Nobody is 49ers ready.

The thing that stings for most about a game like this is they thought the Seahawks would get manhandled/blow out but they could have won it. So it feels like something got taken away.

seabowl

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here is devastated by this one loss. What most are upset about though is the steady non-progress of this team especially on the defensive side of the ball. Watching the same terrible zone defensive scheme, week in and week out for 5+ years without much success, nor change is what’s most disappointing.

James in PA

Reaction score
The final play call was next-level stupidity. And Tyler had an uncharacteristic drop that really killed our offensive momentum. But the defense (or lack thereof) was the real story. It is so sad how Pete cannot figure out modern NFL offenses after all these years.

cymatica

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here is devastated by this one loss. What most are upset about though is the steady non-progress of this team especially on the defensive side of the ball. Watching the same terrible zone defensive scheme, week in and week out for 5+ years without much success, nor change is what’s most disappointing.
It's the reason I lost any faith I had in Pete. When you have other coaches flat out saying they are easy to gameplan for because they know exactly what's coming, something is wrong. Even the Rams a few years ago were openly happy they had to play us in the playoffs, they knew Pete was incapable of changing it up.

bileever

Reaction score
I didn't get to see hardly any of the game. Had food poisoning and was barfing up a lung.

I just managed to watch a quick version of All Access Seahawks from the Cowboys game.

I don't think it was a loss to hang our heads about - to echo the comments at the end of the broadcast.

Dunno if we're 9ers ready - and the clip didn't show probably a bunch of problems on defense - but I didn't see a slaughter.

Am I missing something?
First of all, sorry you were sick! Food poisoning is the worst.

Second, there were a bunch of problems on defense. We basically could not stop them. The tackling was terrible. Jordyn Brooks got hurt. We got no pressure on Dak, and he had all day. We did get some sacks, but those were coverage sacks.

The encouraging thing was that the offense played well against a decent Dallas defense, well enough to win if the defense had been even average.

Are we ready for the next game? The 49ers just decimated a good Eagles team, 42-19 even though they had a key player ejected. We're not nearly physical enough or fast enough or talented enough to match up with them. It's gonna take a miracle.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
First of all, sorry you were sick! Food poisoning is the worst.

Second, there were a bunch of problems on defense. We basically could not stop them. The tackling was terrible. Jordyn Brooks got hurt. We got no pressure on Dak, and he had all day. We did get some sacks, but those were coverage sacks.
It was not just food poisoning - it was solanine poisoning from some potatoes. NEVER eat even slightly green or potatoes that have sprouted. It's just not worth it. I was like death on a stick.

Anyhow - to the point - Tackling has been such a problem all season. Adams is the worst offender, but jesus - it's like we need 5 tackle 'attempts' to get someone down.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There is an interesting article in The Athletic about what went wrong in the Dallas game. They put the blame on the defensive secondary, noting that the front-7 put good pressure on Dak, sacking him 4 times. As they acknowledged, you can blame the refs for some of this. However, as Wagner said, if the refs are calling it close on PI, it’s up to the players to adjust. The article says the Seahawks have invested a lot of draft capital and $$$ into this defense, especially the secondary, but we’re not seeing the desired results. Why? Are our defense coaches doing a good job?

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was not just food poisoning - it was solanine poisoning from some potatoes. NEVER eat even slightly green or potatoes that have sprouted. It's just not worth it. I was like death on a stick.

Damn dude! That is some scary stuff. Glad you recovered and I will be extra vigilant about any green or sprouted potatoes!

As for the game, the offense was legit, defense regressed. Can't seem to put a complete game together to save our lives.

For me the writing was on the wall when we gave that game away to the Rams in LA, and the next week completely laid an egg on national TV at home against the 9ers.

That's when I knew something is wrong with this team this season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There was an actual game plan against the Cowboys. Instead of whatever obvious placeholder game plan that Pete hangs out there for certain games (we all know what that looks like - Russ/Geno standing bewildered in the pocket looking around for 7 seconds, finding nothing, sack/dumb throw), the ball was going places.

This happens periodically with pretty much any team not running Tom Brady at QB. I just wish I knew the reason why.

morgulon1

Reaction score
There was an actual game plan against the Cowboys. Instead of whatever obvious placeholder game plan that Pete hangs out there for certain games (we all know what that looks like - Russ/Geno standing bewildered in the pocket looking around for 7 seconds, finding nothing, sack/dumb throw), the ball was going places.

This happens periodically with pretty much any team not running Tom Brady at QB. I just wish I knew the reason why.
Common denominator= Pete

RiverDog

Reaction score

Am I missing something?
Lots of penalties, including a couple that were BS. The officiating really sucked. Not that it's an excuse for losing.

A couple of posters had pointed out that until our game with them, that the Cowboys had not beaten a team with a winning record, and they damn near lost to us at home, so there's a good argument for them being overrated. I guess we'll find out this weekend as they'll be playing the Eagles.

As far as our being ready for the 49'ers, I see nothing that would indicate that we're anymore ready for them than we were on Thanksgiving. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm anticipating another beat down.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.

Am I missing something?
ALL loses are "loses to hang your head about" when they heavily, negatively affect your chances of making it to a Wildcard game.

But I do get where you're coming from.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't know man, go watch the fourth quarter again. How effortless it was for Dallas to move the ball on their last drive, and how hard Seattle offense made everything look. Including gonig 0-3 on fourth downs.

Optimus25

Reaction score
It was the S old S that caused me to not sleep and have a hazy black fog the entire next day and a half.

giving up a 3rd and 16? ok, it happens i guess. But we had ONE F-ing person between the receiver, (who was just a check down by the way), and the sticks. ONE...ONE GD defender between a player and a 3rd and 16 first down.

CeeDee Lamb went nuclear and Pete & CO. did basically nothing that i could tell to stop it. Call me crazy but i go by the old adage, 'i'm going to stop that MFer no matter what. (coming into the game this is what i say). Michael Gallup? yeah, he can beat us all day, IDGAF. No matter what, whatever it takes, Lamb is not going to beat me'. But that's just me.

Jason Myers might be head Fd. WHEN WILL IT END? WHEN WILL WE HAVE A NORMAL KICKER AGAIN?

Geno played awesome enough until it came time to win. Then you know, when it's 4th down, just run backwards and take a sack. Who cares you DUMB MF? just throw the ball 40 yards like a punt and see what happens.

But as you can tell, i'm handling it well 🤪